Front Range, Colorado

GoPro users enquire within...

I just bought a GoPro Hero 3 Silver edition and upon opening it I realized I have to purchase a Mini Disk memory card seperately. I plan on using this camera for 3 hour rides and some skiing. What size memory card would you reccomend. And how much video can I expect to get out of the reccomended size card. And where's the cheapest place to buy these cards.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

I eat cats
    Google 'SD card for gopro' and you can go to their site (gopro's) to see what they recommend. From there I would suggest amazon once you figure out what you need/want. I forget what I got but you want to get a good one for HD.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Google 'SD card for gopro' and you can go to their site (gopro's) to see what they recommend. From there I would suggest amazon once you figure out what you need/want. I forget what I got but you want to get a good one for HD.
    Thanks GS I stopped at Best Buy today and bought two 32GB cards. I grabbed two because they were on sale. And I'm pretty sure they are the good ones. The salesman said they were rated 10. What do you think are they good?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GoPro users enquire within...-image.jpg  

--------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

I eat cats
    Yep, class 10 is the ticket! Looking fwd to more videos of CO trails..
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    Yep, class 10 is the ticket! Looking fwd to more videos of CO trails..
    Thank's for setting my mind at ease, not really into having issues due to a crappy card. And hopefully I can deliver on your request sir.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

So it turns out that REI is currently offering its members 20% off one item and surprisingly this includes GoPros. This was enough to push me over the edge. I just ordered a Hero 3+ black edition for $320 with free shipping. I can't wait to get my hands on it. So based on a quick perusal of various GoPro forums it sounds like Sandisk Extreme micro SD cards are among the top performers. Apparantly the camera may automatically throttle its bitrate with some slow cards. It sounds like this mostly becomes an issue when shooting at very high resolution. I have an old class 6 micro SD card but I think I will be buying a new higher speed card to try to get the best quality out of my new gopro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    A 32 gig card will last WAY longer than your battery. A class 10 as you got is perfect!

I use a 32 gig in my Original Hero. Very nice to have extra space!
    I know the battery on my brother's Hero3 Black only lasts about an hour, and I can get about 1.5 hours on my Original Hero.

mtbr member
    Hey there - I'd highly recommend a 64gig memory card. If you plan on recording in 1080p - every 10-17min is 4 gigs. You can burn through 17 min very quickly in a ride. Just my two cents. I'd also recommend a larger battery pack - runs out VERY QUICKLY.

mtbr member

Re: GoPro users enquire within...

Quote Originally Posted by LCBooger View Post
    Hey there - I'd highly recommend a 64gig memory card. If you plan on recording in 1080p - every 10-17min is 4 gigs. You can burn through 17 min very quickly in a ride. Just my two cents. I'd also recommend a larger battery pack - runs out VERY QUICKLY.
    Does GoPro have larger size batteries? I use the case that my GoPro Hero 3 white can with and there is not an extra inch of room in there. Do they also sell a larger case to fit?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Re: GoPro users enquire within...

Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    A 32 gig card will last WAY longer than your battery. A class 10 as you got is perfect!

I use a 32 gig in my Original Hero. Very nice to have extra space!
    I know the battery on my brother's Hero3 Black only lasts about an hour, and I can get about 1.5 hours on my Original Hero.
    I have recorded over 2 hours on a single battery. GoPro Hero 3 white. Done this both with 1080p-30 and 720p-60. Do the higher models suck battery life more than the white edition?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

New angle - excited to test it on the trails tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk