mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Camera/POV Topcap Mount?

I recently received a Contour GPS and have tried several ways of mounting it on my bike. I have tried mounting it on the handlebars, the frame, and seat post; all with various limitations to the field of view and the camera stability. I would like to try to mount the camera on the top cap of the headset, but I don't want the camera to slew with the handlebars. I found this causes a very distracting video clip.

Does anyone know of a mount that replaces the headset top-cap? I am not talking about the ones that are for mounting headlamps. Ideally the mount would be on a bearing with a way to prevent side-to-side slewing and might use a 1/4-20 threaded stud for the camera to mount on?

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggy1 View Post
    I recently received a Contour GPS and have tried several ways of mounting it on my bike. I have tried mounting it on the handlebars, the frame, and seat post; all with various limitations to the field of view and the camera stability. I would like to try to mount the camera on the top cap of the headset, but I don't want the camera to slew with the handlebars. I found this causes a very distracting video clip.

Does anyone know of a mount that replaces the headset top-cap? I am not talking about the ones that are for mounting headlamps. Ideally the mount would be on a bearing with a way to prevent side-to-side slewing and might use a 1/4-20 threaded stud for the camera to mount on?
    Seems like a headtube mount might be simpler, like a longer velcro strap on a helmet mount?
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    You can try a terracycle mount to the head tube:

Utah Trikes - TerraCycle Accessory Mount

You can order with different clamp diameters. I have used them on fork legs for additional light mounting.

mtbr member
    Hi wiggy1;
    I'm not familiar with the Contour mounting interface but I am a McGuyver when it come to camera equipment. I think you are onto something when you are wanting to mount you cam to your top cap. Once the stem is tightened; your top cap becomes nothing more than a decorative cover plate ;-). What I might suggest to you if you don't mind is to 1)-remove the top cap; 2)-find a cheap 3-way head off a tripod (usually the center pivot bolt on the head is a 1/4-20 threaded bolt) and screw that 3-way head onto your stem-caps 1/4-20 steerer nut. That way you will have the control to pan; tilt and yaw your camera as you need to correct the angles of your bike. Now all you have to do is figure out how to mount the contour onto the tripod head.
    I don't know if this was the kind of input that you were looking for; if not.....oh well ;-)).

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjohn64 View Post
    Hi wiggy1;
    I'm not familiar with the Contour mounting interface but I am a McGuyver when it come to camera equipment. I think you are onto something when you are wanting to mount you cam to your top cap. Once the stem is tightened; your top cap becomes nothing more than a decorative cover plate ;-). What I might suggest to you if you don't mind is to 1)-remove the top cap; 2)-find a cheap 3-way head off a tripod (usually the center pivot bolt on the head is a 1/4-20 threaded bolt) and screw that 3-way head onto your stem-caps 1/4-20 steerer nut. That way you will have the control to pan; tilt and yaw your camera as you need to correct the angles of your bike. Now all you have to do is figure out how to mount the contour onto the tripod head.
    I don't know if this was the kind of input that you were looking for; if not.....oh well ;-)).
    I think the OP is looking for a mount that doesn't follow the handlebar movement, but the mental picture of a tripod head as a stem cap is wonderful! Hmmm...
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member

Topeak makes a mount for their iPhone case. I don't see why you couldn't remove the iPhone holder and put a camera mount...
    Last edited by sanjuro; 11-29-2012 at 09:51 PM.