Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

3D bicycle and frame design

Hi,

this is Carlos from Spain.

My first post in this forum is to show you my 3D computer designs of frames and bicycles.

First of all, sorry for my poor English, Iīm improving but I know that I have to study a lot.

Now, Iīm going to tell you how I started using my computer to design bicycles.

Since I was a child, I like drawing (dead people, cars, animals, landscapes...), then, I started my studies of engeneering and I learn how to use Autocad in 2D.

As I like bicycles, I started learning 3D modelling in Autocad by my own, and these are my designs from those days:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-collage_render.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-wallpaperfixie.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-bielas2.jpg  

mtbr member
    As you can see, they are not very real, but I was proud of them.

The suspension frame is inspired in a hardtail frame: the Amaro Vitti.

I was noticed that the Autocad was not the best program for bicycle designing but I had not to much time to learn how to use a new program and I continued with Autocad.

My next project was a Hardtail 29er carbon frame:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-prueba8.jpeg  

3D bicycle and frame design-prueba9.jpeg  

3D bicycle and frame design-prueba10.jpeg  

mtbr member
    Well, I hope this post is not just to show my designs but that it becomes a corner where anyone who wants to put their drawings.

I will continue posting my other designs.

Greetings to all.

mtbr member
    Well,

I know that my first works donīnt look great, so I tried to improve using Autocad, and doing more detailed projects.

The next projects were a long travel hardtail and a marathon frame (120 mm rear wheel travel).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-enduro-r%EDgida4.jpeg  

3D bicycle and frame design-titanio11.jpeg  

mtbr member
    After those renders, I liked something better and I started doing some scenarios and playing with lights but still using Autocad 2010.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-expo2.jpeg  

mtbr member
    You can see the difference between the two renders of the marathon frame.

First of all, the materials become more realistic and if you watch closer, I had changed the rear triangle of the frame.

I made a mistake with the measurements and I had to modify some parts, and I think that it looks better now.

mtbr member
    The next project was an enduro carbon frame using more complex surfaces in the tube set.

It uses a similar suspension system than they use in the Cube Sting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-enduro15.jpeg  

mtbr member
    And here, you can see some of my projects together.

- Two fixed with the same frame but different decoration.
    - 29er carbon frame.
    - Titanium marathon frame (120 mm wheel travel).
    - Carbon enduro frame (150 mm wheel travel).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-exposici%F3n3.1.jpg  

KPH
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hi there

Cool work and designs especially the Enduro Carbon suspension frame- I use AutoCAD for work and in my spare time I have tried to draw my Yeti 575 but gave up as I had too much difficulty tryin to get it to look realisitic.

If it is not too difficult, I would be gratefull if you could answer the following:
    Q1. How did you do the curves and the changing tube profile on the top tube of the Carbon 29er ? (ie what commands etc)
    Q2. What shademode and colours (or renders/materials??) is you use for the Carbon 29er ?
    Q3. What computer and specs do you have.

Cheers, and hope you can answer - and by the way, Yes, you spend too much time at your computer !!!

KPH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KPH
    Hi there

Cool work and designs especially the Enduro Carbon suspension frame- I use AutoCAD for work and in my spare time I have tried to draw my Yeti 575 but gave up as I had too much difficulty tryin to get it to look realisitic.

If it is not too difficult, I would be gratefull if you could answer the following:
    Q1. How did you do the curves and the changing tube profile on the top tube of the Carbon 29er ? (ie what commands etc)
    Q2. What shademode and colours (or renders/materials??) is you use for the Carbon 29er ?
    Q3. What computer and specs do you have.

Cheers, and hope you can answer - and by the way, Yes, you spend too much time at your computer !!!

KPH
    Thank you. I know that Autocad is not the best program to do these designs but I previously knew the program and that was the reason.

Now, the answers to your questions:

A1. What I do is drawing the "path" as a single line (straight or curve) and the, I do the sections, for example, I can start with a circle and finish with a square, and then I use the "rulesurf" to generate the solid.
    A2. I canīt help you because at this moment Iīm not using Autocad for 3D modelling and I donīt remember everything.
    A3. Iīm using a HP g62 (intel i3, 4 Gb Ram...), but for my first designs I used an Acer with an AMD Athlon...

If you need it I can review my Autocad files to tell you the setup of some projects.

Greetings.

mtbr member
    The last project I did using Autocad was a fixie bicycle.

In this project I worked slowly doing more details and I think that the result is good.

After that, I started using a new program, but this is another story, hahaha.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-render-f25.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-render-f32.jpeg  

3D bicycle and frame design-render-f30.jpeg  

mtbr member
    After this project, I had a problem with my computer and I had to stop my learning process for a few weeks until I bought a new computer.

Due to my studies, I needed another laptop and I chose a 15,4 " LED screen HP, which is powerfull enough for me and not very expensive.

When I started to install my programs, I thought that it could be nice if I could learn how to use a better 3d design program.

And I got two of them: Solidworks and Rhinoceros.

I needed Solidworks for my graduation project in The Netherlands, but I had no time to learn how to design a 3D bicycle frame with it so Rhinoceros is the solution: easier, similar to Autocad, good results...

And I started doing my virtual machineshop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-mesa5.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-mesa1.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-mesa2.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-mesatrabajo2.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have to say that the computer and the sound system are not my work, I have downloaded them from this interesting site:

http://www.flyingarchitecture.com/

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    Good job, computer animation and modeling take a lot of time and artistic talent. Real nice renderings and I like the geometry. Good luck, keep at it and save a portfolio of everything so you have something to show when opportunity knocks...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpride
    Good job, computer animation and modeling take a lot of time and artistic talent. Real nice renderings and I like the geometry. Good luck, keep at it and save a portfolio of everything so you have something to show when opportunity knocks...
    Thank you.

Iīm finishing my studies in electronic engineering but I would like also working with 3D modelling, of course with bicycles.

Greetings from Spain.

mtbr member
    hey a program you might like to use is Inventor 2010. its made by autodesk (same people that make autocad) i think you might find it easier to work with. i've used alot of drafting programs. (i'm in school to be a draftsman) anything from AutoCAD 2D 2010, AutoCAD 3D 2010, Inventor 2010, 3ds Max, Revit Architecture 2010, Civil 3D 2010, AutoCAD Architecture 2010 and 2007or 08. and outta all those programs i think you'll like Inventor the most. i haven't taken solidworks yet but i'm taking it next semester. also a program you might like is Google Sketchup. its free from google and really easy to use. it also lets you bring AutoCAD drawings into it so it might be a quicker and easier way to make a showroom for your bikes.

mtbr member
    Those are really cool, is it hard to model the threads on the fixie cog?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman748
    hey a program you might like to use is Inventor 2010. its made by autodesk (same people that make autocad) i think you might find it easier to work with. i've used alot of drafting programs. (i'm in school to be a draftsman) anything from AutoCAD 2D 2010, AutoCAD 3D 2010, Inventor 2010, 3ds Max, Revit Architecture 2010, Civil 3D 2010, AutoCAD Architecture 2010 and 2007or 08. and outta all those programs i think you'll like Inventor the most. i haven't taken solidworks yet but i'm taking it next semester. also a program you might like is Google Sketchup. its free from google and really easy to use. it also lets you bring AutoCAD drawings into it so it might be a quicker and easier way to make a showroom for your bikes.
    Hey, thank you for the message.

I havenīt tried the Inventor, but I would like to do it, maybe next month or so I could install it and give it a try.

For the moment, Iīm happy with Rhinoceros and I want to learn more about the Solid Works.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbotron
    Those are really cool, is it hard to model the threads on the fixie cog?
    Itīs quite simple, but you have to know how to do it.

Itīs an helicoil with some thickness, and you only need to substract it from the hub.

Greetings.

mtbr member
    Well, as I told you, I started using Rhinoceros, and my first project was an urban bicycle.

This is the frame without the dropouts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-cuadro11.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-cuadro12.jpg  

Framebuilder
    You're making some great looking renditions of frames, but I have to ask, what's the point? Just to play with the program or are you planning on building some of these?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Live Wire
    You're making some great looking renditions of frames, but I have to ask, what's the point? Just to play with the program or are you planning on building some of these?
    Well, at first, it was only for fun, because I like drawing and I like bikes, so I started doing frames with Autocad, but know, Iīm collaborating with a frame builder from my place to get some renders of the frames before welding them in order to show to the customers what they are paying for.

I would like to design my own frame, and know, I have the chance to do it, but I have to pay this guy for it. The good thing is that I will get a good price.

mtbr member
    In this project, I started doing some components separately from the main project, so I can use them in other bicycles.

For example, here you hace a stem and a rear hub (not finished).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-potencia2.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-buje5.jpg  

mtbr member
    And here, you can see the (almost but never) finished bicycle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-escena41.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-escena37.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice work! I don't care if there's a point or not. The point is you're doing what you enjoy.

If you set up the drawing, you could offer your service to builders. Customers go crazy over digital renderings, and builders can use the raw data for the construction...
    I am ByStickel
    ByStickel Facebook Please take a look.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast