mtbr member
    Sep 2017

GoPro For All Mountain Riding

Looking to get a GoPro for all mountain MTb. I already have a GoPro hero (entry level GoPro from a couple of years back) and am looking to upgrade (mainly for the wifi stuff). What GoPro would be best? (P.s mostly mount on enduro type helmet or chest)

mtbr member
    The only time I have ever used the wifi on my Hero3+ Black was when mounting it on the outside of my car, or out of immediate reach on my boat. Other than that...the wifi just hasn't been useful. For helmet or frame mounting on motorcycles or snowmobiles, or for mounting anywhere on my mountain bike, FAR easier to reach and hit the button. I just haven't found GoPro wifi to be useful for the kinds of action shooting that I do. I would upgrade for faster framer rates or better resolution.

Save the money for a gimbal. THAT would be an accessory worth the expenditure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Ok thanks👌

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Check out youtuber BKXC. That will answer all your questions.

mtbr member
    I agree with the wifi. I rarely ever use that feature on my hero 3. I either mount on my lid, on my chesty or free stand it to get pics of me riding.

One thing I'd suggest is try using it to just take pics. For trail riding I usually set the camera to take a pic every 5 or 10 seconds depending on how long of a ride I'm planning. At a bike park i'll alternate runs - sometimes I'll video and then other times I'll have it take a pic every half second or every second. I've grabbed some pretty sick still shots this way. I don't do anything super gnarly so it's far easier for me to get a captivating still than a captivating video!

Finally, I'd say fiddle with angles and locations to get keep things interesting. Aim it backwards, find a cool spot on your bike, etc.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)
    Centre Ski & Bike