mtbr member

Favorite point and shoot cameras?

Looking for a new point and shoot camera. I accidentally left mine in the truck this winter and the batteries froze and broke ruining the camera. Im not looking for ultra high quality just want something better than my phone. I saw a bear a few weeks ago and couldnt get a picture because the phone did not zoom in enough.

Cheaper is better, that way if I wreck or something Im not destroying a $500 camera. My requirements are:

1) Decent bit of zoom. Probably 10x+ Optical.
    2) Good battery life, my old camera would eat a battery in 20 minutes of use. Even the nice expensive camera specific AA's it would eat like candy.
    3) Reasonably priced.
    4) Smaller is better.

Any oppinions?
    I was looking at this one but wasnt sure if there was better out there for the money.
    Canon PowerShot ELPH 350 HS Digital Camera with 20.2 Megapixels and 12x Optical Zoom - Walmart.com

WRB
    mtbr member
    That one looks like a decent one. I think this would be a better option:

Nikon Coolpix S7000 16.0-Megapixel Digital Camera Black 26483 - Best Buy

Oh, and this one is on sale for $100 off.

I use my phone, a Nokia Lumia Icon. It takes 20MP photos but can't zoom really far.

saddlemeat
    I ride with the best people.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.

I will have to check out that Nikon. A lot more zoom for little cost. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 which takes nice photos up close but it sucks at long range photos or landscape photos. It seems I always find cool views when biking but the photos just don't capture the cool parts.

I'll jave to look at these mirror less cameras more. They weren't around when I bought my last camera. I'm just worried about their size and cost. I'd be a bit uneasy lugging $300 around in my pack to get broken or rained on by a surprise storm.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If your worried about that, there's the Nikon AW1. I have one as my ridIng camera and it's a beast. I sling it on my hip. It will damage me more than it in a crash. It been in a deluge that was so bad my DT hub bearings went bad. It been dropped, tossed to buddies down the trail, slammed in van door multiple times. It isn't particularly light or compact tho. Zoom not very big. AF and burst rate are impressive. Battery lasts a day of shooting depending on what your doing. Just about any cam with a lithium pack will outlast one using AA.

mtbr member
    I just bought an Olympus TG-4 rugged camera.

It probably isn't the best picture taking camera ever, but being waterproof, I can take pics in the pouring rain if I see something that I want to photograph.
    Help chart the mountains at www.appalachianbiketrails.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    There's a good amount of rugged point and shoots out there now to choose from. I got the first canon waterproof powershot egg and it was pretty good for what it was at the time.
    Friend carries a regular canon powershot in a chest mounted waterproof case. Keeps it protected but can't use it in the rain. Actually what he has now is no longer a powershot, it's a pretty advanced but not too much bigger than one.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The Nikon S series with the longer zoom are pretty decent cameras fur the money. A friend has one and it takes really nice pics. Zoom is excellent. Not sure about how rugged it is tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk