Thread: GoPro Question?

mtbr member

GoPro Question?

Like many of you, I only carry my DSLR on truly, photo-worthy bike adventures due to its bulk. So I was considering a GP5 for both video and photo options. As one with no experience with a GP, I had a couple question about using it for photos.

I know that the GP can do photos and videos simultaneously, however, does it offer a fast enough interval to capture a series of action shots?

My second question is, if I'm riding solo and I want to shoot a burst of photos, how do I start the camera remotely and can I set it to shoot for a certain period of time? Like 20 secs, etc.
    The only trace I leave behind is tire marks.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    The photos during video are not done simultaneously, it's done via the app/software where it just takes a single frame from the video. Nothing new or fancy about that besides you can do it from your smart phone via the app.

Not sure about the timers exactly, haven't messed with photo mode much but it does take great photos. I know it has a burst mode and is nicely adjustable via protune and so on.

It's no DSLR but for an action camera it does quite well if you know how to use the settings (I'm learning but camera has done well with my lack of skills)

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    How would you then compare GoPro pics to smartphone/iPhone for example? Is it worth considering or better stick to smartphone in case of photo shooting?

> /dev/null 2&>1
    I don't have a gp5 but usually Gopro is a wider angle with a shorter focal point and will not take landscape photos very well.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    GoPro photos for landscape arent bad at all. Better than my Android which is supposed to have a decent camera. There are settings adjustments that can be made to deal with the fishbowl look iirc

mtbr member
    After doing some research, it looks like the best method for shooting photos remotely on GP5 is using the "Time Lapse Photo" mode. The drawback is 0.5 second intervals is the fastest you can shoot photos, not really ideal for MTB action pics.

I also see suggestions for exporting a screen capture from your video as another method for getting pics, however, I've never had much luck exporting good, quality photos from Final Cut.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Time lapse isn't for fast action shots, it's for slow moving (aka the sun going across the sky, plant growing etc) action.

You want to use burst, series of fast shots.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    Time lapse isn't for fast action shots, it's for slow moving (aka the sun going across the sky, plant growing etc) action.

You want to use burst, series of fast shots.

I get that burst mode is for action. But that mode is limited to only 6 seconds max. I was addressing taking photos remotely with the GP5.