Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hdr

Fat Tire Fatty
    Oct 2006

Hdr

I know some don't consider this legitimate "photography",but I believe when done right you can create very interesting images. Anyone have thoughts/images they'd like to share?

FWIW - I am a complete novice when it comes to HDR. This image is a merely an attempt on my part to start a discussion regarding the merits of HDR. It is not meant to represent HDR "done right".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hdr-trinidad-lighthouse.jpg  

Last edited by fatstevie; 01-29-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Look at the time!
    Interesting subject, but I believe this would have looked better taken in natural light (different time of the day maybe) without the HDR.
    For example, the effects of the HDR processing are quite visible near the bell. The white posts are actually brighter at the bottom than the horizontal bar, which looks weird. The bushes in the foreground are brighter than the ocean, the bush on the far left and the cliffs behind the lighthouse are "glowing".

Maybe it's just because I don't like the HDR look at all. HDRs to me are only good if you can't tell that they are HDRs.

Have a look at this, I believe it is painfully true sometimes:
    http://i.imgur.com/b2feF.png
    Last edited by lelebebbel; 01-29-2012 at 06:59 PM.
    wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My father is stuck on HDR. I do like some of his pics but I feel as though most look pretty fake. Specifically its usually the clouds. They always look like there is going to be a massive apocalyptic storm. The picture you posted above looks good though :thumbup:

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    HDR has its place but must be used carefully. Film had more f-stop range than most of today's modern digital sensors. To get even close to film you would need a high end camera with a high end digital back. HDR is just a way of getting more range in digital images but it often leads to over dramatic or surreal results. Some like it, some don't. However, HDR can be manipulated to give a more natural image but it requires some editing of each stopped image separately prior to the HDR process.

As in the old days of UV film, some use HDR for its ability to deviate from reality. But some will like it and the purists won''t. HDR can be used also to 'salvage' an otherwise poor image.

Keep trying different techniques until you find what works best. There is no 'one formula' to any of it. I like to work from one image and create duplicate layers that are stopped down. I can selectively manipulate the layers and erase what I don't want. This way the I can avoid the negative effects of HDR aberration. Below is an example of what can be done with layers. I only spent about ten minutes on this and had to deal the the HDR stuff that was already in the picture so don't over critique. It is just to show what can be done with layers.

Last edited by Duntov1967; 01-29-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Fat Tire Fatty
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lelebebbel View Post
    Interesting subject, but I believe this would have looked better taken in natural light (different time of the day maybe) without the HDR.
    For example, the effects of the HDR processing are quite visible near the bell. The white posts are actually brighter at the bottom than the horizontal bar, which looks weird. The bushes in the foreground are brighter than the ocean, the bush on the far left and the cliffs behind the lighthouse are "glowing".
    I agree. I have many shots of this same spot shot on slide film and have gotten many great results. I just happened to be here today in the middle of the day with my camera in hand so I thought I would try something new.

I have only played around with HDR a few times and admit I really have no idea what to do with the post-processing. I am intrigued with the possibilities that HDR holds though.

Fat Tire Fatty
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumptuously Numb View Post
    1. I'm not seeing any MTB content.

2. I'm seeing a very poorly executed HDR attempt.

3. HDR is most often a "hey, look what I can do with my software" rather than a successful, artistic photographic technique.
    1. You must not have spent much time in this forum, because quite a few of the posts are not MTB related. (ie Norcal Sunsets, Water images, etc).

2. true - I freely admit that I am a novice when it comes to HDR processing. I prefer shooting standard images, but thought I would experiment (however rough the finished product turned out)

3. I disagree. I have seen plenty of photographers that do HDR "right" and make very artistic images. Using the logic behind your statement, Ansel Adams' photography would be frowned upon because much of what made his images so great were the special techniques he used making prints ("hey, look what I can do with an enlarger in my darkroom"). IMO a true artist uses all the tools at his/her disposal - we just happen to live in an age where processing is done via software on a computer rather than in the darkroom.

Fat Tire Fatty
    Oct 2006
    Comparing yourself to Ansel Adams is laughable.

There's a vast difference between burning and dodging in the darkroom (Adams' forte) and the vast majority of HDR "hey look what this plugin can do" fanciful crap that is posted on the net.
    No need to be a d*ck. Never did I compare myself to Ansel Adams nor never would I. I was simply pointing out the fallacy of your argument. I am quite familiar with the dodging and burning techniques that Adams used and I know, from experience (I worked for many years in a large professional photo lab in San Diego), that these techniques can greatly alter an image's final outcome (much like HDR software, Photoshop tools, etc)

And I agree most of the HDR stuff you see on the net is garbage, but I have seen plenty of artists that do HDR exceptionally well. I will agree to disagree with you on this.
    Last edited by fatstevie; 01-29-2012 at 08:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Only if you're counting cell phones and point-n-shoot cameras...

Even my 10 year old DSLR has more dynamic range than film when shooting RAW.
    You might want to go research that. Check range within a given ISO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Been there, done that. After exposing thousands of SLR film frames and thousands of DSLR frames I'll choose DLSR RAW over film every time.
    Yep, been there, done that also. I am in my 60's and started shooting at age 10. Used it all, 35mm, medium and large format, DLSR & digital backs on my Hasselblad Flexbodies, Negative, trans, UV, color, B&W, etc.

You just haven't had enough experience outside of 35mm and DLSRs.

I am sorry that you are so incredibly sensitive.
    If you are not interested in honest experienced feedback then you should probably refrain from posting images like the HDR attempt in your initial post.
    The gentleman said he was a novice and he did not compare himself to Adams but merely pointed out that Adams manipulated his prints. How about a little more sensitivity and work on your social grace.
    Last edited by Duntov1967; 01-29-2012 at 09:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

pugsleybeach-hdr by mbeganyi, on Flickr

it has a fatbike in it.
    it is a photo (digital).
    it was made by stacking 3 shots and playing with various combinations of the exposures.
    it was made by a rank amateur. (rider and photographer)
    to me it captured the mood better than the other shots i have from the same outing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post

pugsleybeach-hdr by mbeganyi, on Flickr

it has a fatbike in it.
    it is a photo (digital).
    it was made by stacking 3 shots and playing with various combinations of the exposures.
    it was made by a rank amateur. (rider and photographer)
    to me it captured the mood better than the other shots i have from the same outing.
    I like it! Conveys a nice mood for sure. You are no longer a "rank amateur" my friend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    What are you guys using for software? I use HDR Efex Pro. I really want to get topaz adjust for some signal image hdr images of action shots.( Photoshop does an OK job at single image hdr )

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Duntov1967 View Post
    I like it! Conveys a nice mood for sure. You are no longer a "rank amateur" my friend.
    duntov1976 - thanks!

nine22 - i've just been playing with picturenaut (free, open source).
    i've also used hugin for aligning, stacking and optimizing.

i don't think i'll get into it enough to purchase software - i need to save up for lightroom first..

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post

i don't think i'll get into it enough to purchase software - i need to save up for lightroom first..
    Lightroom 4 is in open beta right now you can try it for free. If you are saving up now make sure to wait till LR4, they have some nice improvements with shadow and highlight recovery.

I don't have high enough post count to post the link, but google "lightroom 4 beta" should be the first link on adobe labs

Fat Tire Fatty
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nine22 View Post
    What are you guys using for software?
    I use Photomatix Pro 3

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I use Photomatix also. Much more control than basic HDR.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Personally I like HDR. I like the range of creativity that is afforded by this process. You can go from processing an image to be as close to what you saw with the naked eye, to the surreal, almost cartoon like effects. I don't care which lens you choose, it's not going to be as good as the naked eye, so we often find ourselves trying to process images in some fashion to get back what we feel has been lost. HDR can do a lot for us this way, if we are careful about it.
    When consumers have been polled, they overwhelmingly have preferred the HDR images to those unprocessed that way. That being said, it's entirely subjective. Though it's not HDR,why did Rhine II sell for 4.3 Million?!? Well, someone thought it was worth it, that's why!
    fatstevie, It's just like all other forms of media, music, painting, writing, etc. some will see creative genius, some will pretend to see it, and some will write it off all together as being pure crap! but if you like it and put it out there, it'll be a mixed bag, but the bottom line is, it's an example of YOUR creative expression, your passion, your mind, and it will resonate with some, and perhaps many.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

What About This

Hdr-novatel-hdr-copy.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Nice pic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    In that last picture, it looks like the plane has been photoshopped in and it looks too cartoony. It really takes away from the main picture.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    In my opinion, the best HDR photos do not look like they have been processed at all. Is it just me or am I the only one that seems to think like this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by blundar View Post
    In my opinion, the best HDR photos do not look like they have been processed at all. Is it just me or am I the only one that seems to think like this?
    In my experience, I would say yes. Both in photography and in videography. The best special effects are the ones you don't know are special effects.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatstevie View Post
    I know some don't consider this legitimate "photography",but I believe when done right you can create very interesting images. Anyone have thoughts/images they'd like to share?

I don't buy the "legitimate "photography"" tag. ANY picture taken with a camera and processed or not, is art. And who is anointed or designated the person to decide what a legitimate photograph is? That's the beauty of photography, especially since digital - you can create and manipulate as you like, and it still started with a camera. HDR, either radical or slight, can be awesome. I don't think anyone can judge what constitutes a 'real' photo. For every picture taken, there is someone who is going to think it was overdone, underdone, not enough color sat or too much color sat, etc. Just choose to either enjoy the shot or not. (ahhhh- done with rant - thx...)

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Stacked with three exposures.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast