mtbr member
    Apr 2007

GoPro Hero Black 5

Good evening
    I got lucky and received a new Hero Black 5 for Xmas. I been playing with all of the settings lately and trying new things with it and during today's ride, I tried the time lapse photo option. I set it at 60 secs with it taking one pic per sec...which I must say...you cover way more ground on a bike in one sec then I ever thought. Lucky one of the pictures in that 60 sec span had me in it haha. But in looking at the picture, the ones with me in ir are blurry. I didn't think I had to change any additional setting but I thought the whole point of the time lapse option was to capture things in motion...

For an additional data point, I positioned the camera in a tree and in wide mode. I'm I missing a setting somewhere to capture clear images while in motion?

Thanks for any insight. I greatly appreciate it.

MZ

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Time lapse is not for high speed motion.

Burst mode with high (fast) shutter speed is how to catch pics like you I'm mid air.

Time lapse is done for something that moves extremely slow so when put together as a video the action you took time lapse of is sped up. Like a flower blooming, plant growing, moon travelling across the sky. It allows you to watch an entire process of such in a matter of a few seconds to a few minutes.

What your trying to do I can't explain very well (I can do it better than I can explain it) but use google, it's your friend. But it's like a said, burst mode (so you have a series of pictures) with really high shutter settings. Not easy. But faster the shutter speed the less motion blur. Slower the shutter speed (also referred to as exposure value but shutter speed gives more control) is used for making things like "light streaks" which are created by a moving light.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for ITUO and Ravemen:
    www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the help RAKC. That makes complete sense and I will use the burst mode from now on for things in motion. Only thing I'm trying to figure out is how to use that function while riding by myself. I was trying to place the GoPro in a tree and film me while I rode by to capture some pictures. That is why I was using Time Lapse because it would take pictures until I told it to stop. With Burst mode, I think it will only take pictures within the time options and not continuously. I don't have a lot of time with the GoPro so maybe there is a setting that will just take burst photos until I tell it to stop but I haven't found that yet. The problem is I have to set the camera, push start, run back up to the bike, ride the segment I want pictures taken of with me within the frame, hop off, and get the camera. So I'm trying to figure out how to enable the burst feature that will cover that whole time frame.

Thanks.

Matt

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    That's the problem, trying to capture those things solo is a nightmare. This is where the wireless remote would come in handy.

Get the wireless voice command remote, clip it up near your mouth (jersey collar, pack strap) and set the camera up for it and for voice command. Then as your coming up to right where the photo is to be taken just loudly say "GoPro take a photo". Will take you a few tries more than likely to get the hang of it (I'm about to order the remote myself) and to get the hang of the camera settings to do it right.

There is also using GoPro editing tools (supposably) where you can make a video (use max frame rate) then cut a single frame from it. Have no idea how that works exactly, never tried it, but read plenty of it being able to be done with GoPro videos from the last several years.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RAKC Ind; 02-15-2017 at 10:48 AM.
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for ITUO and Ravemen:
    www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Yeah, if you're simply trying to get a photo, just take some video at a high frame rate (make sure you have good lighting) and export a photo from a single frame. Not sure how you do it or if you can in GoPro editing tools, but I know how to do it in Adobe stuff. There has to be a way in the GoPro tools, I would think.

mtbr member
    Just what I was going to say:
    Set the video to 4K, film and extract single frames, which will give you 8,3 megapixel pictures.

Also the remote control is an advisable accessory.

Blurred images of jumps will always happen in less then brightly illuminated situations. To avoid that you would need short exposure time (1/1000s), which the GoPro does not let you control if I do remember right.

EDIT: just checked. With Protune-App you can influence the ISO that Gopro will use for photos. That would result in shorter exposure time.

But, really, the Gopro is for video more so than for photo.
    friendly greetings
    Frank