mtbr member
    Oct 2012

GoPro Hero 3 White vs. Sony HDR AS15

I'm looking for purchasing action camera, to shoot mtb in general and GoPro Hero 3 White & Sony Action Cam have around same price. Now i'm in a doubt should i get GoPro or Sony?

Which one do you suggest?

P.S Is it a problem for Sony action cam to be attached to chest? Because of it's shape?

I ride a Swarf
    I don't have a white, but a 3 black, and the sony. So it would be unfair of me to comment on the video quality

I got the sony first before the 3 came out.

The sony is an awkward shape for most purposes except side mounting on a helmet, where the gopro starts to get awkward. I tried chest mounting the sony, but it just pokes out too far levering up and down. I used a gorpo chesty with a tripod mount to gopro mount adapter, so maybe here is a better way now, but will still have to poke out too far, it has such a leverage effect that the gopro chesty straps stretch and move when hitting bumps.

my sony housing also encroached on the field of view of the camera, you could see a smudge in the corner of the frame when using the housing.

Not sure how much sony have improved mount selections, but gopro is very well catered for.

I really wanted to like the sony as gopro were ruling the roost, but they work very well. I love my 3 black, I haven't touched the sony since getting it last year.

There are far more choices these days for action cameras though and I am out of sate on that as I am not looking to replace my gopro yet.
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hey guys we've got a solution for the Sony (or GoPro). It works great with the Sony - you can mount it on your chest, shoulder, even your hip. In front, beside or behind you. And it's super stable - the camera doesn't flop around like with other chest mounts.

STUNTMAN Action Camera Mounts | Designed for Action and Extreme Sports | Shoulder or Chest POV Camera Mount
    Last edited by STUNTMANCameraMounts; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:15 PM.