Thread: Headache

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Headache

Based on the recent threads discussion action blur I went out to shoot action blur myself. In one instance I ended up with the shot seen below.

I was shooting up towards the afternoon sun and kept re-framing my shot to keep the sun out of it. As a result of zooming in I got the affect in this photo. Is there potential here or is this just too much of a headache?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Headache-action_blur.jpg  

Ride hard. Ride often.

bi-winning
    Interesting shot.

Can you describe how you took the shot? Since the rider is moving towards you, does that mean you were holding the camera far from you and than moving it closer to you as you took the shot?

As for the shot itself, obviously it is not perfect, as the subject is a little blurry and/or out of focus.
    I think if the rider's head was sharp, it would draw your eyes to that area of the picture, and create a much more pleasing effect. As it is now, since no part of the image is extremely sharp, my eyes are searching all over the picture, unsure of what to look at. Perhaps bumping the shutter speed from 1/40s to 1/60s would allow the rider to be a little sharper, and create a less extreme blur effect in the background, making the shot easier to look at?

//I'm not a real photographer, but sometimes I play one on the internet
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The motion blur effect seen in this shot was acquired by zooming in, not by moving the camera, and it was not intentional. This was a fluke and the shot is not great but I think the result is interesting. I thought others might like to explore the idea. I will have to play with shutter speeds to see how they affect the focus and determine if a sharp subject can be seen while changing the focal length.
    Ride hard. Ride often.