mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Idea! I built a new GoPro accessory for hands-free POV shooting, thought yíall might dig it

Hi fellow mountain bikers!

My name is Zac, and Iím a big fan of active, outdoorsy sports.

Iíve been using a GoPro for years for mountain biking, skydiving, rock climbing, and general shenanigans. But the big problem I noticed with the GoPro is that thereís no good way to control it when both your hands are busy, which is ironic for an action-sports camera.

When I wanted nice still photos, I did what most people do: turn on time-lapse mode, check that itís working, have fun, then sort through hundreds of photos when the fun was over. And for video recording, all of my videos started with staring at the camera to check if itís recording. Does the phrase ďIs it on?Ē ring any bells?

Sound familiar?

It was a total pain and I figured there had to be a better way - but I searched... and there wasnít.

So I decided to build one. And after a year of hard work and development, Iím finally launching it on Kickstarter next week!

Itís the first ever GoPro accessory that gives you complete control over your GoPro even if itís strapped to your head or handlebar. Iím calling it the GoHawk. The GoHawk adds the following features to your GoPro Hero4 camera:

• Remote shutter switch port - Universal 2.5mm port for complete hands-free shutter control of the GoPro
    • Remote LED indicator so you can always see your cameraís status
    • Auxiliary USB power port, works with any USB power source so youíll never run out of power.

And it just snaps onto the back of the GoPro - thereís no software needed to make it work.

The idea is that action sports photographers can operate the camera shutter through a bite switch, tongue switch, or handlebar switch, and the remote LED indicator can be mounted in your helmet or wrapped around your handlebars.

A few examples of how you could use it:

• Bicycling / Motorcycling- take pictures easily while riding (handlebar switch)
    • Climbing - take pictures while both hands are busy belaying or climbing (mouth switch)
    • Skydiving - take pictures while flying (mouth switch)
    • Skiing / Snowboarding - take pictures while skiing with your poles (mouth switch)
    • Anything fast and fun - the LED indicator letís you know what your camera is doing.
    • Get creative - the remote shutter input works with any analog switch, so you can wire it up to anything you want to control the camera.

If this sounds like something youíre interested in, please check out our website, The GoHawk by POA Labs and sign up for our mailing list to stay updated on our upcoming Kickstarter launch (next week on Tuesday, June 14th).

Thanks for letting me tell you about my project!

Cheers,
    Zac

(GoHawk Creator)

P.S. - I hope Iím not breaking any forum rules by telling you about this. Iím really trying to get support to make this product a reality for those of you who, like me, have been waiting for something like this. This entire project has been bootstrapped with rent money over the last year so I donít exactly have the funds for mountains of paid advertising. Last week my friend said ďIt's the accessory that GoPros have needed since they came out." I completely agree and Iím betting some of you will appreciate knowing about it.

-gohawk02.jpg

mtbr member
    No thanks. I already had a spam sandwich today.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

DHMTBR.com
    Why not just use the GoPro Remote? I have used it mounted to my handlebar, it will turn the camera on/off, start/stop recording and capture photos. It will even let you adjust settings. This thing works awesome! The new version even has a LCD screen so you can see your recording stats, battery, etc.

Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino

My Life on Two Wheels
    Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino

Visit me at:
    My Life on Two Wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    We've found the wifi remote to be less reliable than our hard wired switch, and our handlebar button is easier, more ergonomic, and smaller/lighter than the wifi remote. The wifi also has a tendency of draining batteries faster. Finally, the GoHawk allows you to use a mouth switch and helmet indicator, which are easier to use than any kind of handlebar switch in technical riding.

The wifi remote is perfectly fine for some folks, but lots of testers who have tried out using a mouth switch for the first time have loved the control it gives.

DHMTBR.com
    There are two remotes, the WiFi Remote and the Smart Remote - which I have been using the Smart Remote and I have found that it is significantly better on battery than the WiFi and also has a much longer range (600 ft I think).

It's also water proof - and the super sweet feature is if I have multiple cameras on - I can start and stop all of them at the exact same time making editing these so much easier!

Sounds like I need to do a review of the remote on my site.
    Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino

Visit me at:
    My Life on Two Wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    It all depends on how you use your GoPros, I suppose. The Smart remote certainly works for some applications, but it's no replacement for the hands-free shooting experience you get from a mouth switch, which are generally favored by serious action photographers.

DHMTBR.com
    No worries, some shoot Nikon some shoot Canon! As long as you shoot what works for you! Good luck with your project

Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino

My Life on Two Wheels
    Regards,
    Chris Sgaraglino

Visit me at:
    My Life on Two Wheels