mtbr member

gopro stabilization

i've been using a gopro2 on my trail rides. i'm using kedge gopro mount and a gopro vented helmet strap mounts and all my footages are good but after watching too long i get headaches. what do you guys recommend to stabilize the videos?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    There really isnt much to be done beyond head mounting like you already do. Unless you want to get into expensive electronic stabilization with accelerometers and gyroscopes, the footage from your head will be the smoothest.

Then you can do some post processing in some video editing software to stabilize it further. iMovie has a basic one click stabilization function built into it, but adobe premiere pro or after effects you can be more precise. There are tons of video editing applications out there, some will do a great job some may not.

For fun look into steady cam for hand held footage.... implementing it for head mounted camera would be difficult and probably impractical unless the camera was miniaturized drastically beyond current go pro form factors.

EMBA Member
    Oct 2006
    The chest mount is the next best thing. Post processing can help and also not having the videos be too long. I notice the same eye strain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kasperilio View Post
    The chest mount is the next best thing. Post processing can help and also not having the videos be too long. I notice the same eye strain.
    This. Mounting the camera directly to the bike.

I cut all my videos to the length of a song, anything longer is just boring.

Pisgah Area SORBA

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    ... your idea of technical may be much different than other peoples idea of technical.

mtbr member
    Sony's new cam is supposed to have built in stabilization which may help some, but won't solve the problem.

SnapHappyChappy
    Dec 2012
    Like that view from the seatpost jerry68. Will have to try that myself

Gears... I hate gears
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fondoo View Post
    i've been using a gopro2 on my trail rides. i'm using kedge gopro mount and a gopro vented helmet strap mounts and all my footages are good but after watching too long i get headaches. what do you guys recommend to stabilize the videos?
    This was the problem with my first videos also. I had to pad my helmet with some cut up sponge and tape it in there to make it pretty stable. Make sure you really tighten down those straps. Another good tip is to have a point of reference to the thing the camera is mounted on. Try to get the tip of the helmet in it, that way when your helmet shakes, at least one thing in the frame will be solid. Its amazing what that little trick does to the eye.

Digital Toast
    Every thing I do for image stabilization is done in post.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry68 View Post
    This. Mounting the camera directly to the bike.

I cut all my videos to the length of a song, anything longer is just boring.

+1 on Jerry's statement. A good MTB video is between 3 - 5 min long. I have seen great ones even less time than that but average I would opine that 3 - 5 min is about the average attention span a video should be and should match the music.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

if you have an iPhone... Try Emulsio

I have tried using Youtube's stabilisation, and I am dissapointed with the tendency to zoom in and out, as it tries to crop the minimum frame dimensions.

I have tried a bunch of stuff... by far the best solution is the iOS app, Emulsio.

You will need to drop the video footage onto your iphone, but the iphone uses .mov files too, so it easily recognises the format if you dump it in your photos folder (I use a photo transfer app to drag and drop the video over wifi)

Then just open the file in Emulsio and select just how much / what axes you want stabilisation in.

options include any combination vertical, horizontal and rotation corrections.

because the gopro footage is such a broad fisheye view, I tend to turn on everything, and set the stabilisation to maximum (cinematographic) and go.

Results are ASTOUNDING! - I kid you, not.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    if you have an iPhone... Try Emulsio

I have tried using Youtube's stabilisation, and I am dissapointed with the tendency to zoom in and out, as it tries to crop the minimum frame dimensions.

I have tried a bunch of stuff... by far the best solution is the iOS app, Emulsio.

You will need to drop the video footage onto your iphone, but the iphone uses .mov files too, so it easily recognises the format if you dump it in your photos folder (I use a photo transfer app to drag and drop the video over wifi)

Then just open the file in Emulsio and select just how much / what axes you want stabilisation in.

options include any combination vertical, horizontal and rotation corrections.

because the gopro footage is such a broad fisheye view, I tend to turn on everything, and set the stabilisation to maximum (cinematographic) and go.

Results are ASTOUNDING! - I kid you, not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Full face helmets offer superior stabilization compared to standard helmets. Yes your head will feel like an over but your videos will be smooth.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Check out our solution... we weren't fans of helmet mounting - it kind of has you floating above the action and makes intense stuff look way easier than it is. Take a look at our clip killer angles and super stable video.

Last edited by STUNTMANCameraMounts; 08-24-2014 at 10:20 PM.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by STUNTMANCameraMounts View Post
    Check out our solution... we weren't fans of helmet mounting - it kind of has you floating above the action and makes intense stuff look way easier than it is. Take a look at our clip killer angles and super stable video.

I'm not a fan of the armpit POV. The chest mount looks much better, in fact a lot better than a helmet cam.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.