What is a good action shot dslr for under $750

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Any of them, suitability for action shot depends mostly on the lens

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks

Really I am that slow
    ive been really happy with my cannon t3 with a 50mm lens, wish i have a remote shutter for it other wise been super happy it, fairly light body, cropped sensor so then lens works out being 79mm

its been nice to play with full manual and understanding how the different settings impact the shot
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    I have a Nikon D5100 that I've been using, mostly with a 55-300mm lens for motorsports photography & last fall, I started shooting mtbikes with the stock, 18-55mm lens and have gotten decent results. I won Specialized's #RideRowdy contest last December with this one:

I should be able to get better results with a faster lens & a flash.

mtbr member
    seconded on the D5100 - I found it easy to use and takes amazing shots.
    "Get busy living, or get busy dying"

mtbr member
    Nikon D300. Awesome camera, weather sealed, amazing AF system, shoots faster than the D5100, can be found for $500 or less on the used market.

saddlemeat

Re: Dslr

D5x00 or D3x00 are excellent DX bodies that can usually be bought refurbed from B&H. Lens compatibility not as good as the FX bodies but much more compact. The flip out screen is useful. The D7000 is even better, especially lens compatibility, you might find one in your price range, I think the release of the D600 has lowered it's price.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    This site comes highly recommended from a few friends of mine to buy used camera gear. Excellent prices and great condition. EX and EX+ are nearly new condition.

saddlemeat

Re: Dslr

Quote Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
    This site comes highly recommended from a few friends of mine to buy used camera gear. Excellent prices and great condition. EX and EX+ are nearly new condition.
    I bought a couple used lenses from KEH and they were really nice, have only heard good things from other photogs.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    C'mon... the Nikon D7000. She is a beauty!

mjw
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I would sooner a Canon 7D than a Nikon D7000, and I would assume they can be had for around your price range too. Fit it with a Canon 50mm 1.8, and you have a great platform to start with.

For shooting MTB, yes, lenses will make a difference to an extent, and to the same extent good autofocus will also make a difference when tracking a subject approaching you as mach speed.

Good lenses will allow you greater shutter speed, but they are also more limiting on the other side of the coin, because as you open up your aperture to let in more light, your depth of field becomes thinner and thinner and getting what you want in focus can become an issue.

Personally, I would want a body with good ISO performance to keep my shutter speed up when in the woods and with lack of great light, and I would shoot with a more narrow aperture (f4-f5.6 or even f8 as opposed to f1.4 or f2.8...when possible of course, and able to achieve acceptable ss while doing so), to ensure sharp and in focus images...more keepers this way in my experience. Combined with good autofocus and you have yourself a winner.

Fartographer
    Quote Originally Posted by ironbrewer View Post
    Another thumbs up on KEH!
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Another vote for the 7D, if you can find one. There is something to be said about 8.5 frames per second when shooting anything moving. I have also shot with the D5100 and its a great camera. At the end of the day, if you dont have good glass on the camera, you are going to get what you pay for. Let me know if you have any specific questions. I shoot a lot of MOTO with my 7D.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    BTW, I've purchased all of my equipment refurbed from Canon and have had great results.

Fartographer
    I'll give the 7D a thumbs-up, too. I get to use all kinds of cameras since I review them for PhotographyREVIEW.com. But I actually own the EOS 7D and I've had absolutely zero regrets with it. As far as image quality goes, Canon's APS-C sensor is way off the back now. But for overall performance, there's nothing like the 7D unless you're willing to spend about $5000. Here's a gallery of my 7D photos on PhotographyREVIEW.com:

Photo-John's Canon EOS 7D Photo Gallery >>

There are tons of rumors about the 7D being replaced soon so you might be able to pick one up really cheap in the next few months. Also, I recently bought a Canon T4i / 650D for the studio and video and I'm really impressed with it. It has the same sensor as the 7D but it's not as fast or built quite as well. That said, the auto focus seems excellent and if you buy it with one of Canon's new STM lenses, the continuous AF in video can even keep up with a mountain bike. I am super impressed with it. For a budget mtb DSLR, I highly recommend the Canon T4i / 650D kit with the 18-135mm STM lens.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I would check out the Pentax k30, it's weather sealed and brand new gets you right around your budget. I personally don't like zooms as they are too bulky, Pentax has a great line of prime lenses that are super small. Something to check out. If you want a little more camera check out the Pentax K5 and K5II. Both of these are weather sealed as well. I just went on a 100 mile WHite rim trip with my pentax k5ii and 15mm prime lens. It fit in the back pocket of my jersey. Worth a look.

Just my .2

Fartographer
    Quote Originally Posted by alexzhu1 View Post
    Any of them, suitability for action shot depends mostly on the lens
    I actually disagree with that. I mostly use slow, variable aperture zooms when I'm riding. Those are lenses that most people would say aren't "suitable." But for me, the versatility of the lens is most important. I want a camera with decent ISO performance, a fast burst rate and good continuous auto focus. I mostly save my big, fast-aperture lenses for shooting events.

Fartographer
    I agree the Pentax K-30 is a good option. I like everything about it except the continuous auto focus, which is no good for any serious action. I also like zoom lenses and think the Pentax 18-135mm zoom is great for mountain biking. It's a great, versatile range and the optics are quite good. Here's a gallery of photos I took with the Pentax K-30 (including a bunch of mtb stuff), last year:

Photo-John's Pentax K-30 Gallery >>

cowbell
    Photo-John, I have a raging debate about my next DSLR. Burst rate of the 7D or low light performance of the 6D + full frame advantages. Note that all the lenses I have that I care about will fit either body. Your answer may not decide for me, but I value informed opinions, and assume you have one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I know this is an annoying response, but it depends on what you want to shoot the majority of the time with your DSLR. Camera's often boil down to those same Ford vs Chevy discussions we are used to. I'd say give some serious consideration into what you are going to be shooting the MOST and go that direction. If sports and action shooting are your thing, maybe its the 7D. If not, then the meter is going to lean to the 6D probably. Also consider the crop factor of the 7D with your lens range as well.

Fartographer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    I'd say give some serious consideration into what you are going to be shooting the MOST and go that direction. If sports and action shooting are your thing, maybe its the 7D. If not, then the meter is going to lean to the 6D probably. Also consider the crop factor of the 7D with your lens range as well.
    I totally agree with what Chuch said.

Most of the time I try to convince people to buy the cheapest camera that will get the job done and then spend the money they save on a better lens. And I also encourage people to consider whether they really *need* a full-frame camera. It seems most people automatically assume that for any serious photography they have to have a full-frame camera like the Canon EOS 6D. For what it's worth, I shoot all of Interbike - most of it in terrible light - with an APS-C camera. Yes, it would be easier with a full-frame camera. But you don't need one. The other reason I personally choose an APS-C camera is the smaller sensor means I can use smaller lenses and that's better when I'm carrying my camera on the bike or skis. Equivalent full-frame lenses are much bigger and heavier.

So what will you mostly be shooting, Cotharyus? Why do you think the 7D might not cut it for you? Also, are you locked into Canon or would you consider other brands? The Nikon D7100 that we just reviewed on PhotographyREVIEW.com (read the review) has low light performance almost as good as a full-frame camera - I consider it useable all the way up to ISO 6400. That's a couple of stops better than the 7D. It also costs less than the 7D. The only downside is it's not quiate as fast and the auto focus isn't quite as good as you'd get with the 7D. On the other hand, it definitely splits the difference between the 7D and the 6D and saves you at least a couple hundred dollars.

For what it's worth, even though I own a 7D, I've been doing most of my trail shooting lately with the T4i / 650D because it's a bit smaller and lighter

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Photo John, it sounds like you are a guy I need to get to know. LOL Right on brother.

Fartographer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Photo John, it sounds like you are a guy I need to get to know. LOL Right on brother.
    You mean because I'm open-minded and reasonable about cameras? ;-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    HA! Yep, that pretty much sums it up. There are so many photographers and people in the business who are A) extremely egotistical or B) so loyal to "this one is ALWAYS better than that brand" that it gets really annoying. I like your down to earth truths....

And well, it sounds like you'd have plenty of saweeet gear for me to borrow if we were local bro's.

I'm still getting into it. I have a small website set up for some weekend hobby work. You can see some of my stuff Kinetic Exposures. Enjoy. As I am just getting back into MTB, I hope to really get kicking on taking some great shots in the woods but its hard to set the bike down and shoot! LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast