Thread: Bag or Strap?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Bag or Strap?

I recently (4 days ago to be exact) decided to take up bike riding again after many years off the saddle. While there are no trails anywhere near my town (SW Florida area), there are many bald eagle and osprey nests on trees along the streets where I will be riding (also burrowing owl nests on vacant lots). I can get away with a 200mm as they are not too far off.

Current equipment I own:

- Nikon D200 with either 80-200mm 2.8 AF-D or 180mm 2.8 AF-ED.

- Canon T3i with EFS 55-250mm 4/5.6 IS II

- Panasonic G5 with 45-150 4/5.6 Mega OIS

All of my bags are Lowepro shoulder bags in different sizes except for two (Tamrac Expedition 5 back pack and a Lowepro top load holster TLZ 1).

I don't want to spend any money on new bodies or lenses, only on either straps, bags or other carry options.

I truly don't know what the best carry option would be while riding a bike. The back pack idea seems sensible, but I'm going to have to stop, remove the back pack, take the equipment out, etc. By the time I do this I will most likely have missed the shot.

Carrying the camera on a strap doesn't seem too safe, especially if I go with a heavier option like my D200 with 80-200 mm 2.8 on it. The G5 is light enough to go around my neck, but I would have to get a nice neoprene strap for it I'm assuming. Problem is that the IQ of the G5 is nowhere near that of my D200 or T3i.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of strap option for the top load holster bag I have?

Are there any bags that can be mounted on the bike? Would that idea even work?

Suggestions?

p.s. While driving around the neighborhood I have seen ospreys flying around while clutching fishes on the way back to their nests. I would love to capture that image while on my bike.

mtbr member
    A sling bag might work. That way you don't have to take it off and usually it's just one zipper to get to the camera.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Kinda depends on what kind of sacrifice and risks you are willing to take. I used to use a Da Kine Sequence backpack that was not bad. To deploy you stop, undo shoulder straps but leave waist strap on, slide pack around to front, unzip the rear panel and pull camera out.
    I've used a Panasonc GF and GX-1 m4/3 on strap slung over sholder while riding. That I could deploy and shoot even while riding, but only under good conditions. I used to use a PowerShot D10, Canons first waterproof rugged point & shoot for bad conditions and it worked pretty well, but it's IQ is what you would expect.
    I then started using a Nikon AW1 on a single point rifle sling. I can ride with it and deploy while riding under all conditions. It's IQ is not the greatest, better than most P&S but not as good as m4/3, much less large DSLR. It does trump my m4/3 cameras in its AF and fps speed. It still had a tendancy to dangle, bounce around, and get annoying though, even when I used a little strap to tie it to my backpack strap.
    The next thing I did was fit a SpiderHolster Blackwidow to my setup. With that setup the camera was still secured with the single point sling, but I could hook it into the holster on the waistbelt of my pack when not using. You can't get much faster than that.
    However for a DLSR you'll need to use the bigger Spider Pro and with a 200mm lens I don't know if you'd want to ride your bike with that slung on your waist.
    There are handlebar mounted bike bags that might work and should be pretty fast to deploy. A DSLR with 200mm lens might be at the limit of size though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Don'd have any experience with holsters but you might want to check them out. Strap + Holster might be a good setup if you stay on pavement.

NMBP
    I carry my E-M10 and a variety of lenses in a Digital Holster 10 V20, that is attached to a Mind Shift rotation 180° Panorama Pack. The Holster is attached to the pack using the Mind Shift Packpack Connection Kit. On my pack strap I have a Peak Design Capture PRO Camera Clip, which allows me to hang the camera there with the lens pointed down, or when changing the lens, sideways. The camera and lens will fit in the Panorama, but it's faster for me to have it in the Holster, or fastest of all, attached with the Capture PRO.

Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    I carry my E-M10 and a variety of lenses in a Digital Holster 10 V20, that is attached to a Mind Shift rotation 180° Panorama Pack. The Holster is attached to the pack using the Mind Shift Packpack Connection Kit. On my pack strap I have a Peak Design Capture PRO Camera Clip, which allows me to hang the camera there with the lens pointed down, or when changing the lens, sideways. The camera and lens will fit in the Panorama, but it's faster for me to have it in the Holster, or fastest of all, attached with the Capture PRO.

Very nice set up! I have a Lowepro holster about that same size and was thinking about how to attach it. I like the idea of the 4 straps, but I don't want to carry a back pack. Ideally I would like to find some sort of cross-type strap system for the holster bag as carrying in the front as you do would be the best option for me.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikon Fan View Post
    Very nice set up! I have a Lowepro holster about that same size and was thinking about how to attach it. I like the idea of the 4 straps, but I don't want to carry a back pack. Ideally I would like to find some sort of cross-type strap system for the holster bag as carrying in the front as you do would be the best option for me.
    I originally used the Digital Holster with the Digital Holster Harness, but when leaning over my bike, the harness kept pulling forward and hitting the back of my neck, it drove me crazy. By attaching the Holster to the pack, I always have the weight of the pack balancing the weight of the camera.

Good luck finding a solution.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Update:

Today my Kata LighTri 312 DL Sling bag arrived. I'm still trying to figure out how to adjust the straps as it didn't come with any instructions. I have no idea how to use it on my right shoulder. Looks like it was designed to be carried only on the left shoulder.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll take it out on a test ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Test Ride Day:

Today I strapped on the sling bag (more like a torso bag actually) and went for an experimental ride.

The setup worked a bit better than I expected as the bag held in position without moving. I ended up using it attached to the front and up a bit high so as not to interfere with pedaling.

On my 3 mile ride I came across two Ospreys in their nests. One of them posed better for me than the other

I took a small Canon T3i body with two lenses (18-55 and 55-250). It was light enough to ride with and didn't affect my balance at all. I need to practice reaching for my water bottle though.

Here are a couple of pic of my setup and the "trail" (actually more like a long sidewalk, but I did ride a bit on the grass to get that "off road" feel).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bag or Strap?-dsc_7101-smile-s.jpg  

Bag or Strap?-dsc_7101-crop.jpg  

Bag or Strap?-bike-path-s.jpg  

Bag or Strap?-osprey-s.jpg