troll

DSLR protective wrap / low profile soft case?

I'm wanting to start taking my Nikon D7000 on rides with me, and I'm looking for something not too bulky to wrap, or protect my camera while in my backpack - an Osprey Raptor 18. I like keeping things simple, and I only shoot with a 35mm lens, so my camera isn't huge and I don't have a need for a lot of other camera gear like lenses and flashes, which is why I didn't opt for a purpose-built camera pack like a Clik Elite or LowePro.

Any suggestions from experience?

saddlemeat
    I made a simple bag from the sleeve of an old fleece jacket for my D5000. I shove it in the top of a camelpack with the lens down so I can just unzip and grab it ready to shoot.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    ya know slowernsnot mentioned the clik elite chestie standard size. It is barely big enough to hold the cam and a kit lens or perhaps slightly larger lens. And the cam is at the ready. I am thinking of eventually getting one. I already carry a small camera pouch on my osprey sternum strap. I dont think a dslr sized one would be all the awkward. well i wouldnt take it every ride...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr View Post
    ya know slowernsnot mentioned the clik elite chestie standard size. It is barely big enough to hold the cam and a kit lens or perhaps slightly larger lens. And the cam is at the ready. I am thinking of eventually getting one. I already carry a small camera pouch on my osprey sternum strap. I dont think a dslr sized one would be all the awkward. well i wouldnt take it every ride...
    I can vouch for this, it works really well. You can have it on your chest and have immediate access to the camera. Having a camera in a backpack while on a ride is sort of a drag from my experience because half the time you can't access it in time to get the shot, so you end up just not taking all that many shots!

As it turns out I am selling the clik elite medium slr chest pack. Mine is new. I ended up moving to fx right after I bought this and now it sits in my closet. I bought a bigger clik to replace this. If you are interested send me a pm. Clik bags are great for hikers and mtn bikers, very well designed for sports in mind.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have been wearing my camera on my chest for the uphill, and then stuff it my backpack for the downhill. My reasoning has been more protection for the camera, and avoiding an event/crash that would drive my camera into my chest cavity with all those vital organs. Wouldn't you know it I hooked my backpack on a low slung branch on the down hill, which shot me up like a pendulum, and then deposited me on my back. The camera still works, but now groans when turning it on....really.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm new to MTB riding, but have been an advid photographer. Is anyone aware of a backpack that opens side flap (as opposed to top-down zipper) like some camera backpacks, but has a compartment for a camelback bladder? I carry multiple lenses and filters, and need to have some padding around my gear even if I have to go buy foam and cut it myself (which would be cheaper than a camera bag). Camelback is needed because I plan on parking the bike at times and hiking up the points where bike won't go and don't care to carry an extra bottle.