mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Carrying DSLR Gear on Bike

I don't know how I missed this forum. I apologize for the cross post but here is a thread I started for my forth-coming fat tire bike: Slightly OT : Photo Bike

Add your thoughts here or in the fat thread.

Rob

Kathleen in AZ
    I can carry either my small Canon T3i or my big 5D in a CliK backpack. The pack has a sleeve for the water bladder and plenty of room in the top compartment for tools, etc. It's a fairly big pack compared to my Camelbak HAWG, but the CliK is comfy and not too heavy. I've tumbled with it and cameras have been fine. Usually tho I leave the full frame at home and just take the cheaper T3i

Clik Elite Compact Sport Backpack (Black) CE706BK B&H Photo

mtbr member
    I use the Peak Pro camera clip.
    https://peakdesignltd.com/store/capturepro

I use a T3i with this. A full-frame camera would be a little bulky. The clip attaches to my Camelbak shoulder strap, in the front. You can remove the camera very quickly. You would not want to use this on any sketchy trails, and do any kind of stunts. You'd risk damaging the camera in a crash. But the advantage of this device is quick access to your DSLR while you're out riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Tomorrow will be my first outing with my Nikon D600. I have a dakine photo bag and I'm only bringing a 50mm 1.8 lens. Depending on how it goes I may bring a wider lens next outing. I don't feel I'll need the 70-200. I have to remember that I'm there to ride first. Would you bring a 70-200?

mtbr member
    I use a daypack that holds my hydration bladder, tools, food and DSLR.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Lund View Post
    Tomorrow will be my first outing with my Nikon D600. I have a dakine photo bag and I'm only bringing a 50mm 1.8 lens. Depending on how it goes I may bring a wider lens next outing. I don't feel I'll need the 70-200. I have to remember that I'm there to ride first. Would you bring a 70-200?
    It depends on what you're going to take pictures of.
    The 70-200 is more of an all-around lens. The 50 1.8 is considered a "fast" lens. With that wide open aperture you can get fast shutter speeds, good for freezing action shots. Or, with a wide open aperture you will achieve shallow depth of field. Good when you want the background of your subject blurred out. And obviously, with the 70-200 you can zoom in for anything that is too far away for the 50.

Just Ride
    If I can get self action shots to work I'll be using my 100mm 2.8 lens. Otherwise I'll probably just take the kit lens when I do ride with the camera. Which won't be often I'm sure. As when I do take the camera, it'll be a photography ride more than anything. I will be using the 100 for photographing the races next summer though!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm planning on a split personality for my new fat bike. I'll ride it hard and not carry a camera at all (other than phone) on some rides. Other rides will be "photo excursion" trips where the ride is only a means to an end. This is where I'll have the camera gear with me and won't be riding hard at all.

I'm leaning towards a Lowepro Slingshot 302AW. Anyone ride with something similar?

Rob

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by _Rob_S_ View Post
    I'm planning on a split personality for my new fat bike. I'll ride it hard and not carry a camera at all (other than phone) on some rides. Other rides will be "photo excursion" trips where the ride is only a means to an end. This is where I'll have the camera gear with me and won't be riding hard at all.

I'm leaning towards a Lowepro Slingshot 302AW. Anyone ride with something similar?

Rob
    The Click Elite mentioned in post #2 might work well depending how much gear you carry. Even if the ride is a shoot you still need your biking gear, water, tools, etc, if you go very far. A bikepacking type pack could also carry some of the extra gear.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I borrowed a Lowepro Photo Sport 200 for a shoot... I've been wanting to buy one ever since. Very light, has a bladder compartment, and I was able to fit my 30D w battery grip, 10-22, and the 70-200. I had to stick my flash in the upper compartment with the miscellaneous stuff, but it didn't seem to be a problem. I was able to stick my tripod onto it as well.

mtbr member
    I have the Lowepro photo sport 200 myself. Works great for carrying the gear I need. Plenty of room for a bigger dslr, several lenses, some flashes, and a tripod. Having the pocket for a water bladder also comes handy. I've used it for several day hikes but not on the bike yet. The only regret I have is not getting the bag in that sweet orange color.
    "The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
    -Douglas Adams

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hmmm, that sport line from Lowepro is very intriguing. From the reviews on Amazon, it looks like a gripped full frame body won't fit with a 70-200 2.8 mounted, though it will take the lens seperately. Anyone have experience with the Photo Sport Pro 30L AW? More room, but of course, bigger and bulkier.

Definitely liking that orange color!

Rob

mtbr member
    Also check out Tamrac packs

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I have a Camelbak Hawg that holds the water bladder in one compartment and I carry my 1D and a 40mm 2.8 pancake lens in a separate compartment with a little foam. Very secure and light setup. More than enough room for a couple extra lenses if it's more of a photo outing. I've used the Camelback for motorcycle trips, daytrips downtown, it's an awesome backpack.

mtbr member
    I have a Osprey Zealot 16 pack which I can fit my 70d without battery grip and a wide angle. If Im going out on a shoot I will rock my fstop tilopia BC bag which is awesome! I love it and the hip straps work very well. I have a feeling Ill be putting in a ton of miles with this pack on my back.
    I like to ride bikes fast.

MTB B'dos
    Not sure about the 30L, but I've got the AW 200 and it's worked great for me, use it only with a normal D700 with 18-105 lens and a flash and then use a 3L bladder and all my other crap. I find I can access the camera very fast and it's so far proven to be quite rugged and takes some abuse - had it since summer last year. If I wanted/needed to take along another lens there's loads of room in the storage compartment for one or even two, depending on how much other stuff you carry. One little FYI, be careful with these packs, with just a body/lens and flash along with all the other stuff and bladder I usually take MTBing it can get VERY heavy very fast - mine loaded out like this weighs somewhere around 35lbs I'd guess. Pic attached of me with mine fully loaded, I'm 6'2" on an XL Prime FYI.
    Hmmm, that sport line from Lowepro is very intriguing. From the reviews on Amazon, it looks like a gripped full frame body won't fit with a 70-200 2.8 mounted, though it will take the lens seperately. Anyone have experience with the Photo Sport Pro 30L AW? More room, but of course, bigger and bulkier.

Definitely liking that orange color!

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carrying DSLR Gear on Bike-dsc_5756_sq.jpg  

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Great photo LyNx! Thanks for your input. I'm nearly as tall and it's good to see the pack in use. So many smaller packs are so short they just don't fit well. Leaning towards this pack, even if it means only carrying the Rebel body.

Rob

MTB B'dos
    No worries, glad to be of some help. One thing to note, or at least for me, all loaded up it's heavy and if you hit a jump, some straps added to go under/around your legs to keep it from lifting up and then lifting you up would be a good idea Hit a jump and found the pack lifting me up even higher, was not a nice feeling.
    Great photo LyNx! Thanks for your input. I'm nearly as tall and it's good to see the pack in use. So many smaller packs are so short they just don't fit well. Leaning towards this pack, even if it means only carrying the Rebel body.

Rob
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics