Digital Toast

Camera opinion - Canon G11 and G12

I've found in the last 3 years of riding with a cheap point and shoot that I take over three quarters of my pictures with that camera. I hardly ever use my DSLR(Canon T1i) anymore. So I've decided to switch it up for a little while. I'm looking at giving my DSLR to my father, giving my point'n'shoot to my youngest son and buy either a Canon G11 or G12. Here's my questions -

Who has owned a G11 or G12? How do you like them?

I'm sort of a Canon guy, but what other similar camera's would you recommend in the same size and price range?

Thanks a ton.

Zero

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Get the G12 if the prices are comparable. No, I've never owned either but I do a lot of posting on photography forums and the G12 always gets great reviews. The G11 is probably pretty much the same camera. Do some research here:

Canon Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have a G12. Take it nearly everywhere now when I have room for it (other than my iPhone 4s, which also takes nice images....) Love the articulating screen. Love the access to the controls. I added an aftermarket filter ring and leather hand strap for pulling out of a Revelate gas tank while riding.

No complaints other than it is a little bulkier than some of the new stuff coming out. I really like the S100(??) series by Canon as well. Didn't like a Lumix something that I brought home and returned for the G12.

The G15 looks to be a bit smaller with brighter lens and faster autofocus - but its pretty pricey.

My photo stream:
    Flickr: mbeganyi's Photostream

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    for size and performance, Id suggest looking at the Canon S100. Small enough that you should be able to easily fit it in with your gear

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    If your want manual controls go with the G series. G12 is the latest version. You'll be happy with it with. It has a much better build quality then your rebal and will take a beating and keep on shooting.

Happy photography!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwalsh9152 View Post
    for size and performance, Id suggest looking at the Canon S100. Small enough that you should be able to easily fit it in with your gear
    +1 - I don't know that image quality between the G12 and the S100 makes carrying the G12 on a bike worthwhile. OTOH I notice a huge difference between the S95 I own my T2i at the expense of a much bigger camera.

To my mind the S100 + DSLR is a great combo to have available depending on what you are doing on a particular ride.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    A great little robust camera with manual and raw options! I used to have one but changed it for the EPL-3. In my opinion it was a great upgrade with the lens choice that is available! I liked the Olympus system that much I have now upgraded to the OMD. Here are a few shots captured with the EPL-3.
    Back from Mountain Biking in Chamonix : Jason Chambers Photography

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've owned the G12 and recently upgraded to the G1x. Now wish I had stuck to the G12. Both are bomb proof, the G12 just happens to fit in your pocket. The new G15 looks great but doesn't have the flip out screen that i love. You won't be disappointed with the G12. Where I thought the G1x would have the big advantage is the digic 5 processor and it's larger sensor. I was hoping to have a fast capture rate in .raw with a fast servo auto focus in a point n shoot. So far it hasn't wow'd me but it is the quickest in it's size for now. Fyi I own a 7D and 5dMkIII as well. I don't always want to lug those around.

Plus size jersey model
    myself would go with the S100 as well. It has a wider lens, f2, bigger lcd, and is smaller to carry. I had my S90 forever till it finally took one to many spills and instantly upgraded to the S100. IS there a particular thing on the G series you like the others don't. KR's site might help but he also says he prefers the S100 over the G's Canon G11

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    g12 here.

can't stand kr's site.
    would rather read stuff here: Digital Photography Review

but as with anything - you'll find enough pro and con reviews on everything on that site (much like here...).

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Great camera you wont go wrong!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If budget allow alternatively you can consider G1X. Bigger sensor allow you to take better photo

Dissolved member
    Sony RX100. Before you say blah, do a little bit of googling. Amazing camera in super slim package, IMHO the best camera to take with you on epic rides etc.