Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HDR Iphone 4?

Trail Tire TV on blogger

HDR Iphone 4?

just got an Iphone 4 replacing my 3GS. Probably a bit under what you guys in this area of the forums chat about, but has anyone tried the HDR settings on the Iphone? wondering if there are any tricks or if you find it good,worse,better than the regular settings. thoughts, comments...?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    95% of the time it does an amazing job for a phone. I always leave it on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Don't know on the iphone 4 but on my 4s its very subtle...which is a good thing IMO.

Yet mine is mostly off (w/grid enabled). If it really needs it, I'll do it in photoshop.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by RaveOn View Post
    Don't know on the iphone 4 but on my 4s its very subtle...which is a good thing IMO.

Yet mine is mostly off (w/grid enabled). If it really needs it, I'll do it in photoshop.
    well then don't you have to take multiple shots? and the Iphone doesn't allow for settings in Fstop - aperture and such..?
    Now I only have a very Basic knowledge of HDR, but I do understand the idea behind it, ..
    I was just playing and it seems I loose some contrast but the whole thing's brighter,..? which I thought was the opposite of what HDR is supposed to do?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I found that it works best if you expose for the 'primary' subject and let the HDR pull up or down the exposure of the opposite. I use it most for outdoors on rides. Click on the trees/trail and you will see the bright sky turn white because it is exposing for the trees. With HDR on it does a pretty good job at pulling the exposure down so the sky is actually blue. Not perfect, but it's a nice feature.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Also, it's not HDR, they just call it that. All it really does is shadow/highlight correction after the shot is taken.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    well then don't you have to take multiple shots?
    If I shoot with my DSLR, yes I shoot 3 raw and work with those. On the iphone (or other P&S) I just adjust the settings manually to one file. Photomatrix does this too.

Dirt Bike Craig
    I use an HDR app that is leaps and bounds better than the native camera HDR. Its called Pro HDR, I use it all the time. It does sometimes over saturate the pics though but you can adjust saturation.

I <3 NM
    The single best app you can get for your iPhone is the Camera+ app.

You will never use the native camera program again.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    The single best app you can get for your iPhone is the Camera+ app.

You will never use the native camera program again.
    Really? why? I've used a MESS of the Camera Apps and haven't found one that seems to do much of anything but change tones and such... nothing I can't just do in photoshop on my computer... a lot better too.

is there really anything an app can do to improve the actual image not just add effects?

Dirt Bike Craig
    The Camera+ app is pretty cool & has a lot of effects/filters. I use that one a lot too

I <3 NM
    It's always the camera I use on my iPhone.

I use 3-4 apps for post processing to get what I'm looking for, generally. Great thing about apps is their portability. I can take a pic, process it and upload it all while standing in line for my espresso.

Short-Change-Hero
    Agreed with the Camera+ purchase, also SnapSeed is a lot of fun!
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

I <3 NM
    I use a number of apps, one can get some great results really quick.

Last edited by MTBNate; 05-11-2012 at 12:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    i've never tried that feature. im glad I read his thread
    Last edited by bcruze; 08-26-2012 at 05:36 AM.

mtbr member
    The HDR feature on the iPhone4 is pretty good. I'm also a big fan of Camera+. It'll never hold a candle to my pro photo gear, but I'm often surprised at the quality I can squeeze out of a "phone" camera. Be sure to hold it really still when shooting in HDR mode, I often get some ghosting from misaligned frames if I'm not careful.

Here are a few snapshots from my iPhone4. One isn't bike related, but I think it gives a good sense of how it deals with motion blur:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HDR Iphone 4?-534805_10151270473980299_808833486_n.jpeg  

Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I love Camera# for my iPhone...but use Photoshop for my DSLR work.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by splatworldwide View Post
    The HDR feature on the iPhone4 is pretty good. I'm also a big fan of Camera+. It'll never hold a candle to my pro photo gear, but I'm often surprised at the quality I can squeeze out of a "phone" camera. Be sure to hold it really still when shooting in HDR mode, I often get some ghosting from misaligned frames if I'm not careful.

Here are a few snapshots from my iPhone4. One isn't bike related, but I think it gives a good sense of how it deals with motion blur:

I would love to know more about how you refined this image. It's really interesting!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    I would love to know more about how you refined this image. It's really interesting!
    I shot that with the native camera app in HDR mode. In Camera+, I used the Clarity scene mode and (I think) the Nostalgia effect. I like that Camera+ has knobs so you can adjust the intensity of the filters to get a pleasing image.

It's certainly no replacement for Photoshop, but for quick snapshots I love it.
    Loud hubs save lives. http://about.me/splat/

I <3 NM
    Food Truck
    ABQ, NM
    iPhone 4S

Last edited by MTBNate; 09-06-2012 at 09:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by splatworldwide View Post
    nice pic

mtbr member
    just downloaded the Camera+ app. The first thing it does that Photoshop or the Stock camera app can't do is it has timers. You can set ti to take a picture every few seconds until you hit stop (or the memory is full) or you can just use it as a regular 10 second timer. This will be great for taking photos of myself ON the bike.

I <3 NM
    You'll find the Camera+ has a lot more stuff than the Photoshop app.

mtbr member

Played with the camera+ app today.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Like others have mentioned, Snapseed is real nice for editing pictures. I haven't tried the camera+ app but I will try it out. However, the panoramic feature on the iphone 5 is AMAZING!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast