mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Depth of field indicators

Another thread here got me thinking. Before the digital age I had a couple of SLR cameras and the lenses had markings which indicated the approximate depth of field (DOF) given a focal point and f-stop. It seems that none of the current advanced P&S or pro-sumer DSLRs have this feature. Do the more higher end DSLRs? It seems like an easily implemented feature.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    5dmII do not

loopy counter
    Random bits:
    Many of the canon p&s cameras are hackable. I seem to recall there are scripts you can run on the camera for this. This is not as easy as having it on the lens, obviously.
    I don't know if Magic Lantern for the 7d/5d has this. Investigate.
    I recall the Oly 12mm for m43 has the classic barrel markings.

The dream is a user programmable camera, ala iphone. Manufactures are either working on APIs and interfaces, or are clueless.

Fartographer
    The DOF indicators AKA "hyperfocal guide" are on the lens not on the camera. And the main reason they've disappeared is that they aren't very practical on zoom lenses and especially not on auto focus zooms. Also, point-and-shoot cameras have such small sensors and apertures that they've got virtually unlimited depth-of-field for most photos. So they wouldn't really benefit from having a hyperfocal guide on the lens - not to mention that it's one more thing the camera company would have to pay for.

However, take a look at some of the recent high-end digital rangefinder-style camera lenses and you'll see that they have hyperfocal guides. In fact, the Leica M-rangefinders are pretty much built around that style of shooting. I recently spent a day with the M9 and it was all about hyperfocal and zone focusing. The Fujifilm X100 has a fixed 50mm (equivalent) lens with hyperfocal markings. I've also got a 12mm (24mm equivalent) f/2.0 Olympus Micro Four Thirds prime that has a hyperfocal guide. But you're not going to find them on auto focus digital SLR lenses.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    knobs,
    I am not so interested that I fiddle with software hacks.
    photo-john,
    Yeah, now that I think about it the lenses on my old camera were primes. Still, it seems like it'd be a fairly easily implemented addition to the current graphics on a camera's LCD that indicate a the focal point when using manual focus (like on my canon s95). I am thinking of an additional color/shading on the bar that changes length according to focal point.

Thanks for the info, guys.