mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Feedback on my pIcs

O.k. I will not even pretend to be a photographer yet since so many of my photos are shot in AUTO still but I would like feedback on some of my images. I took a lot of photos at the Shimano Winter Series Round #2 last week and I think there are a handful of decent images nothing stellar ... For my blog/website we rely mostly on contributing photographers and have done Features on photographers that would like to get their work out there such as our current feature : CLEGHORN PHOTOGRPAHY

The SHIMANO WINTER SERIES are on my FB page HERE

Here are a few non biking photos for comment - mostly my kids.

Any and all tips are appreciated ... I have been reading a ton and feel like I am getting an understanding... now I need to start implementing and practicing it in the field.

Last edited by A-NON-A; 01-28-2012 at 05:39 PM.
    Soil Taste Tester

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Wow 75 views and no comments... are they that bad? I thought my composition was o.k. The cycling photos were a little lacking especially the first 20-30 in the album but then I felt they got a little better.

Hmm.
    Soil Taste Tester

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Really pic 5 of the barn is the only one that to me is just eh why was it taken.
    In 3$ although the background is blurred nicely it still seems to distract too much for my taste. I like the others.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    Really pic 5 of the barn is the only one that to me is just eh why was it taken.
    In 3$ although the background is blurred nicely it still seems to distract too much for my taste. I like the others.
    Well I am glad they are not horrible... The barn is a shot I felt I could saturate or post process to really get the red to pop... but mainly it was just about the composition. I felt that I did a decent job placing it in the photo even if it wasnt exciting....

I appreciate your feedback as I have really just started. I feel like I am spending an hour a day reading up on photography... now I need to apply that hour to taking photos and maybe see if I can take a course locally...
    Soil Taste Tester

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I know how its frustrating not receiving feedback. I would say your images are not bad, good exposure for the ones on the forums here. The thing they lack mostly is composition. I'll go one by one to kinda help out.

1. By far the best composition, I would add some contrast.
    2. Good use of Fill light, but girl body feels as if shifted to the left(of camera) and she is facing out of frame(its just the angle you are taking it at), usually you want your subject to face into the frame of the image. I would go portrait crop and straighten the image(top appears farther left than bottom)a and crop tighter. Also her right arm is cropped by the bar at her elbow, usually you don't want to crop and image at the elbow because it looks kinda goofy and the bar is making it goofy.
    3. Bokeh is fun, where is your subject?
    4. Ok, subject in rear head chopped off and subject in front chin chopped off, turn your camera and take a portrait orientation. A tad under exposed.
    5. Barn - "sniper shot" meaning subject is dead center, learn about rule of thirds and golden spiral for composing.Looks like taken at high noon or so, wait for end of day, start of day to get nicer light.
    6. Spider- spider is appearing to look out of the frame, re-compose. focus appears to be on corner of beam and not on spider. Careful with shallow DOF

I checked out your biking pictures on your FB and in most appears your shutter was not fast enough. The riders do not appear sharp. Do you know your Shutter Speed? Check your exif. My bet is around 60-100th. I would try to aim for 500th-1000th. Also watch your composition it makes a huge difference. Add some contrast/clarity.

What software are you using?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nine22 View Post
    I know how its frustrating not receiving feedback. I would say your images are not bad, good exposure for the ones on the forums here. The thing they lack mostly is composition. I'll go one by one to kinda help out.

1. By far the best composition, I would add some contrast.
    2. Good use of Fill light, but girl body feels as if shifted to the left(of camera) and she is facing out of frame(its just the angle you are taking it at), usually you want your subject to face into the frame of the image. I would go portrait crop and straighten the image(top appears farther left than bottom)a and crop tighter. Also her right arm is cropped by the bar at her elbow, usually you don't want to crop and image at the elbow because it looks kinda goofy and the bar is making it goofy.
    3. Bokeh is fun, where is your subject?
    4. Ok, subject in rear head chopped off and subject in front chin chopped off, turn your camera and take a portrait orientation. A tad under exposed.
    5. Barn - "sniper shot" meaning subject is dead center, learn about rule of thirds and golden spiral for composing.Looks like taken at high noon or so, wait for end of day, start of day to get nicer light.
    6. Spider- spider is appearing to look out of the frame, re-compose. focus appears to be on corner of beam and not on spider. Careful with shallow DOF

I checked out your biking pictures on your FB and in most appears your shutter was not fast enough. The riders do not appear sharp. Do you know your Shutter Speed? Check your exif. My bet is around 60-100th. I would try to aim for 500th-1000th. Also watch your composition it makes a huge difference. Add some contrast/clarity.

What software are you using?

Thank you for the very thorough feedback. Its funny that stuff you pointed out didnt even hit my radar or I had a completely different thought on.

For Instance ...
    Didnt notice her arm cropped at the elbow.
    Shot with the cut off head and chin I felt it gave it a movie like feel since he was looming in the background.
    The Barn for whatever reason didnt seem dead center because I was looking at the angle of the wall ... but it couldnt be more dead center..... And you are right about the time of day .. I was just on a hike with the kids that turned into a 10 mile hike and it was afternoon by the time we made it that far.

I just downloaded GIMP and LIGHTROOM 4 BETA to start processing photos. Before I as doing anything to them or I was using the Canon Packaged software....

Thanks Again .. I apreciate your insight. Like someone said above ( including myself) I need to start shooting a lot more to practice.
    Soil Taste Tester

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by A-NON-A View Post
    Thank you for the very thorough feedback. Its funny that stuff you pointed out didnt even hit my radar or I had a completely different thought on.

For Instance ...
    Didnt notice her arm cropped at the elbow.
    Shot with the cut off head and chin I felt it gave it a movie like feel since he was looming in the background.
    The Barn for whatever reason didnt seem dead center because I was looking at the angle of the wall ... but it couldnt be more dead center..... And you are right about the time of day .. I was just on a hike with the kids that turned into a 10 mile hike and it was afternoon by the time we made it that far.

I just downloaded GIMP and LIGHTROOM 4 BETA to start processing photos. Before I as doing anything to them or I was using the Canon Packaged software....

Thanks Again .. I apreciate your insight. Like someone said above ( including myself) I need to start shooting a lot more to practice.

The lines will play tricks with you, remember western people read left to right, top to bottom, so unless the line itself brings you to center, or to area of rule of thirds it will usually look off. (took me a while to figure this out)... once you realize this, you can often spot a picture that is composed by a person from a different culture where the reads right to left.

The cinematic effect would of worked if it wasn't dead center, and I would even say crop it more. I'm hate cropping photos, I like the whole body/face in, and when I try to go for that dramatic crop/frame. I never do it enough it seems, I would crop it below her eyes/above her nose, and have the original top of frame and position them so they are on the right side of the frame. Try to straighten the frame up too the crooked trees and brick are distracting.

Lightroom 4 is great, I edit every photo in LR, and rarely have the need to Photoshop any sort of action shots. Usually just portraits.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    O.k. here are a couple more... I feel they are a little better. Any opinions on these?

Soil Taste Tester

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I think they are much better!

1. I'm split on the colors, usually I don't like the desaturated look, a little hotspot in the middle, but the composition is way better, trails leads your eye from the left to the right, right towards the rider, who is in that rule of 3rds region, and he is looking towards the center again.

2. I like this one too, appears to be out of focused like you had the focal point at the right 1/3rd and got the his collar area of his shirt in focus. With portraits, ALWAYS focus on the eyes. (you might be able to view your focus point in the packaged software, I know Nikon's View NX does that, I often pull it up an image just for that function to help see where things might of gone wrong.)

3. A little hot but it works, you can see his eyes, in the top 1/3rd of image, eyes looking towards the center of frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nine22 View Post
    I think they are much better!

1. I'm split on the colors, usually I don't like the desaturated look, a little hotspot in the middle, but the composition is way better, trails leads your eye from the left to the right, right towards the rider, who is in that rule of 3rds region, and he is looking towards the center again.

2. I like this one too, appears to be out of focused like you had the focal point at the right 1/3rd and got the his collar area of his shirt in focus. With portraits, ALWAYS focus on the eyes. (you might be able to view your focus point in the packaged software, I know Nikon's View NX does that, I often pull it up an image just for that function to help see where things might of gone wrong.)

3. A little hot but it works, you can see his eyes, in the top 1/3rd of image, eyes looking towards the center of frame.

Thanks... feedback much appreciated. The first shot I got a much better version that conveys the action but I caught the branch across his face....
    Soil Taste Tester

saddlemeat
    ^^^The three are composed ok, if a little tight... my eye tends to go to the focal point and stay there. While it is possible to create movement within the image with judicious use of the levels tool, the saturation tool, and the unsharp mask tool in your image editor, the story you are telling with the image is also important for an interesting photo and I don't have much of a sense of what is going on beyond the obvious focal point. Focus, exposure, depth of field, and composition are all just tools to add texture to the story.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Practice practice practice your composition. As you practice your composition pay attention to the lighting. After you get the technical aspects under control the light is EVERYTHING.

You're off to a good start. Keep shooting and be absolutely militant in your self-editing.