mtbr member
    Jan 2011

HD Hero as everyday camcorder?

So I'm looking into getting a multi use video camera but I would like it to be somewhat compact and weather resistant is a plus. I want it to be versatile and durable and I don't want to spend more than $350. The GoPro HD Hero 2 looks great with the LCD screen attachment, but I'm concerned with two things, the wide angle lens, and having no zoom.

I wish there was a skin or attachment of some sort that you could put the GoPro in, much like the waterproof case, only giving it a zoom lens. Any opinions or ideas?

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    The HD Hero does not have a zoom attachment; either made by GoPro or by a third party. The only alternative is the Drift HD which does have a in-camera zoom but is water-resistant as opposed to water proof.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillsaylor View Post
    So I'm looking into getting a multi use video camera but I would like it to be somewhat compact and weather resistant is a plus. I want it to be versatile and durable and I don't want to spend more than $350. The GoPro HD Hero 2 looks great with the LCD screen attachment, but I'm concerned with two things, the wide angle lens, and having no zoom.

I wish there was a skin or attachment of some sort that you could put the GoPro in, much like the waterproof case, only giving it a zoom lens. Any opinions or ideas?
    I attempted to utilize the GoPro Hero (1) as an everyday camera but it didnt work out that great. As you mentioned, not having the ability to zoom is a real negative but for me the biggest con was the microphone. The mic is great for picking up anyone near the camera but anyone more than 5ft away becomes barely audible in the recording. You will need an external mic to make it usable and that will add to the cost. Here is a link I found on how to install a shotgun mic: Adding a Shotgun Microphone to a GoPro HD HERO2 ~ Campbell Cameras IN FOCUS blog

I have seen HD camcorders for less than $200. They have the ability to zoom and a superior mic. If you could combine one of those with a discounted or used GoPro Hero (1) you should be able to come very close to your budget with better overall results.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah that's what I was afraid of. If GoPro or a third party would come up with a skin type case to put the HD hero in that had a zoom lens and a better mic, who would need anything else??? Oh well, guess I'm getting two cameras

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    My friend tried it as his normal camera and it works halfway decent. Just when things are close up they look strange with the fish eye type lense.