Digital Toast

Cell phone pic photoshopped

I try to take a lot of photo's now and then on my commute to work. This one's outside the local donut shop. Pic taken by Motorola Droid X, edited in Photoshop CS5. Many layers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cell phone pic photoshopped-dounut.jpg  

Team Fearless Descender
    Nicely done!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

saddlemeat
    Photoshop skills are a lot of fun and very useful. I used CS4 to drawn a set of blueprints for a home I'm planning. I got lots of compliments on the quality of the drawings from the architects and engineers I'm dealing with and it was quicker than learning a blueprint program. Here is my heavily edited PS image contribution...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cell phone pic photoshopped-early-spring-snowstorm-copy.jpg  

A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    bsieb - it kind of looks like a Hopper painting. Is that the look you were going for?

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by miatagal96 View Post
    bsieb - it kind of looks like a Hopper painting. Is that the look you were going for?
    It is a very painterly look, and I'll accept the Hopper comparison with honor. I've been working in this style for quite a few years. This image is from a series called "New Paradigm", and all 12 images are of this same little downtown street. A couple more...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cell phone pic photoshopped-west-coal-sunrise-copy.jpg  

Cell phone pic photoshopped-west-coal-dawn-copy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Really cool effects! I need to learn how to do that.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Really cool effects! I need to learn how to do that.
    Play with Photoshop, ignore the labels on the tools a bit, don't use plugins. I pretty much do the same things I would do if I were painting the scene... develop a tonal sketch, then start applying color. The difference being one medium is additive (photo) and the other subtractive (paint) but that's not huge. In an analog setting I would probably be doing a serigraph or hand coloring over a photo print. I did some very creative hand coloring over BW before digital image processing came on the scene and I see it as a continuation of that approach.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    its pretty easy once you just spend time in the application...but good work with the bike pic man looks great and cool effects

mtbr member
    Photoshop is expensive!

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Photoshop is expensive!
    Photoshop Elements is very good and much less expensive. It has the virtually same image editing tools as Photoshop. For less than the price of a good lens you can really improve the quality of your images, including working with RAW image files. Adobe also offers student versions and periodically has special offers, but it ain't free by a long shot.