mtbr member

Canon SX40/SX50 ?

I'm thinking about a new camera. I've had Canon in the past, just a little P&S. I don't think I want to go with a DSLR but maybe something like a Canon SX40 or the newer SX50. Is anyone using one of these cameras or recommend something similar? I know the price of these cameras is almost the cost of an entry level DSLR, so I'm kind of torn over the cost and that I should just go with the DSLR? I plan on taking nature and vacation shots. Any thoughts, advice or recommendations? Thank you

saddlemeat

Re: Canon SX40/SX50 ?

You have to ask yourself how far you want to go with photography. With a dslr you can build on what you have and start collecting lenses.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Digital camera Canon SX50, currently i bought Canon SX50 but i have no snaps. Canon SX40 has a broader ISO range.
    Qualities:

1. 47.0 great image quality
    2. 50x great zoom
    3. 24p movies
    4. 13 fps rapid fire
    5. Flip-out screen
    6. In-camera HDR
    Last edited by Haman03; 01-18-2014 at 01:23 AM.

mtbr member
    You have to think a little about what you are going to use the camera for. The super-zoom cameras have the super-zoom going for them, but not much else. They are bigger than ordinary compact cameras and the image quality is not as good as that of a premium compact and far from that of a DSLR.

I have a mirrorless system, which I like more than my previous Canon EOS 60D system, but in addition I also have a smaller compact camera, which I wouldn't want to be without. You can occasionally find good deals. I recently bought an Olympus XZ-1 premium compact camera for much less than half of the original price now that the XZ-2 model is coming out. (The first pictures are here).

The super-zooms have probably come a long way since I last had a look at them, but for someone possibly getting more serious about photography, I think a small premium compact is a better choice. Such a camera is still of much use even after a DSLR has been purchased.

My two .
    My bike blog: www.yetirides.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    I recently bought an Olympus XZ-1 premium compact camera for much less than half of the original price now that the XZ-2 model is coming out. (The first pictures are here).My two .
    Wow, great Web reviews for the XZ-1.
    The Olympus XZ-1 is selling on-line new for about $399 US. Is the XZ-2 $200 or $300 better? The XZ-2 does have an articulating screen but not sure what else accounts for the significantly higher price for the XZ-2.
    Looks like I might have to give up my search for a camera with a view finder and just go with something like this. It does look perfect.
    I had an Olympus OM-1 back in the day that was a wonderful camera, and because of that I must still be partial to the brand.
    Plus, the XZ-1 one is in my price range.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I purchased the SX50 for a christmas present this last year for my girlfriend. She really likes it. I have not played with it at all thou. I do plan to soon thou.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    Wow, great Web reviews for the XZ-1. Looks like I might have to give up my search for a camera with a view finder and just go with something like this. It does look perfect. Plus, the XZ-1 one is in my price range.
    Looked endlessly, set aside a desire for the viewfinder, got lost in the numbers, models, brands, top 10 comparison charts, fell in lust with the Fuji X10, the Sony RX100, the Olympus XZ 2, had a brief flirtation with a Samsung yada, yada, went to Fry's Electronics and actually held some of these types of cameras (alas, they did not have a good selection), looked through LCD screens and got some sense of how they felt and focused and worked.

Did not get to see an Olympus XZ 1 there, but finally ordered a manufacturer-refurbished XZ 1 on Amazon with a one-year warranty a few minutes ago. This saved enough that I can get the ridiculously expensive but well reviewed Olympus add-on electronic viewfinder in the future. So, ultimately best of both worlds, I hope.
    My main concern is actually holding on to the thing. Olympus does not have a grip pad and the camera body looks slick. Are there after market stick on pads to make the thing grip-ier?

The comments on this forum were very helpful. Pics to follow in a week or two.

saddlemeat
    ^Gaffer tape and a piece of a pencil.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.