Ich bin ein Knolliner

Better MTB photos

My apologies if is has been posted in another thread. As a rookie MTB shooter, there were some nice tips in here. Nice little photo gallery to boot too

Tips From a Pro: Shoot Better Mountain Bike Photos | Popular Photography

mtbr member
    Nice link, thanks!

Kathleen in AZ
    Thanks for the link! Riders take note and wear clear or light lenses:

"If the location is really drab, consider shooting really tight on the rider and with a shallow depth of field. The emotion and attention in the image is driven by the rider's eyes. The action and the shallow depth of field will help blur distracting elements. This one relies a lot on the rider, though. It works a lot better if they're really shredding."

Here in AZ, everyone is alwasy wearing dark dark glasses. The shots are always so much more interesting when they wear the light lenses and you can see the eyes. What also helps, as Sterl said, is "if they are really shredding."

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Being new in this hobby, but loving photography this link is great to help get me started on the right path
    thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Too bad i only use my phone's camera for pics but great tips.

Domesticfix
    Oct 2012

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Lensbaby

If you're looking to create great action photos consider getting a lensbaby for your DSLR. I know it's very bulky and something you don't carry around when mountain biking but just an idea, The lensbaby has a sharp focal point that creates background movement. I saw this product about 6-7 years ago in a photography convention that I was involved with. It's a little pricey for a unique effect. Go to lensbaby.com.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    lighting in EVERYTHING...you need to be able to read into a good lighting situation...doesn't matter how "nice" of a camera you have

Just Ride
    I took some pictures of a mountain bike race in october My first attempt at such photography. Really none of the pictures tuned out all that well. It was an overcast rainy day and I couldn't get a high enough shutter speed. So most of the pictures were to blurry. Except of course for the slower riders.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks, these are some great tips. Ive just got a new dslr and am very interested in MTB photography. Any help is much appreciated!! thanks!

Ride More, Whine Less
    I like this info. I am a bit taken back by his lenses: a 70-200mm f/2.8, a 24mm, a 50mm, a fisheye, and the 300 f/2.8. This is a serious investment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I like this info. I am a bit taken back by his lenses: a 70-200mm f/2.8, a 24mm, a 50mm, a fisheye, and the 300 f/2.8. This is a serious investment.
    Yep; that's some serious glass. All tools of the trade!