mtbr member

DSLR Camera pack bag for DH use

I just got new DSLR (EOS 60D) and I need pack bag for it. Demands are:

-better protection for the cam than normal cam pack bags (will use it on downhill)
    -hydration possibility

I know some of you shoot awesome photos and ride the bike, so what's the best pack bag for DSLR cam?

mtbr member
    I was just researching the same thing. I haven't gotten one yet, but am planning on getting an Clik Elite Medium Nature camera pack.

mtbr member
    Thnx for pointin' me to Clik Elite. There's a few possible matches for me. But I keep looking and also will be all ears to any new suggestions.

mtbr member
    I've heard also some positive things about Burton Zoom. Althought it doesn't have hydration. But there's some kind of laptop pocket/section, so it's maybe possible to get there hydra-pack. Maybe. This is all speculation as I don't have the pack on my hands.

But definitely one to think about...

mtbr member
    There's a few threads on the subject in the Passion forum, here's a couple if you haven't seen them already:

What to carry camera equip with?
    Clik Elite ProBody Sport

mtbr member
    Thnx for the links bvibert. I think I'm gonna get the ProBody from Clik Elite.

Not sure yet, but I still have a few months here, before I have to make my mind

mtbr member
    Has anyone modified Boblbee pak for DSLR use? It could take some hits and protect the camera. Just came to my mind.

mtbr member
    i had the same issue. i bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/TECH-SOFT-POUC...7&sr=8-4-spell

and i just stuff it in my camelbak mule. With that said, i also purcased the "just bring us the pieces" 3 year warrenty from the camera store....challenge accepted!
    -=-=Quiver=-=-=-
    2011 Demo 8.II Highlighter Yellow
    2011 SX 4x
    2010 Enduro Pro Carbon
    2012 Hardrock 29er

mtbr member
    Little update to this topic. I got the Clik Elite ProBody and it is great. Althought I didn't crash whit it so can't say how it would take the hit.

In the upper pocket you can fit some spare parts for a day ride and the hydrationpak fitted perfectly, at least my hydrationpak wich is from hydrapak.

Here's a few frame from ┼re bikepark, Sweden. And I'm the one who's riding that thousend pound Scream

Just Ride
    I have a SLR not a DSLR. I was considering buying about a $400 point n shoot camera for use on the trails. But realize I'd be much happier with a DSLR, since I have a renewed interest in photography as a hobby. Even though I have no idea how I'd take it with me on the trails.

Do these packs you guys are talking about protect the camera in the event of a crash? Or would one need to ride more cautiously when totting the camera? I'd hate to spend $600 plus on a camera only to have it break the first time I wreck.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Lowe Pro has a bunch of packs that are suitable for riding. I use a Lowe Pro holster than fits perfectly in my Camelbak.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    A dakine mission

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thinking about getting the Lowe Pro Photosport 200 model. Seems to be the best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    F-stop backpacks are my favorite for carrying gear during adventure sports. I've got the Loka and Tilopa. Unless you strap a Pelican case to your back I don't think any pack is going to offer crash protection.

° F-Stop // Adventure Photography Camera Packs and Bags - 253.236.0070 °

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fishrising View Post
    F-stop backpacks are my favorite for carrying gear during adventure sports. I've got the Loka and Tilopa. Unless you strap a Pelican case to your back I don't think any pack is going to offer crash protection.
    I agree, only a pelican case could offer some good crash protection. Otherwise, any other backpack if you land on your back will probably collapse.

SnapHappyChappy
    Dec 2012
    I use a LowePro Fastpack 250 for my work. Small enough for my Nikon D3 and the lenses I need to haul on the bike. There's a document pouch at the back which could easily hold the hydration pack out of your camelbak etc.

I chose it mainly because the flap on the front allows me to carry my Manfrotto tripod transversally, which means the tripod head doesn't slam into the back of my skull should I trip or come off the bike...an important consideration if you intend to take a tripod out with you, and one I learnt the very hard way

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by defigh View Post
    I have a Photo Sport AW 200 and like it a lot. I can get my 60D with a 17-70 lens mounted along with a 50mm and a 55-250mm in the lower padded area of the pack easily. The upper area has a surprising amount of room as well for other stuff. I have no issues getting a spare tube, pump, tool kit, snacks and even a light jacket in there if need be. The specs say a 70oz. bladder will fit but I've used 100oz. bladders from Camelback (old style) and Osprey in there and they will fit just fine.

Comfort wise, I've done several 25mi + rides with no issues, I tend to keep the pack a little looser when climbing and then sinch things down for the descents and it stays put just fine. The only gripe I have with it is that it can "turtle" a little bit on your back with a bladder that is completely full. I think the best option would be using one of Camelback's newer Antidote bladder with the baffle running down the middle to keep the back flatter while its full.

Its also nice for traveling too. Especially if you are flying light with only a carry-on and a + one backpack.

mtbr member
    I may go with the Lowepro Photo sports backpack for biking. Otherwise for normal hiking I use the 200AW

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I use a Lowepro Rover AW II and love it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm using Lowepro Flipside Sport AW -> Lowepro | Flipside Series

FYI, last week the chest strap came off after 8 months of usage (2 years warranty). I send it back to the local Lowepro distributor and after a few days they replace a brand new bag for me. The best part is, when I send the bag to them it's without the camera removable compartment. However they give me a camera removable compartment for free. You can seriously consider Lowepro for their after sales service

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    +1, although if you're looking for something similar on a budget try the Dakine Sequence.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'll second the LowePro Flipside Sport, I have one of the newer 10L packs (they also have a larger 15L) and it seems perfect for carrying a DSLR and biking. You can't fit that much extra "stuff" in it if you're taking an extra lens, but there's still ample room. It weighs about 50% less than the Dakine pack, too.