Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,619

    Help buying a digital camera

    I really want to get a digital camera to take with me when I am mountain biking. I have enough reword points on my credit card to get one. There are allot to chose from. But I want one that is really durable and can take a beating. So it looks like my options are.
    Olympus - TG-310 14.0-Megapixel Digital Camera - Orange - 228055

    Fujifilm - FinePix XP150 14.0-Megapixel Digital Camera - Orange - XP150 ORANGE

    When I goggle them the reviews I find aren't grate on ether one. But the customer reviews seem to be good. I don't really know much about digital cameras but my phone just isn't cutting it any more.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    Those two are, yes, tough models and can handle being underwater. That said, unless you're kayaking or rafting or diving in a cave, you don't need a waterproof camera. These cameras give up picture quality because of the way they're built. You're paying for tough, not IQ.

    What are your other choices? Almost any small camera will work while riding if in a case, don't worry about getting a "tough" camera.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,619
    You don't think the shock and dust proof camera's would be better to take mountain biking? I would worry about dropping a regular one. There are lots of choices if I don't go with one of them. I have to go back and look.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    You don't think the shock and dust proof camera's would be better to take mountain biking? I would worry about dropping a regular one. There are lots of choices if I don't go with one of them. I have to go back and look.
    I don't know of anyone who rides with one of those tough cameras. I've never ridden with one.
    They'll take pics and they'll take abuse. Maybe one of them would be the best for you for your first point and shoot. If you get dissatisfied with anything about the one you get you could keep it for when you go kayaking. I've recommended a tough camera to soldiers over in the Middle East who had to deal with constant dust storms.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    728
    Will you be shooting in the woods (low light), or in open areas (good light)?

    If you're shooting in low light, I recommend a camera that is known to be good in low light. I have the Canon S95 and it's much better in low light than any other point-and-shoot camera I've tried. I have a Panasonic 'rugged' camera that I use for water sports, but it sucks in the woods and it's not as compact as my Canon.

    If you are riding in good light situations, then you have a lot more options.

    I realize that I take a chance with my cameras, but I've been riding with cameras for years and have not had a crash- or drop-related failure. I probably just jinxed myself with that one.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    Be nice to know what his other choices are. He zeroed in on the tough cameras. I just read reviews of both of them and it's the usual: tough but not so good IQ. He's not having to pay for one with his Visa points, so telling him about the S95/S100 (although excellent choices) are money out of pocket for him.

    The only two cameras I ever got with Visa points was a Canon SD550 (an excellent older model, too old to consider now) and an SD880, great for its time.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  7. #7

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by miatagal96 View Post
    Will you be shooting in the woods (low light), or in open areas (good light)?

    If you're shooting in low light, I recommend a camera that is known to be good in low light. I have the Canon S95 and it's much better in low light than any other point-and-shoot camera I've tried. I have a Panasonic 'rugged' camera that I use for water sports, but it sucks in the woods and it's not as compact as my Canon.

    If you are riding in good light situations, then you have a lot more options.

    I realize that I take a chance with my cameras, but I've been riding with cameras for years and have not had a crash- or drop-related failure. I probably just jinxed myself with that one.
    I little of both actually. We don't have allot of tree cover here (northern front range CO) but when I am up in the mountains riding we do.

  9. #9
    Give it a crank
    Reputation: Mtn-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,916
    Go to dpreview.com's camera comparison page and select the ones you're interested in. It'll list the features of each side-by-side so you can pinpoint which camera works best for you.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    Go to dpreview.com's camera comparison page and select the ones you're interested in. It'll list the features of each side-by-side so you can pinpoint which camera works best for you.
    O cool thanx. The website for my CC is really hard to compare each camera.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    Of all your stated choices I'd go for the Fuji F660 EXR and here's the review that sold me on it:

    Fujifilm FinePix F660EXR Review | PhotographyBLOG
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Of all your stated choices I'd go for the Fuji F660 EXR and here's the review that sold me on it:

    Fujifilm FinePix F660EXR Review | PhotographyBLOG
    Thats kind of what was thinking too. It has the best optical zoom too. And it looks like enough features to keep me from wanting a new camera for a while.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    Thats kind of what was thinking too. It has the best optical zoom too. And it looks like enough features to keep me from wanting a new camera for a while.
    Check out the cameras that the author of that review says it's competing against (last page).
    You can also probably check out his reviews of the other cameras on your list.

    You're only going to know what it is you want or don't want after you have used a camera, any camera, for awhile. That Fuji seems like a good one to begin with. Hey, 15x optical!
    Don't get carried away with 16 megs/14 megs/12 megs, it's all pretty meaningless after 10 megapixels.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    Yo pulser, what did you wind up getting?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Yo pulser, what did you wind up getting?
    Nothing. I went to Best Buy and looked at some. I think it was a mistake. So I put it on the back burner for now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •