Kathleen in AZ

I know it's not biking .....

..... but here are some of my shots of the Transit of Venus on June 5th, 2012. What a spectacular show!!! I used a 500mm f/ 6.3 Rokinon mirror lens (cheap!!!) on my Canon T3i with a DIY solar filter made with Baader Astrosolar ND5 film. You know the plane shots are real because they are out of focus!!!

saddlemeat
    Kathleen- Thanks, brings back memories of a wonderful event. As one who did not get good results through a #12 welding filter, I'm impressed.

I had a chance to look through this little goto/tracking telescope a friend had, wow! WOW! Got to get me one... the beauty is amazing!
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    Kathleen- Thanks, brings back memories of a wonderful event. As one who did not get good results through a #12 welding filter, I'm impressed.

I had a chance to look through this little goto/tracking telescope a friend had, wow! WOW! Got to get me one... the beauty is amazing!
    I made the filters for the May 20th solar eclipse - we traveled to lake Powell to catch the eclipse at ground zero. Having the right gear, and the right beer, is essential for such an adventure...

saddlemeat
    ^Our anulus was a little thicker than yours. Were you in the direct path?

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    ^Our anulus was a little thicker than yours. Were you in the direct path?
    Yup - I was in the direct path. Post up a pic if you have one!! I seriously considered going to Gallup since it was pretty much in the direct path (and giving you a shout-out), but instead chose Alstrom Point at Lake Powell because of the tremendous views.

Within a month we were treated to a Supermoon, an annular eclipse, a partial lunar eclipse, and the transit of Venus. Nothing too exciting up in the skies until the total solar eclipse this November, but you'll have to travel to Australia to see it!

saddlemeat
    This is my friend's image but is pretty close to what I saw. I observed it at a small private sculpture exhibit, on the edge of a canyon, with a number of photographers in attendance who are better than me, so I drank the beer, which none of them could, due to their being too old or unhealthy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I know it's not biking .....-380215_384291101623173_1429170852_n.jpg