Thread: go pro? or no?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

go pro? or no?

are go pro's really the best? does anyone know if anything is better for MTBing. i'm just concerned about the bouncing and shaking, i don't want choppy video.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Sony has image stabilization, although its' digital. It works pretty well and the newer models are supposed to work even better. Your other options is have more secure mounting system, have a gimbaled, gyro, mechanical stabilized mount, do digital IS in post processing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    juuust kidding the new GoPro 4 is pretty frikin SWEETT!!! so i'm going to get that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hmm, official info is out. No IS but I guess maybe their thoughts are the real pros know how to deal with it so don't need it in the camera, and it degrades image quality.
    Since I'm not a pro and I can't see working in 4k, I'm leaning toward the new Sony.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    the new go pro 4 does have image stabilizer. and it also has a 120 fps with 1080p which i like. i think i'm going for the new go pro 4

mtbr member
    GoPro Hero3+ user here. I find that the stabilization of the video depends largely on the mount. For example, the handlebar mount is noticeably more shaky than the chest mount. That said, the handlebar mount is one of the most versatile mounts I have! And it's not too pricey! I definitely recommend and a GoPro and the Hero4 looks legit!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have not seen in any official documentation mention of the GP 4 having IS. You can of course do it with software in post, but if you're not into the post production effort its nice to have it in camera.
    The GP4 definitely looks good, the high frame rates are good, it does help to cut down a lot on the "Jello" effect. It's just not enough to make me want to upgrade right now, seeing as I have a GP3, GP3+ and 1st gen Sony. If I didn't have these and were looking for an action cam, then the GP4 would definitely be a contender.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have a Hero3 Silver, really like the camera, and just work with its limitations. I've used it for MTB, but also for work (job site time lapses, flying the camera on trusses and assemblies, etc...) From my research, they were the best at the time...

I will skip the 4, even though it looks sweet. I'll likely pick up the cheap $130 option to have a second camera available for work related stuff (and not send my Hero3 into harms way as often).

I hope they license the software and systems that Instagram is using in their Hyperlapse app. If GoPro could incorporate that (even in post, using their software to stabilize based on gyro and accelerometer data that is recorded to the file in camera) they'd have a bad ass and sweet setup....

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    there are several post-shoot video processing softwares available to stabilize your stuff, so if it doesn't have it built in don't need to fret to much about it...it's fixable

Genius
    I get fantastic video quality on my Samsung S5. All the software for stabilization, editing, publishing, etc is there so I never went for a gopro or the like. Most days I upload from the parking lot after the ride and it is online before I get home. Also, youtube has image stabilization if that's the only thing you are concerned with. It gives you playback with the original and stabilized side by side so it is easy to see the difference. It is actually pretty good.... and it's free.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    for any video stablization you need

download virtualdub

Welcome to virtualdub.org! - virtualdub.org

download deshaker plugin for virtualdub

Deshaker - video stabilizer

it will stabilize any video and has default options that work great, or you
    can customize the heck out of it

real short tutorial:

1. Open your video clip in VirtualDub
    2. Add the Deshaker filter
    3. In the Deshaker configuration dialog that appears, select Pass1
    4. File/Run video analysis pass instead. No useful video is created during this first pass, so there's no need to save the output video.
    5. Open the Deshaker configuration dialog again (menu: Video/Filters, double-click: Deshaker line), and select Pass 2 by clicking on it.
    6. Select a video codec (menu: Video/Compression) and encode the video the usual way (menu: File/Save as AVI)

Bam! (well, wait a while then BAM)

you get an avi file all stabilized and such

either way it is all freeware under GNU

you may need to add plugins to virtualdub to process mov files correctly, also if you have issues using the 64 bit version (mine was fine except mpeg4 was blackscreen) use the 32 bit version. though the 64 bit version is available, my mov files were black screen in 64 bit (buggy) once I uninstalled and installed 32 bit it was all good

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I love my Hero3. Like anything, practice makes perfect. The more videos I take the more I find out what mounts work, what angles work, etc. I've used the GoPro for biking, skiing, boarding and even set it up to take a pic every 60 seconds at parties, etc.