the half breed devil

how many you are carrying DSLR's on rides and how are you doing it?

i pack my canon t-5 rebel in my hydration pack with the 18-55 kit lens.

it's just small enough to fit in the medium compartment of an osprey syncro 10.

anybody else carrying full sized cameras to do still photography with you on rides or are most of you using smartphones?

mtbr member
    I occasionally take my Sony RX100 V4, but seeing it hates water I prefer not to. My pack is heavy enough without taking my DSLR with me!

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Notched View Post
    I occasionally take my Sony RX100 V4, but seeing it hates water I prefer not to. My pack is heavy enough without taking my DSLR with me!
    ohhhh, yeah. my pack is heavy with the camera and it's a lot lighter than my d7100 and its 18-200.

there are times though, when the extra weight is worth the shot!

mtbr member
    Occasionally, either with the 24mm pancake or 10-18mm. Generally only if I'm riding alone (since it's a bit slower to get to) and going somewhere where the scenery justifies bringing the dslr.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

Rocket Boy
    I have been using the heck out of my iPhone the last couple of years. But before that, I carried an Olympus mirrorless camera and pancake lens. Last year I made an entire video using only my iPhone to shoot, edit and upload to YouTube. Technology blows my mind these days!

Video:
    https://youtu.be/eZrIitXDZzE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I bring my mirrorless Sony A6000. I have a the larger Camelbak kudu, and don't find that it affects me much having the camera in there.
    What goes up must come down.

2015 YT Capra AL2
    2014 Chromag Aperture
    2008 Pinarello FP2

mtbr member
    I take my Canon 80D and 18-135mm with me on all of our client-based trips (and a lot of others, too). I use a Deuter EXP 12 backpack, and normally I just stick it in the main compartment with a rain jacket in the bottom to provide some cushion.

There's probably a better way to do it, but this way gives me easy access and it's worked so far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I always take my Sony A7r with at least my 12-24 lens. Used to be my 24-70 lens. The pack I usually take is a LowePro Photo Sport Pro (mostly the 20L, but sometimes the 30L). On long (multi-day) trips I use the backpack mainly for water bladder and extra food (like lunch/dinner) - aside from the camera. Been on up to 3 week trips with this setup.

I have used many photo bags (probably at least 10 different ones) and found the Photo Sport to be the best. Not a perfect bag, but the best I could find. I would prefer to have a few more storage sleeves in the bag. The mark II extended the about that could be stuffed into the bag by allowing the top to extend upward (extra material and definitely a plus).

Some people get bothered by wearing a pack on the bike. But, I don't even notice it, because I use it so much.

Just my 2 cents.

This place needs an enema
    I use this: https://www.mindshiftgear.com/produc...ation180-trail

Awesome for ease of access to camera. I can pull it out, get a shot, and put it away without interrupting the flow of the ride. Often before anyone else has gotten their camera out.

That said, it's a POS when it comes to actual features devoted to MTB. You really have to want to have a DSLR handy to use this pack, compared to all of the MTB-specific packs that have evolved to where they are now.

mtbr member

Carrying DSLR

I just bungee cord it in the Topeak bag.how many you are carrying DSLR's on rides and how are you doing it?-9.jpghow many you are carrying DSLR's on rides and how are you doing it?-6.jpghow many you are carrying DSLR's on rides and how are you doing it?-7.jpghow many you are carrying DSLR's on rides and how are you doing it?-8.jpghow many you are carrying DSLR's on rides and how are you doing it?-_dsc7250.jpghow many you are carrying DSLR's on rides and how are you doing it?-dsc_0608.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I have a small pelican case that fits my A7 with 28mm lens great. I still don't bring it as often as I should, but it comes with me a fair bit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFF4 View Post
    I just bungee cord it in the Topeak bag.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	1155471Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	1155472Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	1155473Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	159.4 KB 
ID:	1155474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC7250.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	1155475Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0608.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	365.8 KB 
ID:	1155476
    a 500mm F/4?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I carry mostly my Canon G7 X-II. I shoot DSLR's for a living but would never carry one on a bike due to the bulk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 288GTO View Post
    a 500mm F/4?
    Yes, the new one.

Old Fart
    I've carried my Sony a100 using one of these https://www.cottoncarrier.com/collec.../ccs-strapshot on my hydration pack strap. It's in an exposed location if I were to have a bad crash but with used a100's so cheap on eBay I figure it's almost a disposable camera.
    If you say gullible slowly enough it sounds like "oranges"

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

ID:	1155471Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	1155472Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	1155473Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	159.4 KB 
ID:	1155474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC7250.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	1155475Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0608.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	365.8 KB 
ID:	1155476
    those whole set ups looks insane!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I really like to take my camera with me while in the mountain but i think is dangerous. Last time i took my samsung wb350, i fell on it when i crashed.

300 usd gone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I use a Nikon AW1. Unfortunately the system looks like it will be abandoned. It will likely break you before it breaks. Mine is banged up to heck, been slammed in van doors, dropped, crashed on, rained on. I can deploy it while riding and fire off a shot one handed while still riding.

the half breed devil
    "I really like to take my camera with me while in the mountain but i think is dangerous. Last time i took my samsung wb350, i fell on it when i crashed."

"I use a Nikon AW1. Unfortunately the system looks like it will be abandoned. It will likely break you before it breaks. "

all well and good, but these are digital point and shoot cameras, not DSLR's as in the title.

mtbr member
    Sure it's dangerous, but so is mountain biking. Besides, if you don't have a camera with you, you won't get shots like these:

how many you are carrying DSLR's on rides and how are you doing it?-cbfall17-4.jpg

how many you are carrying DSLR's on rides and how are you doing it?-cbfall17-6.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Sure it's dangerous, but so is mountain biking. Besides, if you don't have a camera with you, you won't get shots like these:
    That's what my cell phone is for! And making calls...

Old Fart
    Quote Originally Posted by Notched View Post
    That's what my cell phone is for! And making calls...
    The best camera is the one you have, but a cell phone, even this one; (https://www.motorola.com/us/products...blad-true-zoom) which I own, just isn't as versatile as a DSLR or even a good point and shoot for that matter.

Old Fart
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacha View Post
    Last time i took my samsung wb350, i fell on it when i crashed. 300 usd gone.
    That's why when taking a DSLR I carry an old Sony a100. It's a nice platform but I can pick one up for around $100 on fleabay if I destroy mine. I'd probably never carry my a850 or good Zeiss lens.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    "I really like to take my camera with me while in the mountain but i think is dangerous. Last time i took my samsung wb350, i fell on it when i crashed."

"I use a Nikon AW1. Unfortunately the system looks like it will be abandoned. It will likely break you before it breaks. "

all well and good, but these are digital point and shoot cameras, not DSLR's as in the title.
    I guess I should have prefaced by saying I used to ride with a DSLR. But unless I was going in with specific intent of making it a camera shoot ride, it was too cumbersome. Our crew is more intent on riding, were not that extreme, and not sponsored or anything to make it worth it. Switching to the AW1 allows minimal interruption, and I can even shoot from the hip or stop and quickly get off a shot. I miss the quality of DSLR, the AW1 is not the greatest, its quality not even as good as Micro 4/3 (which I use too) but its better than P&S. I would have not gotten this shot with a DSLR. By the time I'd have stopped, swung pack around, and pulled my DSLR out of pack, everyone would have been out of frame. And they would have all told me to GTH if I told them to turn around and ride back up the hill!
    how many you are carrying DSLR's on rides and how are you doing it?-dsc_9065.jpg
    I'm probably famous locally as the guy who rides with a camera slung on hip while riding.

mtbr member
    This was from my phone. Would be nice to have a proper camera with me however my pack is pretty full without anything else.

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    I carry a d700 and 2 lenses in a Revelate seat bag. Easy - quick access, super secure. One of the lenses is a Nikon 70-200 2.8. Yes it is heavy. Worth the pain? Definitely. If I had to choose "one lens" it would be the one. Proof? You be the judge, these are recent shots with it. Oddly, most people consider it to be a portrait lens and kids soccer game lens, but I find it to be an excellent landscape tool.
    I also carry a 24 mm 2.8, it's an older smaller version. I'm currently experimenting with it. I have not found the joy in shooting with "wide angle". In fact, the Continental Divide wasn't "wide enough". Perhaps I need more work. You'd think the Colorado Trail would be "wide enough" for the 24mm, but it just takes boring pics from 2.8 to f 16. IMHO: The bokeh from a good 2.8 long lens makes wonderful photos.

how many you are carrying DSLR's on rides and how are you doing it?-kanosha-trail-smaller-1.jpghow many you are carrying DSLR's on rides and how are you doing it?-kanosha-trail-smaller-2.jpghow many you are carrying DSLR's on rides and how are you doing it?-kanosha-trail-smaller-1-2.jpghow many you are carrying DSLR's on rides and how are you doing it?-kenosha-3x-1.jpghow many you are carrying DSLR's on rides and how are you doing it?-kenosha-3x-2.jpg
    Last edited by fat-but-slow; 10-08-2017 at 08:18 AM.
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

mtbr member
    I canít imagine carrying that 70-200 f/2.8 on any ride where I wasnít going to use it for a specific shot. That thing is a beast!

I personally prefer the wider end of the focal length spectrum, but to each their own.

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    I agree. It's a beast. And yes I was on a rigid singlespeed on Kenosha carrying it. I might be a glutton. But that's what larger rear and smaller front rings are for! But seriously, after shooting with the 70-200 and many others for years, the 70-200 is like like a trusted friend.
    But I agree, I'm working with the 24mm prime and "trying" to like it. With winter on the way, I plan to keep taking both with me and working with the 24 more, because it makes sense, especially with white fluffy powder on the way.
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

the half breed devil
    when i recover from my injury, i'm considering toting around my d80 with a kit 18-105.

the d-80 with this lens is only a little heavier than the T-5 with its 18-55 kit lens.

mtbr member
    Yep, I've got the Canon 24mm f/2.8 "pancake" lens for rides where I don't feel like lugging around a bigger lens. It's a nice reprieve, and it barely feels like anything is in my pack. It's just hard to get the right shot, because I'm so used to being able to adjust the composition by zooming in/out.

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    Is the pancake lens you are referring to this one? I posted a newer version earlier. This is the one I'm trying to like.Name:  Unknown.jpeg
Views: 316
Size:  9.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    wow. I really messed that up. What I'm trying to ask is this the pancake lens you use. Sorry, blame it on the coffee.Name:  Unknown.jpeg
Views: 316
Size:  9.2 KB
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

mtbr member
    Nope, I'm a Canon guy... their new 24mm f/2.8 STM is WAY smaller (and pretty cheap too):

how many you are carrying DSLR's on rides and how are you doing it?-canon_9522b002_ef_s_24mm_f_2_8_is_1081812.jpg

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    ahhh! Got it.
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Nope, I'm a Canon guy... their new 24mm f/2.8 STM is WAY smaller (and pretty cheap too):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canon_9522b002_ef_s_24mm_f_2_8_is_1081812.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	1161494
    Im looking to get the new Canon Eos SL2 with this 24mm pancake lens. The combo is slightly bigger than most point and shoots. Currently using a Canon G7X II which has given me some good results.

mtbr member
    That'll be a nice setup. Not really "pocketable", but as close as you can get with an actual DSLR.

I tried using the T6i earlier this year for a bit, but the focus system and buffer didn't perform up to my standards. I'm a big fan of the 80D right now- it's as good as it gets without upgrading to one of the FF bodies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Anyone use a handlebar set up?
    How about on a gravel bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Honestly an iPhone with dual camera like the 7/8 plus and the new X will be a better option, 99% of the time. Camera shoots 4K, has 28mm and 56mm lenses, plus its pocketable with decent image and video quality.

mtbr member
    If you think an iPhone is a better option than a DSLR, then you probably donít care about taking good quality pictures.

Thereís nothing wrong with that, Iím just saying thereís really no comparison in quality or performance.

Old Fart
    If you think an iPhone is a better option than a DSLR, then you probably donít care about taking good quality pictures.

Thereís nothing wrong with that, Iím just saying thereís really no comparison in quality or performance.

I was thinking the same thing. Try blowing up your cell phone picture to 13x19. What about difficult shooting situation where you want total control of ISO, exposure & aperture? I recently added the Moto Mod camera https://www.motorola.com/us/products...blad-true-zoom to my Droid and still find that my old Sony a100 does a better job. I view this cell phone camera as a good compromise. When I go to Sedona in a few months I'm still going to carry my a100 with one of these https://www.cottoncarrier.com/collec...grey-strapshot

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    [QUOTE=smmokan;13379680]If you think an iPhone is a better option than a DSLR, then you probably donít care about taking good quality pictures.

I had no clue the iPhone 7 plus I use wasn't as good as my FF Canon 5D4's and Hassy H4D-100 645. Thanks for the lesson. What I was saying is the iPhone makes for a convenient and half way decent option without carrying a heavy DSLR.

Old Fart
    [QUOTE=288GTO;13379784]
    What I was saying is the iPhone makes for a convenient and half way decent option without carrying a heavy DSLR.
    Agree, The best camera is the one you have with you. For the vast majority of folks all they want is a snap shot and most cell phones do a fine job with this. A DSLR or even a compact is overkill if this is all you are looking for.

the half breed devil
    Honestly an iPhone with dual camera like the 7/8 plus and the new X will be a better option, 99% of the time. Camera shoots 4K, has 28mm and 56mm lenses, plus its pocketable with decent image and video quality.
    discussing iphones are not why i started this thread. iphones have nothing to do with this discussion.

the half breed devil
    [QUOTE=Scubapiper;13379843]

Agree, The best camera is the one you have with you. For the vast majority of folks all they want is a snap shot and most cell phones do a fine job with this. A DSLR or even a compact is overkill if this is all you are looking for.
    the best phone is indeed the one you have with you but some of us like to carry DSLRs sometimes AND THAT'S WHY I STARTED THIS THREAD.

jesus.

Old Fart
    [QUOTE=shekky;13379920]
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubapiper View Post

some of us like to carry DSLRs sometimes AND THAT'S WHY I STARTED THIS THREAD.
    Yep

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I would worry about the glass elements getting loose after numerous hard rides. Cheap glass would be less risky though the cheap build quality would take a beating compared to pro glass. I've had Canon L glass and Contax 645 Zeiss glass elements go loose from normal use. I can't imagine going doing a technical ride through rock garden with $2000-$6000 lenses.

the half breed devil
    "I can't imagine going doing a technical ride through rock garden with $2000-$6000 lenses."

oh, god in heaven NO!!!!

swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Oct 2009
    At some point in time people with "high end" camera gear will quit treating it like an antique grandfather clock. I purchased the gear to use. Who spread the rumor that one can't take a 2.8 lens outside in wilderness? Its what they are manufactured for. The cheap plastic ones work great at the rest stops on I-70! Will mysterious sensor erasing fairy dust enter my camera while changing lens on a trail? STOP THE MADNESS! For Gods sake take your camera gear and use it someplace other than a museum! My 70-200 2.8 is awesome, it has scratches, it has experience, I might "and could" use it for a tent stake. It still takes awesome pictures because I take it awesome places!
    Did you know that a pro photographer has taken a sharp ended spike and "went at it" on his 50mm 2.8 (universally great - affordable lens) and nay I say could one find "imperfections" on the photos he took with it after the abuse? So if you choose to keep your chosen Grandfather clock lens in a humidor - knock yourself out! In the meantime "other" irresponsible photographers will be out capturing Grizzlies or a random sighting of an Ivory Billed Woodpecker (some say they are extinct).... Ok I'm done. Have great day!
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-but-slow View Post
    At some point in time people with "high end" camera gear will quit treating it like an antique grandfather clock. I purchased the gear to use. Who spread the rumor that one can't take a 2.8 lens outside in wilderness? Its what they are manufactured for. The cheap plastic ones work great at the rest stops on I-70! Will mysterious sensor erasing fairy dust enter my camera while changing lens on a trail? STOP THE MADNESS! For Gods sake take your camera gear and use it someplace other than a museum! My 70-200 2.8 is awesome, it has scratches, it has experience, I might "and could" use it for a tent stake. It still takes awesome pictures because I take it awesome places!
    Did you know that a pro photographer has taken a sharp ended spike and "went at it" on his 50mm 2.8 (universally great - affordable lens) and nay I say could one find "imperfections" on the photos he took with it after the abuse? So if you choose to keep your chosen Grandfather clock lens in a humidor - knock yourself out! In the meantime "other" irresponsible photographers will be out capturing Grizzlies or a random sighting of an Ivory Billed Woodpecker (some say they are extinct).... Ok I'm done. Have great day!
    i understand your sentiments but i think a lot depends on where you're going and how you ride and why you're out there with a camera to begin with. if i'm on a ride with friends where things are going to get fast and loose, the camera stays at home and i use my iphone to take photos. when i'm riding alone and know my pace and schedule will allow me to take advantage of having a DSLR with me, i bring it. if the D7100 and the 18-200 lens were not so heavy and bulky, i'd carry it when i wanted a DSLR if it were the only camera i had.

i'd rather drop or fall on my 1200D than my 7100 just because the money i earn makes it less painful to replace a $400 kit than equipment costing twice that much.

and just for the record, my ex once dropped an SLR on its lens, damaging the camera in such a way the lens could not be removed without taking it to a shop.

bad things happen.

i can't blame folks for wanting to minimize risk.

Old Fart
    Sony a850 full framer and my Zeiss 24-70 2.8 stays home when I ride. Yes they are tools but not ones I'm willing to roll the dice on riding with. Instead I ride with a cheap a100 ($100 or so on fleabay) with a kit lens. For me this is the best combination of capability of kit vs. the cost of a potential disaster. Probably this has a lot to do with the fact that I keep the camera on my hydration pack strap so it's very vulnerable if I were to crash. If I were planning on riding with photography as my main goal I'd pack the a850 with the Zeiss and at least a monopod if not a tripod.

Not saying this is what is best, just what works for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Good topic, it's been interesting seeing the various solutions people are using.

I go between the Sony RX100m4 compact, Sony NEX-6 with the 16-50mm lens and the Nikon D750 with the 20mm F1.8 lens. The Nikon obviously offers superb dynamic range and high iso performance but it's bulky and heavy, I usually take it in its own backpack and stuff my bike bits around as I can. Those factors combined with the risk of being damaged if I crash mean I don't take it that often with me. I have looked at other FF options, the A7 series looks good on paper but I find as a package it's not that much smaller in practice. I've also looked at the Sony RX1 series but the fixed 35mm lens is limiting when I primarily shoot wide angle when out on the bike.
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Most of the time I ride with my Sony RX10. It has a good zoom range (24-200mm equivalent) and constant f/2.8 aperture. Its weakness is the AF-C focusing doesn't always hit it exactly.

Occasionally I will take the Nikon D750 and either a 16-35mm or the 24-120mm zoom lens. AF-C focusing is very good.

If I wanted a pocket-sized camera, I would probably consider the Sony RX100 series.

I use a Camelback Blowfish and the DSLR carries well in the pack. I just make it a point not to crash and land on my back ;-)

-db-

Edit: typo
    Last edited by dbflg; 10-18-2017 at 07:21 PM.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by dbflg View Post
    Most of the time I ride with my Sony RX10. It has a good zoom range (24-200mm equivalent) and constant f/2.8 aperture. It's weakness is the AF-C focusing doesn't always hit it exactly.

Occasionally I will take the Nikon D750 and either a 16-35mm or the 24-120mm zoom lens. AF-C focusing is very good.

If I wanted a pocket-sized camera, I would probably consider the Sony RX100 series.

I use a Camelback Blowfish and the DSLR carries well in the pack. I just make it a point not to crash and land on my back ;-)

-db-
    your sony seems to be highly spoken of. it's an expensive little bugger, though:

The 10 best bridge cameras in 2017 | TechRadar

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That is the model III which has the 24-600mm lens. I have the original version with the 24-200 lens.
    It's still available and much cheaperóand a fair bit smaller than the newer versions.

Compare camera dimensions side by side

-db-

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

ID:	1155471
    That is honestly amazing!

I usually don't carry one, mostly because I hate stopping. But if I think I'll want to, I have a Nikon 5200 that I usually carry with a relatively small 35mm lens.

If I'm with my wife I will sometimes take my 18-70 walkaround lens, but it is a little heavier and a little bulkier. But we travel at slightly different speeds so I know I'll have a chance to take some shots.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    No, I don't carry anything with me except keys to home, things tend to get broken or lost when I ride.

Also it is always wet, these days dark and wet, it is only 3 minutes to where trails start, so I can always limp back home, hopefully.

Now if I could find a friend to go ride with, it would make more sense to have photo sessions, but when all riding is alone, only camera I have with me is action camera and that is usually mounted to bike or helmet.

Also when I ride, I'm usually at race mode, trying to break records, so not much chance of getting photos.
    Trek 3700 Disc, frame, wheelset, seatpost, fork and rear brake original, rest is upgraded.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy old biker View Post
    No, I don't carry anything with me except keys to home, things tend to get broken or lost when I ride.

Also it is always wet, these days dark and wet, it is only 3 minutes to where trails start, so I can always limp back home, hopefully.

Now if I could find a friend to go ride with, it would make more sense to have photo sessions, but when all riding is alone, only camera I have with me is action camera and that is usually mounted to bike or helmet.

Also when I ride, I'm usually at race mode, trying to break records, so not much chance of getting photos.
    thank you.

i was just going to type something mean when i went back and looked at my original post.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    thank you.

i was just going to type something mean when i went back and looked at my original post.
    When I began cycling, I had a basket on my bicycle, then it was easy to carry DSLR and also snap pics as my fitness did not allow me to much more than a mile before I had to stop, that was long time ago though.

Used to take more than 20 000 photos in a year those days, now it is barely 100 for whole year.

Might be good to put basket on my bike again, sometimes slowing down might be nice.

But I still get to take pic here and there, look and behold this quality of Eken H9R, when it is dark and wet:
    Trek 3700 Disc, frame, wheelset, seatpost, fork and rear brake original, rest is upgraded.

mtbr member

Eastern scretch owl.

Took this past Sunday on a ride.how many you are carrying DSLR's on rides and how are you doing it?-_dsc8870.jpg

Old Fart
    Love the owl shot. What did you use?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I actually had my DSLR with me today and what happens, bike broke AGAIN, pffft. There you have it, it is dangerous to take DSLR on ride as things break down.

I had DSLR in my backpack, but having backpack is annoying because it is way too warm, I start to overheat very quickly even without backpack so that is bit annoying. I have Nikon shoulder bag which would be easier in terms of heat, but when moving around it does not like to stay where I put it and becomes annoying quite soon.

Despite having DSLR with me I only used Eken H9R and there is not much to share about that, RD and FD failed, eventually so bad I had to push bike back.

Mud and white stuff, nothing to see really:

mtbr member
    Nikon D810 body, 500mm F4 lens.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubapiper View Post
    Love the owl shot. What did you use?
    Nikon D810 body, 500mm F4 lens.

the half breed devil
    I actually had my DSLR with me today and what happens, bike broke AGAIN, pffft. There you have it, it is dangerous to take DSLR on ride as things break down.

I had DSLR in my backpack, but having backpack is annoying because it is way too warm, I start to overheat very quickly even without backpack so that is bit annoying. I have Nikon shoulder bag which would be easier in terms of heat, but when moving around it does not like to stay where I put it and becomes annoying quite soon.

Despite having DSLR with me I only used Eken H9R and there is not much to share about that, RD and FD failed, eventually so bad I had to push bike back.

that's actually kind of a nice photograph...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Grab from video actually, here are photos, only 1 otb and 3 other fells while carrying DSLR on backpack, I think I stop carrying it before things go wrong, but today weather was nice, it must of been few months since I saw sun last time.

Eken:

Nikon:

I'm not happy with Nikon shot, viewfinder and glasses got so foggy that I could not see anything, shooting randomly more than anything, but I did try, I guess that is most important thing.

mtbr member
    I wish I'd had my camera here. Just too make things a bit sharper

saddlemeat
    Totally agree!
    I ride with the best dogs.

saddlemeat

I carry my camera over my shoulder and under opposite arm, on a fairly short strap, just long enough to do a blurry composition with the screen flipped up. Use a pancake lens to minimize the bulk. Better yet use a mirrorless, but I digress. Now you can stop and capture an image very quickly and move on. Worrying about equipment is a sidetrack, use stuff you can replace, like you do with your bike gear. I have had a lot of sweet equipment stolen from my vehicle, but never lost any gear in a bike crash in 30 years. (I hope I didn't speak to early, fingers crossed.)
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member

Little Mirrorless Sony 6300

For work I use DSLRs, actually prefer them over mirrorless for everything but ridding bikes because the size/weight... love always having a decent manual camera with me again for mountain biking and trips on the other bikes. I have to be in the mood when mountain biking, little harder to get motivated to stop and shoot than it is on the other bikes

Sony a6300, 16-55, 50mm and 35 1.8

how many you are carrying DSLR's on rides and how are you doing it?-dsc07055.jpghow many you are carrying DSLR's on rides and how are you doing it?-5-copy.jpghow many you are carrying DSLR's on rides and how are you doing it?-dsc01078done-copy.jpg

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lee View Post
    For work I use DSLRs, actually prefer them over mirrorless for everything but ridding bikes because the size/weight... love always having a decent manual camera with me again for mountain biking and trips on the other bikes. I have to be in the mood when mountain biking, little harder to get motivated to stop and shoot than it is on the other bikes

Sony a6300, 16-55, 50mm and 35 1.8

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07055.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	230.3 KB 
ID:	1166266Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5 copy.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	1166267Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01078DONE copy.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	1166268
    definitely harder to stop and take photos when you're not riding solo.

my little canon (1200D or T5, they call them in the US) is relatively small and light for a DSLR and pretty easy to carry in my osprey hydration pack. my only caveat with his system is i can't get a quick shot if i need it. you don't know how many times i wished i'd had a good camera when i roll up on bobcats, ect.

however, if i heal and am able to ride before winter ends, i probably won't carry it as i usually carry more extra clothes and the like during our rainy season.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Having hauled camera gear up nearly every peak in AZ, into and across the grand canyon multiple times, and being an avid photo whore, its odd for me but mountain biking is the one hobby i have yet to drag the kit out for.

Cost of a crash being the main sticking point. My workhorse is the 80d, and i rarely take that anywhere without the 70-200 2.8 IS. And then usually with the 24-70 2.8. That is to say, its a lotta bulk, weight, and will make me cry the first time i land on it in a crash.

May some day bring the gear along, but not til i either win the lottery and cost isnt an issue, or again win the lottery and snag one of those Pelican backpacks...

U160 Backpacks & Bags - Urban | Urban Elite Camera Pack | Pelican Consumer

Meanwhile, ye olde Galaxy S7 camera is having to suffice. =(

mtbr member

going to try a new bag

I am just not shooting enough with the camera in my hydration pack, so I ordered a very cheap fanny pack..... seems like I should be able to swing it around to the front to grab the camera vs getting of the bike and removing my back pack.

how many you are carrying DSLR's on rides and how are you doing it?-616dcyv2xal._sl1300_.jpg