Just Ride

Decent point-n-shoot for around $150?

Took my girls camera on a ride a couple days ago it was a Nikon coolpics. So low end to be sure. Anyway I took a fall and the LCD screen on the back is cracked. Still takes pics but next to impossible to know how the pic will look since theres only a small space on the bottom that isn't solid black now.

Thinking under $150 would be nice. Point-n-shoot with decent zoom and 12 million or more mega pixels. Recommendations?
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Check out the Canon 300 HS... it's available at their refurb online store for $130. I just got one and the picture quality is great for a P&S, and everything is very simple and easy to use. It's exactly what I want for something to take when I ride. I typically shoot with a 50D and higher-end lenses, but I don't take those when I MTB.

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Check out the Canon 300 HS
    Second.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Check out the Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ1. It's just a bit over what you are looking to spend but it takes great pictures.
    This model uses the Leica lens and has one of the more wider angled short end of the zoom.
    Which ever camera you do decide to get; don't be too worried about how many megapixel it has. MP is overrated; it comes down to the quality of them.
    Also the camera should feel good in your hands and the navigation of the controls feel good to you too.
    Good luck and happy shooting!

Just Ride
    Thanks for the responses. I'll look into those 2. How do you know if the MPs are quality or not? I'm not new to photography but very new to digital photography. It would be great to buy a nice DLSR but not in the budget. I have a film SLR, which I enjoy taking out time to time. Might sell it actually.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I'll look into those 2. How do you know if the MPs are quality or not?
    This is why it's very tricky. There are certain factors such as sensor size (larger is usually better/pixel count) and the type of sensor being used with the image processor.
    However; if there is point of reference to compare them to, it really doesn't much. Great marketing ;-)
    That's why I say not to worry too much about PnS pixel count unless there is an extensive review on the particular model. Usually that's left for the big DSLR boys.
    I've owned several Nikon Coolpix over the time and I'd say that my wife's Lumix equals if not surpasses Nikons image quality and ease of use. You won't be disappointed.

Just Ride
    Well the coolpix took horrible pictures. I'd get lucky once in awhile. But for the most part I spent more time deleting pictures than saving em.

mtbr member
    Well the coolpix took horrible pictures. I'd get lucky once in awhile. But for the most part I spent more time deleting pictures than saving em.
    Well; I guess with this point of reference; it doesn't speak much for the Panasonic Lumix

The CoolPix I'm currently using is the P7000 and another one that is equivalent to the model S8000 models. These guys take excellent photos. My P7000 is used in my underwater housing for scuba diving and it gives me lots of flexibility.

Anyhow, whichever camera you decide on, hold them and see if they feel good and the buttons and controls make sense to you in regards to location and function. Scroll through the menu listing and try the flash. Bring your own SD memory card and take some shots to compare the images.

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjohn64 View Post
    Well; I guess with this point of reference; it doesn't speak much for the Panasonic Lumix

The CoolPix I'm currently using is the P7000 and another one that is equivalent to the model S8000 models. These guys take excellent photos. My P7000 is used in my underwater housing for scuba diving and it gives me lots of flexibility.

Anyhow, whichever camera you decide on, hold them and see if they feel good and the buttons and controls make sense to you in regards to location and function. Scroll through the menu listing and try the flash. Bring your own SD memory card and take some shots to compare the images.
    Her's was a pink coolpix. So I'm guessing it was your basic very much entry level PnS from back in the day when digital photography first became affordable to the masses. Maybe the new ones are better. Good idea about the my own SD, never would have thought of that!

better than I deserve
    Coolpix is Nikon not the same as the Panasonic lumix.
    I think someone confused the two? I would never buy a Nikon.
    The Panasonic Lumix are great cameras.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roblee View Post
    Coolpix is Nikon not the same as the Panasonic lumix.
    I don't think anyone has confused to two. I don't know why you might think that?

Sounds like you have had a poor experience with your Coolpix too?
    Both Nikon and Panasonic makes great products at a certain level.

better than I deserve
    Originally Posted by Cormac

Guess, I don`t understand your statement then.

mtbr member
    Rob;
    I know what happened now.

I'm guessing the comments going back and for with Cormac and I was miss-read.

It was when I mentioned to him that my wife's Lumix took "equal if not better" photos than the Coolpix I had in the past.

Then he replied back that his Coolpix took horrible photos.

So then I stated that my reference was not a good one if he felt that the Lumix took "equal to if not better" than the Coolpix which in his thoughts took bad photos.

Anyway; the Lumix line of PnS cameras are very nice cameras as I too agree with that.

Sorry for any misunderstanding ;-)

mtbr member
    Check out the Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ1. It's just a bit over what you are looking to spend but it takes great pictures.
    This model uses the Leica lens and has one of the more wider angled short end of the zoom.
    Which ever camera you do decide to get; don't be too worried about how many megapixel it has. MP is overrated; it comes down to the quality of them.
    Also the camera should feel good in your hands and the navigation of the controls feel good to you too.
    Good luck and happy shooting!
    I took to the Lumix pretty easily, and it stills is ticking after five years- that never happens w me and electronics! It was a quick choice at the time for the "Leica" lens, and the 28mm wide angle. I run the menu fast, intuitive, so I can make more adjustments to my liking, on the fly when necessary.

My GF has one, she likes the RAW format choice, and also will do brackets- great for HDR ability for slower subjects. I am not sure of the sensor size, but I find my shots are generally "bright", sharp. Tons of features.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Check out the Canon 300 HS... it's available at their refurb online store for $130. I just got one and the picture quality is great for a P&S, and everything is very simple and easy to use. It's exactly what I want for something to take when I ride. I typically shoot with a 50D and higher-end lenses, but I don't take those when I MTB.
    +1. I have the 310 HS and really like it. Super-small, pretty good low-light sensitivity. I don't have any stills handy/on-line, but here's a video I shot with it:

Road Kill Ride 3-18-2012 - YouTube

I have a larger superzoom, but bought this 'cause I wanted a small camera that I could easily take with me on every ride.

Just Ride
    how do you guys protect your cameras on rides? Since a broken camera is why I started this thread after all. It was in my camelbak when it broke.

mtbr member
    how do you guys protect your cameras on rides? Since a broken camera is why I started this thread after all. It was in my camelbak when it broke.
    I used to ride with an SLR in a chest harness made by Lowepro.
    If I were to shoot with a PnS; I would look at a pouch that has a belt loop styled housing that's small and sized for the camera.
    Lowepro makes great products so my go to brand would be them.
    With the belt loop style; it can then be looped through one of the camelbak's straps to keep it up front. That way it will be in front of you ready to be pulled out without having to remove the camelbak.
    Just my 2.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You can find a nice Canon G9 used for 175-200. Metal body can take some abuse and fantastic image quality even though it is not the newest/latest/greatest. Still very compact. Throw in auto and shoot or take complete control of you shots in full manual.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have a small soft case that fits my P&S perfectly... I keep it on my belt loop when I ride. The 300HS weighs five ounces so I don't even really know it's there.

mtbr member

another Lumix user

We're on our 2nd Lumix which is the already dated model DCM-Z55. Sure do like these cameras!!!

Below is some recent photos that we've taken. Top two were taken "live", of course the guy jumping might be as well. These are using its "sport" mode.

Many more taken with this camera can be seen on the adventure dogs blog. The Trail Mutt Reports

Oh ya, I'll add some work photos at the bottom. Top one of these was again taken "live". For us, these camera's live a pretty rough life and go into the field with me on many days. Nonetheless they'll get beaten and we'll retire them after a few years of our abuse.

Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Decent point-n-shoot for around 0?-ch-swth-top-dl-.jpg  

Decent point-n-shoot for around 0?-ch-gromit-dl-.jpg  

Decent point-n-shoot for around 0?-ch-jump.k-dl-.jpg  

Decent point-n-shoot for around 0?-rhino-operator-view-web-.jpg  

Decent point-n-shoot for around 0?-griiz-gorgre-i-dl-.jpg  

Decent point-n-shoot for around 0?-rhino-snow-depth.ii-dl-.jpg  

Last edited by arly; 06-11-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    Arly a tandem Nerd, Who rides them, loves them, so we sell them. superiortandems.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I would go with samsung

mtbr member
    May 2013
    my point and shoot is a barely used d40 from craigslist. I have a total of $190 wrapped up into it and it works great.....much lighter to carry around for non critical photos then my d300s and 24-70