Aug 2009
    te superas dia a dia compaero

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman13 View Post
    te superas dia a dia compaero
    Thanks, dude!

Im trying to improve every day.

mtbr member
    Hi, I have almost finished the new frame and fork, so the next step is modelling the componentes.

If you hace any suggestion about the frame or the componets...

Im also posting a side view image to show you the tight geometry of the frame.

I hope you like it.

Cheers!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-bike1.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-bike2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Im starting now with the components, but I think Im going to model the 3T Scatto, because this Sphinx is a bit too weird.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-3tcycling2.jpg  

mtbr member
    3T Scatto ready!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-3tscatto.jpg  

mtbr member
    Almost finished.

Im going to model a new saddle because the saddles I already have dont fit this bike.

And the components from 3T have their new decoration.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-3tcycling3.jpg  

Nemophilist
    Hey;

More nice stuff! I'm curious if you have made a conscious decision to go for a low gloss, "soft light" look, as opposed to a dripping, glossy, wet look, or is that a function of the particular software?
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Hey;

More nice stuff! I'm curious if you have made a conscious decision to go for a low gloss, "soft light" look, as opposed to a dripping, glossy, wet look, or is that a function of the particular software?
    I could go for a more glossy look, but Im using the same "material" in other components, and due to my laptop I would like to keep low the number of materials in the scene.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Import/export

Quote Originally Posted by snowman748 View Post
    hey a program you might like to use is Inventor 2010. its made by autodesk (same people that make autocad) i think you might find it easier to work with. i've used alot of drafting programs. (i'm in school to be a draftsman) anything from AutoCAD 2D 2010, AutoCAD 3D 2010, Inventor 2010, 3ds Max, Revit Architecture 2010, Civil 3D 2010, AutoCAD Architecture 2010 and 2007or 08. and outta all those programs i think you'll like Inventor the most. i haven't taken solidworks yet but i'm taking it next semester. also a program you might like is Google Sketchup. its free from google and really easy to use. it also lets you bring AutoCAD drawings into it so it might be a quicker and easier way to make a showroom for your bikes.
    Can you import/export from Inventor to 3D Max and viceversa? I tried to do that from Solidwork to Max but does't looks good at all. W

mtbr member
    Well, I have just finished the bike.

First, the bike check:

- Frame: Columbus Airplane.
    - Fork: ENVE track fork.
    - Wheelset: Mavic Ellipse.
    - Crankset: Sugino 75.
    - BB: Sugino 75.
    - Chainring: Sugino Zen 52 T.
    - Cog: Euroasia Imports 16T.
    - Chain: Izumi.
    - Seatpost collar: Thomson.
    - Seatpost: 3T Dorico Team.
    - Saddle: San Marco Concor Racing.
    - Stem: 3T ARX LTD.
    - Handlebar: 3T Scatto.
    - Pedals: MKS RX1.

Here you have the pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-dirty1.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-dirty2.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-dirty3.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-dirty5.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-dirty7.jpg  

mtbr member
    Here is the Red Hook Crit SE:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-redhook1.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-redhook2.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-redhook3.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-redhook4.jpg  

650b me
    Your solid modeling skills are fantastic! Really great stuff here. You have a great skill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    Your solid modeling skills are fantastic! Really great stuff here. You have a great skill.
    Im glad you like it. Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    While I model a new bicycle, Im trying something new.

Im modifying my previous bike so it looks used and abused in the streets.

Here you have the before and the after:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-bikenew.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-bike4.jpg  

Last edited by charlichin; 04-17-2012 at 12:52 PM.

mtbr member
    I have just realized that last time I didnt upload the images, so there you have them (above).

On the other hand, I modelled a newer version of the Dirty Track with HED wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-hed1.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-hed2.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-hed3.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-hed4.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-hed5.jpg  

mtbr member
    And another work in progress:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-frame1.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-3trotundo.jpg  

nothing relevant to say
    Hey Charlie, I posted the Dirty bikes in my local riding forum and they took the bait and think they are real, not just drawing! So, good work! You've fooled some fools with your CAD skills! They were able to notice the lack of valve stems, but they are wondering why "the valve stems were photoshopped out?"
    Great renderings!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube View Post
    Hey Charlie, I posted the Dirty bikes in my local riding forum and they took the bait and think they are real, not just drawing! So, good work! You've fooled some fools with your CAD skills! They were able to notice the lack of valve stems, but they are wondering why "the valve stems were photoshopped out?"
    Great renderings!!!
    Its nice and funny at the same time to hear about that.

It means that Im improving in my modelling skills.

Thanks!!!

Dive Bomber

Wield modeling I done.

Here's the tutorial:
    3D maya wield modeling tutorial - YouTube

BTW if you have photo lighting studio like HDRI just lt me know.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackspade View Post

Wield modeling I done.

Here's the tutorial:
    3D maya wield modeling tutorial - YouTube

BTW if you have photo lighting studio like HDRI just lt me know.

Cheers.
    Nice! I was thinking in doing something like that with Rhino.

Ill watch the video and adapt it to Rhino.

Cheers!

Nemophilist
    Apparently...

... It's not any easier to TIG weld with a mouse or keystroke than it is with a torch!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.

mtbr member
    Trying something different this time:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aXFZN-XuYKU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rubyluise View Post
    I started my own drawing for good designs. I think you all are provide very unique design for the model .But, the most important thing is that how can builders are fulfill our expectations to make such a wonderful model that can attracted by everyone. Can anyone suggest me those ideas that make model more fascinating.
    I think the most importan thing in a frame design is the geometry.

You have to decide what use is the bike intended for, and then adjust the geometry to this use.

The material is very important too, depending on the use.

After this, you have to choose between the market options for headtube (traditional, semi, integrated, tappered...), bottom bracket (English, BB30, PF...), dropouts...

And then, you can make the difference putting some personal details in the building and the paintjob.

Its a very complex and long process, but if you do it well from the beginning, you can get a good design.

mtbr member
    Although a friend of mine is going to help me editting the video, this is what I made with Movie Maker.

I hope you like it.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XDL9J5Iu5_c?version=3&amp;hl=es_ES"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XDL9J5Iu5_c?version=3&amp;hl=es_ES" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    Im using different light and camera settings to get more realistic renders. Ive also modifyed the track bike, with new bars, grips and paintjob.

Cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-greenhornet1.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-greenhornet2.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-greenhornet3.jpg  

mtbr member
    This is part of the new project. Im going to use some components I have already modelled, but I want first to finish the frame with the rear end, shock and transmision.

Then I will start with the assembly.

Im also attaching another render of the Green Hornet in a different scenario.

Kind regards,

Charlie War.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-cuadro3.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-greenhornet4.jpg  

Nemophilist
    Ahhh...

That last one is a real winner. I always enjoy a lot of contrast - created by using light to illustrate dark, and vice-versa - and this one really makes the bike and the very effective new lighting effects pop.

Oddly enough, I think one little detail that would make it look even more realistic... is a simple prop stand!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by charlichin View Post
    This is part of the new project. Im going to use some components I have already modelled, but I want first to finish the frame with the rear end, shock and transmision.
    Then I will start with the assembly.
    Im also attaching another render of the Green Hornet in a different scenario.
    Kind regards,
    Charlie War.

Most stylish gearbox frame around a PINION P1.18 unit for now!
    Yummie ...

mtbr member
    Ahhh...

That last one is a real winner. I always enjoy a lot of contrast - created by using light to illustrate dark, and vice-versa - and this one really makes the bike and the very effective new lighting effects pop.

Oddly enough, I think one little detail that would make it look even more realistic... is a simple prop stand!
    Thank you! Im quite happy with this render. I think it looks very realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm6 View Post
    Most stylish gearbox frame around a PINION P1.18 unit for now!
    Yummie ...
    Thank you! I have a lot of work before finishing it, but so far it looks good.

Nemophilist
    Hey;

I think you will find that it is the aspects that I mentioned that make it look that way. Of course, the bike taken by itself is quite nice. However, when the background is flat, diffuse, and lacking visual depth, the subject will as well, as a reflection of that. It is a bit contrary, but the background needs to have some interest in order for the subject to feel real. While your background does not necessarily look specifically like anything in particular, it does provide a tremendous amount of depth and perspective, as well as contrast. That latter word is the most important concept to master in the artistic realm.
    Last edited by TrailMaker; 06-14-2012 at 05:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Hey;

I think you will find that it is the aspects that I mentioned that make it look that way. Of course, the bike taken by itself is quite nice. However, when the background is flat, diffuse, and lacking visual depth, the subject will as well, as a reflection of that. It is a bit contrary, but the background needs to have some interest in order for the subject to feel real. While your background does not necessarily look specifically like anything in particular, it does provide a tremendous amount of depth and perspective, as well as contrast. That latter word is the most important concept to master in the artistic realm.
    Thank you for your advice but I dont understand exactly what you mean.

The last render I posted, do you think its OK or not?

I think I have a lot to learn about lights and backgrounds in order to get more realistic pics, but since Im not following any course (neither in the past) Im using a try/fail system.

Im reading some info related with rendering, but its difficult sometimes to understand everything I read...

Thanks again for your help.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know who did this work of art?
    San Andreas 3.0? in SolidWorks

Nemophilist
    Thank you for your advice but I dont understand exactly what you mean. The last render I posted, do you think its OK or not?
    Yes;

I like it very much. This is just my opinion, but I feel the dark background makes the bright green bike pop extremely well. I personally like dark and dramatic images because of a certain amount of mystery that they create. I also like strong contrast in shapes, and so there must also be light to create that contrast. I think you achieved that very well with this rendering.

Having said that, I also like the Mountain Cycle rendering linked here as well. I'm not sure what aspect makes it look so crisp, since it does not have the same dramatic interplay between light and dark as I have just described. Perhaps it is that the subject itself provides the drama with its lavish design, where a relatively simple design like your road bike does not?

I hope this makes more sense. In the end you will get a lot of different opinions because these things are very subjective.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Does anyone know who did this work of art?
    San Andreas 3.0? in SolidWorks
    Somebody has gone before us. Its a pity.

But its really cool. I like it. And apparently its coming from The Netherlands too.

Yes;

I like it very much. This is just my opinion, but I feel the dark background makes the bright green bike pop extremely well. I personally like dark and dramatic images because of a certain amount of mystery that they create. I also like strong contrast in shapes, and so there must also be light to create that contrast. I think you achieved that very well with this rendering.

Having said that, I also like the Mountain Cycle rendering linked here as well. I'm not sure what aspect makes it look so crisp, since it does not have the same dramatic interplay between light and dark as I have just described. Perhaps it is that the subject itself provides the drama with its lavish design, where a relatively simple design like your road bike does not?

I hope this makes more sense. In the end you will get a lot of different opinions because these things are very subjective.
    Thank you, Now its much more clear.

P.S.:

Im not convinced with my last design (the FS frame) and Im planning to do some modification. Any idea?

I dont know what to do: either I do it simpler (straight tubes) either I do a hydro-formed aluminium frame.

What do you think?

Nemophilist
    P.S.: Im not convinced with my last design (the FS frame) and Im planning to do some modification. Any idea? I dont know what to do: either I do it simpler (straight tubes) either I do a hydro-formed aluminium frame.

What do you think?
    Hey;

Well, for what my opinion is worth, I like the basics. It has a nice symmetry to it. I'm not sure what the round "button" is on the ST brace. Is it supposed to be on that tube, because that's where it looks like it is. The only thing I do not like is the shock mount tabs. They look clunky compared to the flowing lines of the tubes. Some playing around there for a more artistic solution might yield surprising results.

Perhaps playing around with a larger diameter and/or more tapered DT would change the character. The slight angularity of the bends makes me think freeride. Longer radius bends would make me think trail. A bigger DT with even tighter bends would make me think downhill.

Of course, the sky is the limit, and I'm not sure what type of bike you were looking for. I like the basic concept, and see no reason not to push it further along.

mtbr member
    Hey;

Well, for what my opinion is worth, I like the basics. It has a nice symmetry to it. I'm not sure what the round "button" is on the ST brace. Is it supposed to be on that tube, because that's where it looks like it is. The only thing I do not like is the shock mount tabs. They look clunky compared to the flowing lines of the tubes. Some playing around there for a more artistic solution might yield surprising results.

Perhaps playing around with a larger diameter and/or more tapered DT would change the character. The slight angularity of the bends makes me think freeride. Longer radius bends would make me think trail. A bigger DT with even tighter bends would make me think downhill.

Of course, the sky is the limit, and I'm not sure what type of bike you were looking for. I like the basic concept, and see no reason not to push it further along.
    Thank you for your comments.

I know the pic Ive posted gives no many clues about the result Id like to get, so let me explain:

The idea is a 29er trail bike with 130-140 mm of rear travel and a 140 mm fork travel, using the Pinion cage as the core of the frame.

The geometry is decided, but I think I can improve the suspension system and the tubing to get a more stylish frame.

When I have time Im going to design a new prototype with some ideas I have.

mtbr member
    Well, here you have the new version of the frame. Softer bends and new suspension design.

It has 130 mm rear travel.

I think its much better now, and it was just changing two tubes and the ST brace.

What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-frame1.jpg  

Nemophilist
    Well;

I like them both. It depends on what look you are trying for. The first one is techy, edgy, more daring, like a freeride or DH bike. The latter is softer, less aggressive, more artsy. I like the interesting suspension mounts on the new one, but I dislike the straight ST brace. It needs some gentle curvature to match the flow of the other tubes to my eye. The old one would look really cool with some really long travel suspension and perhaps even an E-stay rear end. The new one would look nice with a continuation of the curved theme in the rear triangle.

The sky is the limit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-carlichinframes.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks, TrailMaker for the comments, they are very useful.

Just to check the frame lines Ive modelled a provisional rear end (simple tubes) and I think its quite fluid.

Comments???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-frame2.jpg  

Nemophilist
    Very handsome;

A normal inclination with stylish curved front tubes is to carry that rearward, but it's not
    easy to match that curvature in the rear. You have only two choices to make it look good.
    You either match the arc exactly, or you do something completely different and don't try to
    follow the same lines at all. If you try and match the arc of front tubes in your seat stays
    and miss even by a little bit, it LOOKS like you missed. This is worse than if you do
    something totally different. The compound curvature of stays makes that continuation very
    difficult to achieve.

The pic above shows a broken girls Columbia cruiser frame I salvaged and modified. You
    can see that I was able to match the curvature of the top tube very successfully to the rear
    stays. It looks like it was always that way! Interestingly, trying to use the same arc for the
    lower top tube was a total failure. It needed more arc to sit parallel to the top tube at the
    seat tube junction, but diverge off to a far different location. I spent a fair bit of time
    twiddling with this design on the computer, even being a pretty simple project. These are
    the little discoveries that are counter intuitive and interesting, and make design such a
    challenge.

You have taken the angle of the end of the TT at the ST junction and matched & continued
    it very well with a straight SS. It's a very appealing look. I would not give up on the previous
    design though. It has potential of a completely different style.

mtbr member
    Actually the seatstays have a very soft curve to match the TT but the radius is quite bigger than there, because, as you said in your comment, with the "s" shape of the SS, it could be difficult to do it perfect and it would just look fine in a perfect side view.

Im going to leave the previous design in the "fridge" for a long travel 29er. But after this one, I have a couple of designs in the queue.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    While I finish the rear end, here you have the main frame already painted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-cuadro8.jpg  

Nemophilist
    Try something;

Put a radius on the seat tube brace, similar to the radius of the top tube. however, instead of doing the expected, try radiusing it UPWARD, not downward.

Always try the unexpected. Sometimes, it works!

mtbr member
    Try something;

Put a radius on the seat tube brace, similar to the radius of the top tube. however, instead of doing the expected, try radiusing it UPWARD, not downward.

Always try the unexpected. Sometimes, it works!
    It does have radius, but this is quite big, so maybe I could try with a smaller one.

Thanks again for the inputs.

mtbr member
    Its been a while since I dont model any bike (the FS frame is in standby), but Im starting over.

For the moment, I have half of a light track wheelset. The front wheel:

- Mack Superlight Track hub.
    - Enve 1.25 tubular carbon rim.
    - Sapim Aero spokes.

It weights around 412 grams.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-hub1.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-wheel1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Wheelset almost finished. Now the crankset...

They (would) weight around 2 lbs (912 grams), without tubulars and cogs. So in the light side for a track wheelset.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-hub2.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-wheel2.jpg  

Nemophilist
    Hey;

That stuff is amazing. The hubs look like photos. The only thing that doesn't quite work in the objects is the "straight lines" on the rim edge between spokes in some areas. I have no idea whether the operator can change that, or if it is just a limitation of the software. I do know I wish I could do that. Really impressive.

mtbr member
    Hey;

That stuff is amazing. The hubs look like photos. The only thing that doesn't quite work in the objects is the "straight lines" on the rim edge between spokes in some areas. I have no idea whether the operator can change that, or if it is just a limitation of the software. I do know I wish I could do that. Really impressive.
    Thanks!

Those "straight lines" sometimes appear when I model the rims, and its quite annoying.

I dont know what the problem is, but I guess its related with the SW and my laptop.

mtbr member
    The problem with the segmented rim is already solved. It was a Rhino setting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-wheel3.jpg  

Nemophilist
    Funny how fixing the rim caused a flat.

Glad I could help with your Rhino problem.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast