mtbr member

filming with SLR?

Hello all,
    I'm just a hobbiest "videographer" not looking to spend a lot of money for something that shoots video in 1080p. I've been shooting "trail edits" with my gopro and to be honest, the gopro just makes everything looks so timid and slow.

this is a video i made of a local trail. i'm not looking for anything super professional, just something that will do the trails (and my riding) a little more justice. any ideas?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I think it looks pretty decent. The natural light, or lack there of doesn't help though. I am not too far from you and am now inspired to hit that trail..looks like fun.
    One Gear Under God

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Pretty good job IMO. I am experimenting with a Go Pro now and my results are so so at best.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think it is looking good. Starting to do some filming myself, so I like to see what others have done. We suffer from low/flat lighting here in the UK a lot and I have read that using 30fps over 60fps will help that, especially at dusk.

I think the mix of different views looks good. are you using an SLR for the shots from the side of the trail? I have an SLR which I am planning to use in the same way, but have no tripod at the moment.

I am planning to experiment with my action cam a bit more once I get some new mounts. Currently just have a back pack mount made by Peak Designs (for a Sony POV cam), but am looking to get both handlebar (for forward and looking back/up at rider views), as well as a seat rail mount.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Ti View Post
    I think it looks pretty decent. The natural light, or lack there of doesn't help though. I am not too far from you and am now inspired to hit that trail..looks like fun.
    I agree on the natural light. It was pretty overcast that day. Anytime you want to come to KSF just let me know. I can show you a bunch of fun stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gribble View Post
    I think it is looking good. Starting to do some filming myself, so I like to see what others have done. We suffer from low/flat lighting here in the UK a lot and I have read that using 30fps over 60fps will help that, especially at dusk.

I think the mix of different views looks good. are you using an SLR for the shots from the side of the trail? I have an SLR which I am planning to use in the same way, but have no tripod at the moment.

I am planning to experiment with my action cam a bit more once I get some new mounts. Currently just have a back pack mount made by Peak Designs (for a Sony POV cam), but am looking to get both handlebar (for forward and looking back/up at rider views), as well as a seat rail mount.
    thanks! good to know about the FPS, I haven't thought to try different rates for low light. This was all GoPro start to finish. def send a link if you make a video. I'd like to see what you come up with.