mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Advice for an amateur with a cheap digital camera

I want to get some pictures of myself while I'm mountain biking, but the only camera I have has a delay after pressing the button and I think it is not good for taking fast moving pictures. I also have an 8mp smartphone camera. What are some of the ways I good get good pictures with these cameras that are not complicated to take and would look impressive. I would love to hear any suggestions. Thanks.

Short-Change-Hero
    First you will need a small tripod, something like the gorilla pod.. There should be a delay timer on your camera somewhere in the settings that you can set to take a picture after XX amount of seconds. Basically you will have to try and time your "path" to pass the camera when that timer goes off. Same goes for your phone camera. Most smartphones have camera apps that you can download (some with fees) that will allow you to do the same.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I don't have a tripod, but I'm going to be with another person who will take photos of me. What can be done to keep me and the bike in focus so a shot can taken of me as I'm cornering for instance? Will it be too difficult to get a good shot of cornering? Should I just try to get a shot where I'm going in one direction? What about going off a small jump or down a steep trail section. What position for the person shooting the picture is best in relation to where the bike is for the various types of shots? Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    do you have budget room to upgrade at all. phones and lower end P&S cameras really don't do well with action type shots. I've had very good luck with my used Canon G10 has a lot of the same abilities of a DSLR with adjustable shutter and aperture. It also works well for action shots. I take it every where with me when i don't take the big DSLR. Its also very tough gotten run over by jeeps twice and still clicking away. I got mine used for like $250.
    Keep access to public lands open.
    http://30daysofbikingerie.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    If you have a friend to take the shot; you're in business.
    Have your friend in the position you want them to shoot from.
    Now; work backwards. By this I mean for you to have an image in your mind as to what you want the shot to look like in that location.
    Then have your friend with the camera Pre-focus at the exact spot where you will ride through. If your camera is a point and shoot one; have them hold the shutter button down halfway so the camera is focused on that spot and hold that button down while you approach that spot on your bike.
    This is where your friend will be panning with you in the frame until you ride into the spot where the camera is already focused on.
    As you ride through that spot; they should complete the depression of the camera shutter release button to get the shot. Now; this is the important part. Your friend should also keep panning after the shot is taken so there is no stoppage of the panning throughout the shooting process.
    Try experimenting with that technique; it will always work once you get the timing right. It helps if you can set the shutter speed to vary the look of the final image.
    Have fun!

2006 Yeti AS-X
    It is very rough to get an action shot if you are by yourself - 10 seconds is what most cameras give you and you have to run like heck, get on the bike, and get in the shot all in that time.. Be nice if a manufacturer would make on that would continue to take shots 10 per second until you pressed the shutter would make life alot easier.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

I married a witch.
    If you have or can get your hands on a camera that takes good quality, or even better, HD video, just leave it recording and then do screen captures after the fact.

Some cameras will take continuous shutter images if you click the button, others will do it as long as the shutter button is depressed.
    Be respectful to the disrespectful, wise to the unwise, caring to the uncaring, courteous to the uncourteous.
    My Riding Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjohn64 View Post
    If you have a friend to take the shot; you're in business.
    Have your friend in the position you want them to shoot from.
    Now; work backwards. By this I mean for you to have an image in your mind as to what you want the shot to look like in that location.
    Then have your friend with the camera Pre-focus at the exact spot where you will ride through. If your camera is a point and shoot one; have them hold the shutter button down halfway so the camera is focused on that spot and hold that button down while you approach that spot on your bike.
    This is where your friend will be panning with you in the frame until you ride into the spot where the camera is already focused on.
    As you ride through that spot; they should complete the depression of the camera shutter release button to get the shot. Now; this is the important part. Your friend should also keep panning after the shot is taken so there is no stoppage of the panning throughout the shooting process.
    Try experimenting with that technique; it will always work once you get the timing right. It helps if you can set the shutter speed to vary the look of the final image.
    Have fun!
    X2
    I used the panning technique to get action shots of my kids when they were riding dirt bikes. Since then I've moved up to my DSLR= No shutter lag