Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    My other ride is your mom

How to protect your camera

Hey all....I posted this in the AZ forum, but thought I'd also ask here since most folks on the Passion forum are taking some great pictures. How do you protect your glass on a ride? I'm not too concerned with crashes...I figure just any ole case inside my pack will help...I'm more concerned with things like dust since I live in AZ and do a lot of Coconino/4-corners riding.....dusty.

I've slowely been sucked into photography through my blog and have just cashed in my last bit of airline miles to get a Canon T1i....so I really want to make sure I take care of it.

Thanks in advance for any beta you may have.

mtbr member
    I've been wanting to take my 40d and 24-70L with me on rides, but that's a big ass combo to ride around. I have seen other posts that relate to this. You can get something like the Tamrac tele-zoom holsters and attach it to the shoulder straps on say a Camelbak. The camera would be strapped over your chest.

Edit..

Or something like
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ack_Black.html

It's camera bag with 3l hydration bladder space.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I always carry mine in a case in my camelback pocket.

EDR
    Careful. Wherewolf is gonna have your camera protection passion thread deleted if at all possible.

workin' it Administrator
    i have been pushing the admin for a photography forum here on MTBR as we all have much different needs and experiences than the average photography review user. What do you all think about that concept?
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr dismember

Don't need protection

Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Careful. Wherewolf is gonna have your camera protection passion thread deleted if at all possible.
    Cameras do not need any special protection on the trail. I've carried one attached to the Camelbak chest strap in a $5 Walmart case for years. If it is not readily accessible you tend not to use it.

Ride Responsibly
    "Fujifilm XP"
    Water/shock/dust/freeze proof with extended warranty.
    If that ain't worry free I don't know what is.
    Now if I can learn to keep my finger away from the lens.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LWright; 06-09-2011 at 11:42 PM.

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    i have been pushing the admin for a photography forum here on MTBR as we all have much different needs and experiences than the average photography review user. What do you all think about that concept?
    Yes please!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think it would be great!

back in the saddle again
    My vote goes in as well!
    But if you're a SuperMod, shouldn't you be able to do it?
    Just a Kitty cruisin' in the Rockies with her Pumpkin (TREK 820)

mtbr member
    there are two things better than bike forums...
    1)bike forums that INCLUDE PICTURES
    2)riding said bike!

i vote "aye!"

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good idea to me!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnus View Post
    I've been wanting to take my 40d and 24-70L with me on rides, but that's a big ass combo to ride around. I have seen other posts that relate to this. You can get something like the Tamrac tele-zoom holsters and attach it to the shoulder straps on say a Camelbak. The camera would be strapped over your chest.

Edit..

Or something like
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ack_Black.html

It's camera bag with 3l hydration bladder space.
    Those Clik bags get pretty good reviews around here. Search the Passion forum for "Clik" and you'll find a few threads.

I've ridden with my DSLR (20D) a few times. I just took my 50mm prime lens since it's pretty compact, and light. Where I ride there's not really any need for any sort of zoom, for the most part. I just throw it in the main compartment of my hydration pack (Hydrapak Jolla). I don't worry about dust on the lens, other than the standard lens cap. Of course it's not especially dusty here in the northeast.

mtbr member
    You will carry $2k worth of camera in a $5 case? I have a Canon 40D and I'd be using my 24-70L If I was using a P&S I'd have no problems using something cheap and easy, which I have done in the past with the P&S camera's I've owned in the past. I can't even fit my current camera combo in my HAWG if I have the water reservoir.

Quote Originally Posted by Wherewolf View Post
    Cameras do not need any special protection on the trail. I've carried one attached to the Camelbak chest strap in a $5 Walmart case for years. If it is not readily accessible you tend not to use it.

Des(s)ert Rat
    +1 for the Clik bags. I have the one with space for a hydration bladder, really like it! I take my camera on almost all my rides now.

Give it a crank
    I've tried all kinds of things with various cameras over the years. It's all tradeoffs between:

- protecting the camera from the elements (dust, rain, sun), vibration, impacts
    - accessibility to the camera: need to stop to pull it out of your backpack?
    - case/pouch/bag size: how big or small does the bag need to be?
    - don't forget room for lenses, tripod, and all the little things that get lost when you need them
    - no matter what you chose, it should never get in the way of your riding

A place most people start is throwing the camera in their Camelbak, I did so for years until the day the bite valve leaked all night with my camera and lenses in it. It's not something you want to ever do to a camera or any device that isn't waterproof.

After trying all kinds of things, I really like the simplified setup I now use. I dropped the DSLR and lenses from my rides and replaced them with a nice Point-and-Shoot camera. It doesn't have the same image quality as a DSLR but it's not that bad either, I can live with a little more noise in the photos.

My favorite way to carry the camera is in a top-tube mini panier as in the photo below. You can find them on eBay for under $10, there are many styles to choose from. I added extra internal padding to cut down on vibration. It works great and gives me instant access to the camera at any time.

It stays well put right behind the top tube and a smooth air fork. It's been through some rough terrain and the camera comes out unscathed every time. It would take a good wipeout for the camera to impact into the ground which fortunately hasn't happened so far.

Dirt Deviant
    A definite YES vote to start up a Photography Section on MTBR.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    1. I vote for a Photography section.

2. I would definitely not pack an expensive DSLR camera in a camelback not just because of potential water damage but fall damage as well if you took a tumble. I do like the frame pannier that was posted earlier on the thread.

Personally, I prefer to stick with a P&S and my GoPro HD. The GoPro has protection on it and the P&S can fit neatly inside pretty much anywhere and if it takes a tumble, I wasn't out too much $$.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I would love a photography forum!

Especially if it had a "How to take decent MTB photos" tutorial.

I'm new to riding so I'm new to taking pictures of the trails/people riding also.

mtbr member
    pelican case
    Hooyah space monkey

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. What doesn't kill me, dies.

deep sea CCLXXXI

mtbr member
    Here's my solution: http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compa...ft3/index.html

It's my second "tough" camera and I love this one. It's fast, good focus, takes good pictures (considering the trade offs for the toughness) and pretty good videos, too.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yes, a photography section is needed!

This exact question comes up every week and people always want advice on how to improve their pictures anyways.

+1 on the Panasonic Lumix.

I have a micro 4/3 camera (Panasonic GF1) and its also much more practical for carrying than any traditional dslr.

my flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/44706805@N07/

mtbr member
    I have one of the shockproof/waterproof Olympus cameras. It fits perfectly in an accessory pocket thing from Timbuk2 that straps onto my camelbak shoulder strap (http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/...cessories/2way). Super easy to get to and it is very secure.
    Signature

Tossin the salad.
    I like the camera bags that Lowepro offers.

I now only carry a P&S camera with a camera case that has a belt sleeve that why I use my bag on the chest strap of my camel back to carry it and got to say it is very easy to take my camera in and out of it while even riding (not rock gardens ).

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Oh yeah, I tried that. I got *****ed out and told to leave MTBR by one of the Supermoderators. I think it may have been francois.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast