mtb'er

I need camera recommendations

I haven't had to buy a camera in many years. Early last year, my tiny Sony CyberShot T7 malfunctioned after several years of snapping good-enough-for-me photos (including this one that Dirt Rag used ). I've since used my girlfriend's old Canon PowerShot SD800IS... but I just dropped it on the driveway and it's done. Time for a new camera.

Wish list:
    1. Fits in my bike shorts pocket for easy/quick retrieval, so I can get the shot of a buddy who's quickly approaching. I wouldn't want a camera that's larger/thicker than the Canon SD800.

2. Pretty good zoom... I liked the Canon zoom better than the Sony zoom, but beggars can't be choosers on such a thin camera, right?

3. I really don't need a 16 megapixel camera... I'm not printing billboards. I'm perfectly fine with shooting pix that are 2 megapixels at most... I mostly share my photos via email, MTBR, Facebook, etc.

4. Pretty good in low light situations (e.g. shooting a rider while in a forest without direct sunlight.

5. I don't want to spend $500 or even $300 for that matter. If there's a solid candidate out there, I'll be looking for a used one.

Sorry I don't speak "camera" very well.. I just like taking photos and sharing them. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I purchased myself a Pentax WG-1 about a year ago, 14.1mp, for underwater use and accidental drops and whatnot. Its an awesome weather proof camera and takes some amazing pics for not being a DSLR of course. They recently came out with a WG2 i believe haven't tested or messed with it but I'm sure it will be as good as the 1. Its under 300 bucks so maybe that's something in your price range. also does some awesome macro shots as close as 1cm from the subject. You may want to consider this since you ride and carry the camera at the same time. I could send you some sample images when I get some time if you would like.

P.S. i cannot post links because i dont have enough posts. Please just copy paste. Thanks.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    I haven't had to buy a camera in many years. Early last year, my tiny Sony CyberShot T7 malfunctioned after several years of snapping good-enough-for-me photos (including this one that Dirt Rag used ). I've since used my girlfriend's old Canon PowerShot SD800IS... but I just dropped it on the driveway and it's done. Time for a new camera.

Wish list:
    1. Fits in my bike shorts pocket for easy/quick retrieval, so I can get the shot of a buddy who's quickly approaching. I wouldn't want a camera that's larger/thicker than the Canon SD800.

2. Pretty good zoom... I liked the Canon zoom better than the Sony zoom, but beggars can't be choosers on such a thin camera, right?

3. I really don't need a 16 megapixel camera... I'm not printing billboards. I'm perfectly fine with shooting pix that are 2 megapixels at most... I mostly share my photos via email, MTBR, Facebook, etc.

4. Pretty good in low light situations (e.g. shooting a rider while in a forest without direct sunlight.

5. I don't want to spend $500 or even $300 for that matter. If there's a solid candidate out there, I'll be looking for a used one.

Sorry I don't speak "camera" very well.. I just like taking photos and sharing them. Thanks!
    If you like Sony, look for a used cybershot DSC-W90. 12MP, shoots 720p video, and has good image quality. I would suspect you could get one on ebay for pretty darn cheap.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Canon S95. It's a little over $300 but it's worth it. It's small and the low light quality is the best I've seen in a P&S camera. It has more megapixels than you (or I) need but I find the extra megapixels handy when I want to do some digital cropping. The S95 isn't the fastest camera on the planet. If you want to catch mtb action, you have to pre-focus. Also, you can't take 2 photos in quick succession so it's not the camera for you if you have a group of riders riding in close range and want to shoot each one as they go by.

I just bought a Pentax WG2 for kayaking (it's waterproof and shockproof) and it doesn't compare to the Canon S95 in terms of low-light picture quality and it's larger.

All of the photos in this gallery except 3-24-12 SMBA photos were taken with the Canon S95. The 3-24-12 photos were taken with a Fuji F50 which is inferior to the Canon S95 in low-light shooting.

Congrats on the Dirt Rag photo - it's very nice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've had really good luck with the Panasonic Travel Zoom series cameras. The old ones are are "TZ" something, the newer ones are "DMC" something. They generally have great glass (leica) have a pretty good span between wide angle and zoom, and good electronics that give you fighting chance at taking good shots.

mtb'er
    Thanks for the recs! While there probably aren't many "bad" cameras in the $150-$350 price range (new), that Canon S95 is intriguing, cause of size and low light capability. I'm fine with pre-focusing, panning, etc. The multi-photo issue (or lack thereof) might be an issue, but I found an online manual and it says it has a "continuous shooting" mode. miatagal96 - are you saying that this mode doesn't work well?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I need camera recommendations-capture.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I got a Panasonic TS-4 for (early) fathers day. Its their newest shock/waterproof model. Panasonic launches rugged DMC-TS4 / FT4: Digital Photography Review

I haven't really had a chance to wring it out yet. Hopefully I can get the kids to hit he ASRA with me this afternoon and I can try it out on the trail. I think the waterproof camera is probably not a bad idea for a MTB camera as a sweaty jersey pocket or a leaking camel bak could definitely threaten a regular camera. Hopefully I'll have something to post this evening.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I haven't tried continuous shootin mode. I'll have to try it - it may solve some of my problems, especially when I want to get a number of riders in close succession - I guess I should read the instruction manual.

The time I really had problems with the speed between shots was when I tried to change the zoom between shooting, e.g. I had it zoomed out when the rider was farther away, then I tied to change to wider-angle as the rider got closer to me.

The other thing I didn't mention about the S95 that I really like is the ability to go speed priority and set the speed. When its dark in the woods and you shoot in 'auto' mode, the speed is usually too slow to capture riders unless you are in a situation where you can pan. So with the speed-priority capability, you can set the speed wherever you need to. Other cameras may have the ability to do this via a 'sports' mode, but I'm used to a DSLR and like the ability to set the speed I want and know what speed I'm shooting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    You're correct in your thinking however since most people equate MP's with camera quality, everything now is mega pixels, mega pixels, mega pixels. Even in the DSLR world, where most people should know better, even the low end consumer level cameras are approaching 20+MP. The newest low end Nikon DSLR has 24MP in fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    You're correct in your thinking however since most people equate MP's with camera quality, everything now is mega pixels, mega pixels, mega pixels. Even in the DSLR world, where most people should know better, even the low end consumer level cameras are approaching 20+MP. The newest low end Nikon DSLR has 24MP in fact.
    heh heh... maybe the camera makers area also making money from selling external hard drives and other storage solutions

The megapixel marketing kinda reminds me of the old Steve Martin googlephonic bit:

"I bought a Stereo! Wow! With two speakers!
    But then I heard the quad with the four speakers and I was like this is it, so I got rid of the stereo and got the quad.
    Iím listening to this thing and Iím like 'Hey this sounds like SH*T!'
    So, I got rid of that and got the dodecaphonic with the 12 speakers.
    This was more to my likingÖfor a while. But the gear gets pretty sophisticated pretty fast and I got rid of that and got the milliphonic with the 1,000 speakers.
    And Iím listening to that one and Iím like, 'Hey, this sounds like SH*T too!
    So, I traded that in and got the googlephonic, which is the highest number of speakers you can have before infinity.
    Sounds like SH*T!
    So, then I said, 'Hey, maybe itís the needle!'
    I had the typical diamond needle. I searched around got the moonrock needle, cost me 3 million bucks, but what the hey. So, now I have a googlephonic stereo with a moonrock needle.

...Sounds like sh*t."

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I still have my late '70's vintage Luxman R-1040 receiver and Mission 770 speakers and they sound awesome!

mtbr member
    I would go with one of the Sony NEX camera's and a pancake lens. Or maybe even the newly announced Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100. Or a Nikon V1. Or a Panasonic DMC-GF5. At least these have a large sensor to combat sensor noise and give you usable depth of field.

Yes, they all have too many pixels, but these pixels are better then those of yesterdays camera's. I'm sure you're familiar with dpreview.com?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    try Canon Powershot S100. it's an upgrade from s95

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    If you like Sony, look for a used cybershot DSC-W90. 12MP, shoots 720p video, and has good image quality. I would suspect you could get one on ebay for pretty darn cheap.
    The size of the W90 is convenient and it has indeed many functions. My wife has one.

However the image quality lacks some. Mind you, I'm comparing it against a Canon SX110.

The SX110 is a pretty good camera, but unfortunately it does not have the form factor the OP is looking for.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    You could check out the, Olympus VR-340, I has vibration reduction and a decent 16MP. 10x zoom and fits in your pocket. I purchased one for under $100.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I second zonoskar's recomendation of the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100, which has a sensor with the same size as Nikon 1 but maybe with better quality. It is also smaller than any of the mirroless cam (like the Nikon 1) with lenses attached. But it's not really available yet.

Aside from that, I recommend the Olympus/Panasonic m4/3 cameras (better lens selection that Sony NEX) like Panasonic GX1 or Olympus E-PM1. The NEX only has one pancake lens, and it sucks optically. But since you're in a budget, take a look at the GF2 w/ 14/2.5, which is less than $400 new.

Actually, I'm planning to get the Olympus E-M5 to take to the trails because it is weather sealed; it is the only weather sealed mirrorless and the cheapest weather sealed iLC (inter-changeable lens camera) and has IQ on-par with the top APS-C mirrorless/DSLR cams. I would mount my 20/1.7 pancake (good lens) on it and bring one zoom (like a 14-150mm or 9-18mm) on rides.

I currently have the E-PL2 - with the 20/1.7, I can pocket it (with the hood removed) or put it in my saddle bag:

Last edited by flipmac; 06-21-2012 at 09:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Oh, if you're interested in a camera like the S95/S100, take a look at the LX5 and XZ-1 each being less than $400. The XZ-1 has a really good lens - bright across the range with a max aperture of f/1.8.