mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Do you have to be a rider to take good MTB video or photos?

Recently some of my friends were in a discussion about MTB video recording.
    We mostly have one or two guys who will strap a gopro to somewhere, record, edit and post a mostly linear video.
    I have a friend who does videography for a living and gave me two free recordings.

The comment was made by one of the "experienced" riders present that you have to be a mtb rider to record MTB videos properly and since my friend does not ride, he will never make good MTB videos.

What are your opinions on this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    No way. I often do photos of cars on a track, and have never professionally driven. Does it help to understand a few things? Absolutely. But it's photography/videography at its core. I'd argue that guys that know videography well take better videos than riders.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Both those videos are great. I'd say someone focusing on videoing will be able to do a better job than someone with a go pro on their bike. I like the addition of the on bike footage in the second video. I do not think you have to be a mtb rider to make good mtb videos. That's just a ridiculous comment!

Magically Delicious
    Do you have to be a rider to take good MTB video or photos?

NO
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    Mtb photos are a different animal. You can do everything right from a technical perspective (exposure, focus, composition, etc) but if the rider is doing something ackward or uninteresting with their body you'll never get a good shot. A big part of my method is predicting spots on the trail where the rider will be unusually composed on the bike. This gives you a much higher percentage of good shots. So in that sense I think being a rider helps a lot because I can more easily imagine what the rider will be doing to handle a particular piece of trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Familiarity certainly helps, but I would say no you don't need to be a rider. To give a silly example, do you need to be an axe murderer to make a good axe murderer movie?

saddlemeat
    ^Depends, if not a rider the pov will be very naive, as are hollywood axe murders. A real axe murder is not like an axe murder movie. So it depends on the intended audience. Riders will know...
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    ^Depends, if not a rider the pov will be very naive, as are hollywood axe murders. A real axe murder is not like an axe murder movie. So it depends on the intended audience. Riders will know...
    Which actually brings to point that not all riders make good videos. You see a large amount of trail vids which are a POV of entire trail from start to finish of one view. Riders might find it interesting from point of view of seeing trail features, but as an interesting video they fail.
    There are a large number of sports photographer who I'm sure do not actually participate, video too, although for video I would think to get a good feel for what you want to show you do need some intimacy with the subject.

mtbr member
    Again, no.