mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Cannon GoPro Camera

I have been looking into getting a Cannon GoPro for some mountain biking. They all look the same (models) and the guy at the store had about as much knowledge as I did. So, I am looking for some input or advice about the cameras.

Anyone had one before? Thoughts?

GoPro or something similar?

cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Cannon GoPro? Just research different GoPro's resolutions on youtube, i would say the newest Hero 2 HD is by far the best with more capabilities and bettr clarity.

Snap away bro

Miami, FL
    Depends on what you want to use it for.

I typically carry a Nikon P7000 for its bigger sensor and RAW output option and a GoPro Hero2 for mounting on the handlebars.

Its easier to talk about what the GoPro Hero2 can do as, IMO, it is much more limited:

Great daylight shooting
    Great wet shooting when lens on outer case is treated with Rain-X
    Great FOV due to the wide angle lens
    Very decent still picture photography is possible
    Outer case makes for very creative mounting options and peace of mind lol

Not so good:
    No zoom
    Poor low light resolution, especially with still photos.
    OEM lens case blurs underwater

Some samples, one video, some photos from my Hero2. You can see in the video what happens when I DIDN'T treat the lens with Rain-X lol:

and some photos showing the wide angle. I personally like the wide angle and it fits so much

Dan
    Trek 3500 disc

I married a witch.
    I'm a big fan of the GoPro series. I have the Hero myself, and I use it for all of my "action" video. I mostly use it when flying rc aircraft. I am able to take some interesting videos while flying around. I have recently taken up trail riding, and bought the handlebar mount for my GoPro, and am working on editing together a video from those shots.

It's a small, lightweight, rugged system. Especially if left in it's waterproof case. If you smack it into the ground, chances are you'll only damage the case, which is inexpensively replaced, compared to scratching your lens, or worse, smashing your camera.

You can buy the view screen back as an add on feature. The stock camera does not come with this. I am sometimes tempted to buy one, but I am not shooting "pro" footage with this, that I have to be sure I have the right shot on the first take. I am often just piecing the best parts together later.

One of the other great things about the GoPro system, is the mounting possibilities. You can get the handlebar mount, which is self explanatory. I saw a roll bar mount for a truck, which I think could mount either on your frame, or shocks, for some interesting view points.

You can also mount the go pro to tree limbs, or what I did was buy a 1"x4' wooden dowel, which I sharpened one end. I can drive this into the ground, and have a "tripod"

They also have wrist mounts, chest mounts, helmet mounts, all with quick releases to be able to switch from one to the other with ease.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
    I'm a big fan of the GoPro series. I have the Hero myself, and I use it for all of my "action" video. I mostly use it when flying rc aircraft. I am able to take some interesting videos while flying around. I have recently taken up trail riding, and bought the handlebar mount for my GoPro, and am working on editing together a video from those shots.

It's a small, lightweight, rugged system. Especially if left in it's waterproof case. If you smack it into the ground, chances are you'll only damage the case, which is inexpensively replaced, compared to scratching your lens, or worse, smashing your camera.

You can buy the view screen back as an add on feature. The stock camera does not come with this. I am sometimes tempted to buy one, but I am not shooting "pro" footage with this, that I have to be sure I have the right shot on the first take. I am often just piecing the best parts together later.

One of the other great things about the GoPro system, is the mounting possibilities. You can get the handlebar mount, which is self explanatory. I saw a roll bar mount for a truck, which I think could mount either on your frame, or shocks, for some interesting view points.

You can also mount the go pro to tree limbs, or what I did was buy a 1"x4' wooden dowel, which I sharpened one end. I can drive this into the ground, and have a "tripod"

They also have wrist mounts, chest mounts, helmet mounts, all with quick releases to be able to switch from one to the other with ease.
    They sound awesome, no doubt. Post some videos once you get some good handlebar footage. I have only seen chest mounts for mountain biking. I just need to buy one.

Anyone know if they ever go on sale?

I married a witch.
    You can get some good deals on them. You just have to shop around. Not too long ago, I discovered that my local Best Buy store carries GoPro and most of the accessories. So I don't have to pay shipping.

I married a witch.
    Hmmm, needed ten posts to add a URL link...

So HERE is the video I made from several recent trail adventures, using my GoPro camera.

Trail Riding in Point Washington State Forest - YouTube

I married a witch.
    Excuse the lower quality. I am on dial up here, and to do it at a HD quality it said it would take 7 hours.

As it was, at the compressed (and therefor pixilated) quality, it took over two hours.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey Danpass, what kind of wideangle lens are you shooting with? How much did you pay for yours if you dont mind me asking.... i am in the market for one, have a few ideas for my d3100 but havent pulled the trigger yet.

Miami, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by sworksm3 View Post
    Hey Danpass, what kind of wideangle lens are you shooting with? How much did you pay for yours if you dont mind me asking.... i am in the market for one, have a few ideas for my d3100 but havent pulled the trigger yet.
    that video and those pictures are from the stock Hero2. It is listed as a 170deg field of view.

I didn't realize when I bought it that it had come out only recently but I didn't want to wait either lol. So I believe it was $300 off Amazon for the Hero2 motorsport kit.

I briefly had a D3100 which takes great shots but I wanted some more manual (vs menu driven) controls.

If you're thinking of helmet or frame mounting, an SLR is a bit large for that IMO.
    Dan
    Trek 3500 disc

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hi You all seem to know alot about gopro

How clean does the gopro lens need to be? Before i use my gopro i remove every little spec of dust to the extent where i grab a torch so i can see the dust clearer. is it me being silly or would small specs of dust effect the gopro performance?

Yours sincerely
    Wayne

Miami, FL
    I do similar ..................... but I don't try and burn it off (j/k )

A couple of specs won't show in the video.
    Dan
    Trek 3500 disc

I married a witch.
    Yeah, it all depends on how critical you are of the final product.

By the time I edit mine down, and it's compressed enough that my dial up connection will allow it to upload to youtube in something less than an average work day, you can't hardly see the scratches on my case's lens.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks guys

I just tested it out today the specs im worried about are so small you can't actualy see them other than the odd one or two from the reflection of the sun.
    I guess i'll try and keep it clean just not to the extent i'm going right now!

Enjoy your riding guys!

Thanks for the replys! was good advise!

I married a witch.
    frehgv, go to Walmart, or a camera store, and look for something called a "lenspen".

It has a retractable brush on one side, and a covered cleaning disc on the other. You get the larger dust, debris, and whatever, off with the brush, then you use the disc to remove fingerprints and water marks.

Quantaray Lens Pen Brush - LENLP1 - RitzCamera.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    frehgv, go to Walmart, or a camera store, and look for something called a "lenspen".

It has a retractable brush on one side, and a covered cleaning disc on the other. You get the larger dust, debris, and whatever, off with the brush, then you use the disc to remove fingerprints and water marks.

Quantaray Lens Pen Brush - LENLP1 - RitzCamera.com

Thanks I'll stick to lens cleaning cloth for nowi can't afford alot at the moment lost my job recently.

I'll buy when i get a job though looks like a good little pen!

Thanks for the help!

I married a witch.
    The benefit of the brush, is you don't wipe the dust and dirt into the lens, causing scratches.

You can get some of the same effect by brushing the area to be cleaned, with the cloth, before wiping.

Personally, a $7 investment is worth it to not ruin a $200 dollar camera. These lenses aren't easily replaced.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The benefit of the brush, is you don't wipe the dust and dirt into the lens, causing scratches.

You can get some of the same effect by brushing the area to be cleaned, with the cloth, before wiping.

Personally, a $7 investment is worth it to not ruin a $200 dollar camera. These lenses aren't easily replaced.
    Cant i just use a normal brush?

I married a witch.
    You might find a small fine bristle brush in the cosmetics section cheap.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Yer than ks! There's a makeup brush that's really soft could use that. i only know because i have a sister and a mum! haha i have not used one!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I never found brushes of any use - no way to get them clean enough. First blow off the dust with compressed air, to most of it. Whatever will not come off, use lens cleaning paper wetted with lens cleaning fluid. Use circular motion.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I got a GoPro HD and last week I got a GoPro Hero 2. I also just bought a Sony DSC-HX9V as well for my pictures and external video shots.

In my several years of using the GoPro HD, I have been more than pleased with the performance of the camera - it has been to Colorado 3 times, Utah once, and goes all around the KC area trails and it still running strong.

Looking forward to working with the Hero 2.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.