mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Which camera should I buy

There are a lot of new options for Action cameras (Go pro hero3, Contour +2, Shimano, Sony....) and for me its been a long time since I had the need to even buy a new camera, thus now I am in the market for one. I am trying to do my homework on the best one for MTB but I get lost in all the Tech savy stuff. I am not as tech as I use to be and I'm lost now a days in how far camera technology has come.

Long story short. My budget for camera and accessories is about $500 US. I am doing my research but experience from others may be helpful. I am just looking for the best camera I can get, one that is more user friendly and something I can learn on.

Advice would be very helpful. I am leaning more towards the Contour +2, but haven't been sold one way or another.

Thanks a lot and I appreciate all help.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Hero 3+ Black if you have $500 budget. The mounting options for it are endless.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have a contour and I'm not super happy with it, mostly because of the limited mounting options. Much like buying an iPhone vs any other smart phone, it cost more but you're getting access to a much more robust (and widely available) accessory market.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am in the process of purchasing a camera too. I am leaning towards the Sony HDR-AS100V/W which can be had for around $270.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    He mentioned total budget of $500, so make sure to allot for accessories. You will want extra batteries and lots of memory. An array of mounting kits. I've only had personal experience with GP 2, 3 Silver, 3+ black, and Sony 1st gen. All work pretty well, the 3+ cant be beat for top image quality, but if you're looking more for web video quality stuff it wont matter too much. The number one advantage Sony has is IS, and battery life. They just released a new smaller model, not just a smaller case, but the whole thing is smaller, and is water resistant without an extra case.
    Oh, and the GoPro 4 should be announced any week now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The two new Sony ones, white color one an the mini are only splashproof. Not to be taken into the water without a case.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Wait about another week or two and official info on the GP4 should be out. Leaked info so far that seems legit would be expected is higher frame rates including 4k at 30fps. Touch screen rear LCD on the silver model.
    No mention yet on IS. If GP can incorporate IS and maintain its image quality its going to be pretty much a no brainer that one will be in my near future.
    Upshot of this is you'll prob be able to get GP3's for cheaper.

I ride a Swarf
    yup, its a good time to wait. I would say gopro, I love my 3 black. Even if you don't get the 4 you might get a deal on a 3+ black.

I have the original sony as15 and its form factor is not so versatile as the gopro
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have that Sony too and actually prefer the form factor for a number of mounting locations. It works better on a lot of tubes on the bicycle, like on top tube, along side down tube.
    The GP tends to work better for body mounted locations and for things like seatpost.
    On a pole its a toss up.
    Friend who does ordering of GPs at our LBS couldn't tell me anything aside from whats been leaked already, GP made them sign a form saying they couldn't talk about it. We know its right around the corner though. The shelves are bare of all GP3 stuff, and they cant order any from GP.

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    I have that Sony too and actually prefer the form factor for a number of mounting locations. It works better on a lot of tubes on the bicycle, like on top tube, along side down tube.
    The GP tends to work better for body mounted locations and for things like seatpost.
    On a pole its a toss up.
    Friend who does ordering of GPs at our LBS couldn't tell me anything aside from whats been leaked already, GP made them sign a form saying they couldn't talk about it. We know its right around the corner though. The shelves are bare of all GP3 stuff, and they cant order any from GP.
    I'm interested to know what mounts use for the sony, are your clamping the top tube? Seat post mounted the gopro wins for me, but I used an after market sony mount that allowed the gopro seat clamp to be used, but all that weight hanging forward it flopped and moved on bumps.

Stu

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've used the Ultrapod mini fold up tripod folded up and strapped to tubes with Velcro pump straps and cut up inner tube as padding/grip. It's not as secure as some kind of mechanical clamp system, but its low profile and easy to mount. My friend is usually running it as his bike is aluminum so it has conventional shaped tubes. The rest of us have gone carbon so our tubes are all funky shaped. He's run it along top of top tube between legs and opinting forward, along side downtube opinting forward, or rearward.

I ride a Swarf
    thanks for the info. Cool little tripod.

By the way, the gopro 4 has been announced

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yeah, its a handy little tripod, it came in very handy in one of my first multi angle attempts. They're light and small enough to throw a bunch on your pack. Construction and cheap means not worrying about putting it in dirt, snow, mud, whatever and if it get knocked around, run over, no big deal. Folding it up and using straps I'm able to attach it to bike tubes as mentioned, or tree branches on trail, or poles in bleachers, etc.
    The 4 looks certainly nice, but I'm not going to be working in 4K so I prob wont be going with one soon. Some nice touches with how the interface works.
    I wonder if they improved the remote. The remote is great when it works, but it also drives me nuts as it doesn't work just as much as it does. I have two and they both are pretty flaky.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    My camera is Sony. It is nice.