Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Camera Bag for Riding

I'm getting back into riding and my sling bag isn't going to be any good... What does everyone else use for riding?
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    May 2013

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Doh, should have said, for a DSLR. After a load more reading I'm looking to get a Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I use a Clik Elite Probody. It has a compartment for an SLR body and lenses, and a separate area for non-camera storage like food and a jacket. There is also a pocket for a hydration bladder. The build quality is very high. It's worth a look before you make an order.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    May 2013

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I like the Think Tank Belt and Holster when I'm hiking...
    Pro Camera Bags, Backpacks, Belts, Beltpacks, Holsters, Accessories

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I use the Clik Elite Compact Sport. Compact Sport | Backpacks | Clik Elite

It holds a compact body with kit lens, and maybe 1 more medium lens and a flash. With that onboard there's a space with enough room for a small first aid kit, some food bars, phone, keys, wallet. There's also a slot for a camel bak bladder. It says its for 2 liters. You can put a full 3 liter bladder in there but it makes the pack pretty turgid.

Loaded, its about as much gear and water as you'd want to carry on a "ride" and should be sufficient for a basic shoot. Probably not enough gear for a "shoot" that you're going to ride to.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by authalic View Post
    I use a Clik Elite Probody. It has a compartment for an SLR body and lenses, and a separate area for non-camera storage like food and a jacket. There is also a pocket for a hydration bladder. The build quality is very high. It's worth a look before you make an order.
    Same here. I also carry a lowpro flipside 300 when I'm carrying 100-400mm lens (with lens hood extended). The Clik Elite is a little small for the longer telephoto lenses but otherwise a perfect bag to MTB with.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the replies folks, the Clik Elite Probody Sport looks good, I'm also looking at a Lowepro Sport 200 AW which is very similar to the Clik and also has space for a bladder too.

Old Fart
    Anybody use one of these? (attaches to your backpack straps).

Keyhole Keyhole Hands-Free Camera Harness (Black) BC-KHBL B&H
    If you say gullible slowly enough it sounds like "oranges"

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubapiper View Post
    Anybody use one of these? (attaches to your backpack straps).

Keyhole Keyhole Hands-Free Camera Harness (Black) BC-KHBL B&H
    I see several problems with this setup while biking. First is that the camera attached to the chest could cause balance problems while riding especially when using a big lens. Second is the potential damage to the camera if by chance one were to fall with the camera attached to one's chest. Last but most importantly if one where to fall with a camera strapped to one's chest the chance of breaking a rib or worse increases exponentially. With a backpack damage to one's body during a fall is actually mitigated by the padding. I would stay clear of that device for mountain bike purposes.

Old Fart
    Thanks for the observations, however, I'm not using a big lens and the DSLR I'm riding with will be a Sony a100 and kit lens. I consider this basically a disposable camera/lens combination. I'm willing to take the chance of damaging me and I want the camera accessible and not in backpack where it's much harder to get to. I'm not trying to be smarmy but what would be really helpful is some real life feedback from someone that has used one of these.
    If you say gullible slowly enough it sounds like "oranges"

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubapiper View Post
    Thanks for the observations, however, I'm not using a big lens and the DSLR I'm riding with will be a Sony a100 and kit lens. I consider this basically a disposable camera/lens combination. I'm willing to take the chance of damaging me and I want the camera accessible and not in backpack where it's much harder to get to. I'm not trying to be smarmy but what would be really helpful is some real life feedback from someone that has used one of these.
    I can certainly understand wanting feedback from someone who's used it, and hopefully you get that, but I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss CupOfJava's observations either. Personally, there's no way I'd ride with something like this, and specifically because a hard fall on my chest could cause even more damage to me than to the camera.
    Don't listen to me. I'm too new to have an opinion yet.

mtbr member
    Glad I found this thread, have been thinking about upgrading to a better bag so I can bring my nikon. If anyone ends up picking up a bag they should post a quick review for us

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    For carrying my 5D3 and/or 1D3 and lenses, strobes, etc....

I have two f-stop bags, the Loka and the Tilopa. Love them both.

I also have the older version of Lowe Pro SlingShot 302 AW. Which I use as well.

It depends on how much "riding" I plan to do versus setting up and staying somewhere for a bit. The f-stops are much more comfortable and don't move on me at all. But you need to take the pack off to get to the camera and gear. The SlingShot does move a bit, but not too bad. So, when it's get ahead of the riders, get the camera, get the shot, then put the camera back, and catch up to the riders, get ahead of the riders......I use the SlingShot. Otherwise it's an f-stop bag.

I am thinking about the Mind Shift Gear Rotation180 though, for ease of access, specifically when snowboarding.
    Ben - Clydesdale - Type II Diabetic - 6'7", ~278lbs in 09/2011 - A1C 9.4%, ~228lbs in 07/2012 - A1C 5.6%, ~240lbs in 05/2013

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I clip my camera to my front straps for the ride up, then pack it w padding in my back pack for the down hill. Works great for the longer climbs. I use an Olympus E-PL5.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've been using my Niko Messenger... Works great!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If you must carry slr gear while skiing, mtb etc., get the Dakine Sequence (link below).

Dakine Backpacks : Sequence 33L

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I got the first & second gen models, pretty good pack. Eventually I went away from SLR when riding, I decided I didn't want to deal with the bulk and weight. Is DaKine still insisting on not making provisions for hydration resivour? They don't want to be held liable for water damage to equipment is what I was told. You can still carry one, but you have to figure it out yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by kinetix9 View Post
    If you must carry slr gear while skiing, mtb etc., get the Dakine Sequence (link below).

Dakine Backpacks : Sequence 33L

Off the back...
    Picked up a Clik Elite Venture 30. It's well thought out, with a very adjustable harness to put all the weight on your hips where it belongs. I have my 7D with 17-55 mounted and the 70-200 2.8 in there. If I wanted to carry more, I'd need to put it in the upper compartment, or unzip the internal divider. I could have picked up a larger pack with room for flashes, remotes, etc., but I don't generally want to haul all that stuff around on a 4-hour ride just to get a few pics.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I use a Kata 3n1 22 for my outings

Haven't taken in onto the trails though

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    This MindShift rotation180 Panorama pack seems like a great system for carrying a DSLR on a mountain bike. The camera stays protected and out of the way in the backpack, but you can rotate the bottom part around to access it quickly without removing the pack.

There's a gif here that shows it in action:
    MindShift Gear Interview on Carryology

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'd be willing to bet that any DSLR will survive most crashes in any padded pack--so long as you dismount the lenses when you pack the camera. I don't even want to think about the leverage on the lens mount if you take a spill with a lens attached!

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh View Post
    This MindShift rotation180 Panorama pack seems like a great system for carrying a DSLR on a mountain bike. The camera stays protected and out of the way in the backpack, but you can rotate the bottom part around to access it quickly without removing the pack.

There's a gif here that shows it in action:
    MindShift Gear Interview on Carryology
    This looks pretty cool if it works. Has anyone tried it?
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    mindshift looks cool but wow it's heavy. If they could get in under 3 pounds I'd be all over it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast