mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Camera recommendation for around $200?

I'm looking for a camera to replace my lady's aging one. I used to have a fairly decent Nikon D60 which took awesome pictures but it was was way to much of a trouble to bring it around for day to day pictures. So I'm looking for a point and shoot and budget is around $200.

Features I'm looking for...Some sort of burst mode, reasonably fast startup, durability (rugged/waterproof would be nice), and a decent zoom.

Thanks guys!

saddlemeat
    $240 but looks interesting...

Used
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thats a lot to ask for in $200 camera. I would say skip the waterproof + rugged. small camera gives you more room to get it a thicker case = rugged. Yet, when going out to dinner you can leave the rugged case behind.

I like to buyin the sweet spots of the image qualtiy/cost curve, so I highlight two posibilities below.

Waiting for a hot deal like the ones below. top of the line point and shoot.
    either bump your budget $350-400 range and get a s100.
    Canon s100 Black [Newegg] - $356$ w/ FS - Slickdeals.net

or way for a m43 deal like this $200 one. even better than the above, but you lose the zoom range. It has changeable lens system.
    eBay DOD: Olympus Pen E-PL1 Micro 4/3 Digital Camera & 14-42mm Lens Black (refurbished) - $200 w/ free shipping - Slickdeals.net

or $150 new body online +
    Olympus Pen E-PL1 body only $150 (Brand New USA) shipped at Cameta - Slickdeals.net

m43 zoom lens liek this
    Olympus Zuiko 40 mm - 150 mm F/4.0-5.6 runs for $100 online.

Or, a used s90 for $170ish on ebay. I don't recommend this compared to the epl1 deal, its not very good value.

No other point and shoots come close in IQ/$ to the above.