mtbr member
    Oct 2005

How do you carry your P&S?

I haven't used a P&S in years- I've been shooting with a Canon dSLR for a while now- but I'm thinking about picking one up so that I have more pictures from the trail. Right now I'm looking at both the Canon S90 and the Panasonic LX5.

Ideally I'd love to have a smaller case that would fit on my pack's shoulder strap, or maybe something I could securely attach to my belt.... what are some of the better cases for this? What's your tried and true method?

mtbr member
    I carry a Canon G11 (They're at G12 now) with me. It's smaller than my DSLR, but is twice the size of most P&S. I like the manual control of a SLR without the bulk. It fits in the front pocket of my Camelback.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Not many will agree with me, but i take my little (little-ish) Olympus Tough Cam everywhere. Shoots at 14mp (thats good enough) and has HD recordering for when i attach it to the bike.

However the best thing about the tough is if it falls off or i drop it into mud, no probs. It's shock proof and water proof up to 6 feet or so. Shot many an underwater video with it.

You can pick the older version up for like £100 or $100 the newer versions much more, but they're stilla steal!!!

They fit perfectly in my little pocket in my 3/4 mtb shorts, the pocket is spose ot be for a phone, but it fits night a tightly in there, which then holds it well, meaning it doesn't bounce around or get in the way too much. Bonus! Simply unzip (EXCUSE ME?!) and snap! Job done it seems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I recently bought a canon s95 b/c I found myself not wanting to hassle with my dslr on the trails. I have a small lowepro case for the s95 that I attach to the shoulder strap of my camleback. Now my camera is always handy; I've taken more pics while riding in the last few months than in the past year with my dslr.
    Edit: the lowepro case (Geneva) has a simple two flap velcro system that secures it to the shoulder strap/belt/etc. It seems pretty robust. I have no worries about it falling off at the moment. Though over time I am sure the velcro will start to weaken and I'll replace it.
    Last edited by ajdonner; 09-17-2011 at 11:31 AM.

mtbr dismember

Cheap Walmart bag

I got one of these for about $5 at Walmart. I carry my Canon G12 in it strapped to my Camelbak chest strap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Got one of these a few weeks ago, taken it on a couple rides and like it. Holds securely on a shoulder strap.

Mountainsmith Cyber II Recycled Compact Camera Case - Small at REI.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I put my S90 in the hip pouch of my pack. This is the most convenient camera setup I have ever had.

REI Stoke 19 Pack at REI.com

mtbr member
    i put my olympus t-100 in its pouch clipped to the shoulder strap of my camelbak just above the chest strap which keeps it from sliding down...depending on the trail i leave the case unzipped and just the velcro closed so its quick to open, and i have the camera on a longer lanyard clipped to the camelbak just incase
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2002 Raleigh Mountain Scout
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I keep my crappy Nikon Coolpix S210 in one of these mounted to my headset cap:

Topeak® Cycling Accessories

It's never fallen off and holds very securely.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryank930 View Post
    I keep my crappy Nikon Coolpix S210 in one of these mounted to my headset cap:

Topeak® Cycling Accessories

It's never fallen off and holds very securely.
    That's exactly what I'm looking for.... your P&S fits OK in there even though it's a cell phone pack? I've got a Canon S95, so it's a fairly compact P&S.

Feral Roadie
    Either of these works pretty well for keeping the camera handy, the Gas Tank is probably a bit more crash proof.

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...g&CategoryID=2

- Booker C. Bense

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    That's exactly what I'm looking for.... your P&S fits OK in there even though it's a cell phone pack? I've got a Canon S95, so it's a fairly compact P&S.
    Fits VERY nice and tight. If it were any smaller, my camera wouldn't fit. The S95 should fit perfect.

mtbr member
    Anytime I'm riding with camelback. Usefull and safe

bi-winning
    I usually slip mine into a jersey pocket. Sometimes in a case, if it's a hot and sweaty summer ride. It's easy to access, since I don't usually wear a back pack.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

It's not very accessible, but I carry my s95 like above. It could use a tiny bit more foam to keep it snug in the case.

While one could likely carry the camera under the bars or something, I would *never* carry mine in a soft sided case on the top of the bars. That's been the #1 place to smash the crap out of anything hanging out there in a crash. Already broke a speedometer, also dented my light fortunately the expensive light was mounted down in the curve of the bars so it still works fine.

EDIT: The pelican 1015 case I believe.

Just Ride
    Finally found the USB cable for my fiance's camera. It's a pink P&S p.o.s., but takes better pictures than my cellphone. So I'll be taking that on every ride. Just in the lower pocket of my camelbak.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!