Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn
    I try, but usually fail. I'm buyin' you dinner some day for being such a good sport.
    Get me a bag of Jack Link's beef jerky and we'll call it even.

Look at me fall for this stupid sh*t

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SYOcLd2wnDw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    That's hilerious!

Ok, PM me your addy.

Click the mountain bike one at the end of the one you posted, it's funny.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn
    That's hilerious!

Ok, PM me your addy.

Click the mountain bike one at the end of the one you posted, it's funny.
    Oh man that one's hilarious I didn't even see it. I remember it on tv though, it was one of the first commercials years ago. And man, I was just kidding. I don't need you to send me anything (I would appreciate a steel 29'er SS 22" frame, though), I enjoy the funny remarks. Check out the thread I started on where people's names come from. You'll learn a bit more about the name

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS
    Oh man that one's hilarious I didn't even see it. I remember it on tv though, it was one of the first commercials years ago. And man, I was just kidding. I don't need you to send me anything (I would appreciate a steel 29'er SS 22" frame, though), I enjoy the funny remarks. Check out the thread I started on where people's names come from. You'll learn a bit more about the name
    I didn't know there were so many of those commercials. Yeah I read that thread, pretty funny.

Just so you know, I only give people a hard time that I like, respect, admire or look up to. everyone else, I just tell to eff off.

mtbr member
    Thats a really funny TV add.

BTW, talking about 3D modelling, here you have the fourth frame I have modelled for XCLUSIVE.

Its a mini-velo for 20" wheels, horizontal dropouts, S&S couplers, gates belt ready, integrated seat clamp...

I think it could be a nice city bicycle for people who live in small flats or for travelling with it in the luggage...

Greetings from Spain.

Framebuilder
    Your designs look great, I like these last few paint schemes. Don't know if it matters, but you might want to offset the rear drops towards the inside for a more realistic rendering.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Live Wire
    Your designs look great, I like these last few paint schemes. Don't know if it matters, but you might want to offset the rear drops towards the inside for a more realistic rendering.
    Sorry but I dont understand exactly what you mean, can you explain it?

Thanks.

Framebuilder
    Quote Originally Posted by charlichin
    Sorry but I dont understand exactly what you mean, can you explain it?

Thanks.
    You bet.
    The last few frames you posted have the dropouts offset to the outside of the chain/seatstays. Check out pics of bikes with drops that attach with a "hood" like those, the dropouts are all offset to the inside, that way they avoid possible chain/cog interference.
    It's a minor point for your pics I suppose, I don't know how realistic they are supposed to be or if these are all just concepts that will never actually be built.
    Either way, the pics are great....I've been thinking of adapting the green mtb on the first page to work in steel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Live Wire
    You bet.
    The last few frames you posted have the dropouts offset to the outside of the chain/seatstays. Check out pics of bikes with drops that attach with a "hood" like those, the dropouts are all offset to the inside, that way they avoid possible chain/cog interference.
    It's a minor point for your pics I suppose, I don't know how realistic they are supposed to be or if these are all just concepts that will never actually be built.
    Either way, the pics are great....I've been thinking of adapting the green mtb on the first page to work in steel
    Ok, I know what you mean, but the last 4 frames Ive posted were an assignment from a framebuilder, here in Galicia.

The design of the dropouts is a brand characteristic so its his design. I guess he has studied the interference with chain and cogs.

Actually, he made some 3D prints to be sure of that.

Thank you anyway for the advice.

Kind regards.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    some great models and renders on this thread. My suggestion for modeling application is PowerNurbs plugin for 3D Max

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    You make visually really good designs! How much do you think about frame geometry, measurements of the parts, aerodynamics, comfort and other issues, or do you just remodel existing bikes with your own visual ideas and part combinations?

In other words, do you do any material science, considering strength and durability of parts? Or is just visualisation?

Anyway, please continue posting your designs! Always nice to see them.
    One car less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow leopard View Post
    You make visually really good designs! How much do you think about frame geometry, measurements of the parts, aerodynamics, comfort and other issues, or do you just remodel existing bikes with your own visual ideas and part combinations?

In other words, do you do any material science, considering strength and durability of parts? Or is just visualisation?

Anyway, please continue posting your designs! Always nice to see them.
    First of all, thank you for your words! Its nice to receive support from you, guys.

Normally, Im using geometries and measurements from existing bikes, but modifying some of them.
    Regarding the mechanichal design, Im trying to improve my skills about that, and Im trying to learn how to use Linkage to model an efficient FS frame.

But for the moment, Im finishing my studies and I have no time to start any project.

Ill let you know when I start a new frame.

Kind regards.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Charlichin - These are amazing designs and renderings! Thanks for sharing.
    I'm a long time Rhino 3D user...are you using T-Splines for some of these organic details, or just nurbs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiggler View Post
    Charlichin - These are amazing designs and renderings! Thanks for sharing.
    I'm a long time Rhino 3D user...are you using T-Splines for some of these organic details, or just nurbs?
    Thanks, Dirt.

I ve just used NURBS, but lately Ive installed TSplines, and Im playing with it, so my next frame is going to be more organic.

Kind regards,

Charlie War.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Nice bikes. Post more if u have some. Im in process of making 3d model of DH bike, maybe i will post it here in next weeks...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 666Shifty View Post
    Nice bikes. Post more if u have some. Im in process of making 3d model of DH bike, maybe i will post it here in next weeks...
    Thanks for refloat the thread.

Ive been very busy the last months with exams and reports...but Im starting with Rhino again.

I have to practice to recover my skills, so for the moment Im modelling anoooother steel track bike.

The frame is almost finished and I think that its going to be in this colour with black components (seatpost, stem, bars...).

What do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-render12.jpg  

mtbr member
    Here is a render of the dropouts. You can see the hole for a tensioning bolt; something very useful, at least, for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-dropouts.jpg  

mtbr member
    New paintjob for the fixie frame, and the cut in the right seatstay finished.

Im also playing with a plugin for the Rhino to build organic shapes (such as carbon frames...), and here you can see a sample.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-render16.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-prueba1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Pro-E???
    I think his models are made with Rhino, dude. Rhino is a Nurbs modeler and doesn't translate well to PRO-E. All the parts would have to be separate and you would have to rebuild somehow in an assembly. Good luck with finding the CAD work......I remember school...good ole times ; )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiggler View Post
    Pro-E???
    I think his models are made with Rhino, dude. Rhino is a Nurbs modeler and doesn't translate well to PRO-E. All the parts would have to be separate and you would have to rebuild somehow in an assembly. Good luck with finding the CAD work......I remember school...good ole times ; )
    Im sorry, but he is right.

I would like to help you somehow, so please, let me know...

mtbr member
    Im starting again with Rhino after some weeks doing nothing, so this is my new project. I hope to finish it.

Columbus steel Lo Pro:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-frame4.jpg  

mtbr member
    The Lo Pro is almost finished.

Ive changed the seatstays design and the frame colour.

Im going to replace the rear hub with a Phil Wood, because the Chub is a bit chunky for this kind of frame.

The rims are Velocity Aerohead (650 front, 700 rear).

Nitto RB021 with Nitto stem and Campy Record seatpost.

San Marco Rolls.

SG75....

I hope you like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-bici4.jpg  

mtbr member
    (Almost) finished!!!

New rear hub, new handlebar (Nitto B211AA), CB Eggbeater 11 pedals...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-bici9grande.jpg  

mtbr member
    Another view and a detailed pic of the crankset and pedals:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-bici10grande.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-bielas1.jpg  

Nemophilist
    Gee;

That is most impressive, and I am jealous. I would love to be able to do that, just for my own pleasure if for no other reason. Still, it is at least partially pleasing to look at yours!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Gee;

That is most impressive, and I am jealous. I would love to be able to do that, just for my own pleasure if for no other reason. Still, it is at least partially pleasing to look at yours!
    Thanks, mate!

mtbr member
    New, and more classic decoration.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-smallgreen3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Playing with lights, material...

I have also modelled a Brooks Swallow (not finished yet) that fits better with the rest of the bicycle. New colour too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-smallblue1fondo.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-smallblue2fondo.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-smallblue3fondo.jpg  

Spice
    Dec 2008
    What software do you use for the rendering? I'm using Keyshot Pro, turns out with incredibly realistic renderings

mtbr member
    Im using Vray for Rhino, but if I could get better results with other sw, it would be great.

Maybe I could use an external program importing the Rhino model.

Any suggestions on how to do this? And what is the best rendering sw?

mtbr member
    First rendering using a HDRI file applied to an spherical surface around the scenario.

I have to try some mods to fix the strange reflections on the white background.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-smallred3fondo.jpg  

Nemophilist
    Hmmm...

I'm not quite sure what it is, but that one looks virtually like a photograph. More so than the others. Maybe it is the background? It may break the tension of a static background and look more alive, less canned. Just not sure, but it was an immediate impression. I don't particularly like the front tire breaking the border, at least in that fashion, but the overall piece is REALLY good.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Hmmm...

I'm not quite sure what it is, but that one looks virtually like a photograph. More so than the others. Maybe it is the background? It may break the tension of a static background and look more alive, less canned. Just not sure, but it was an immediate impression. I don't particularly like the front tire breaking the border, at least in that fashion, but the overall piece is REALLY good.
    Thanks, mate. Im really happy with my progress using HDRI.

Im thinking about using a different background, maybe a wall or something like that...

Lets see waht happen.

Stay tunned...

Charlie War.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by charlichin View Post
    Im using Vray for Rhino, but if I could get better results with other sw, it would be great.

Maybe I could use an external program importing the Rhino model.

Any suggestions on how to do this? And what is the best rendering sw?
    I'm not that experienced with rendering software only having used Keyshot 2 Pro myself, but it is extremely simple to use, everyone I know who has tried it has stuck with it. Rendering time's are quick, materials look realistic and everything is as straight-forward as possible.
    Here's a review
    KeyShot 2.0. All the Raw, Realtime Render Speed You Can Squeeze [Review] - SolidSmack.com - SolidSmack.com

Quality wise, the best i've seen is Bunkspeed Shot- although I use Creo/Pro Engineer which is not compatible with bunkspeed, so cant comment of its interface as I have never used it.

Bunkspeed Steps it Up a Notch with Shot Pro [Review] - SolidSmack.com - SolidSmack.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joehspicer@msn.com View Post
    I'm not that experienced with rendering software only having used Keyshot 2 Pro myself, but it is extremely simple to use, everyone I know who has tried it has stuck with it. Rendering time's are quick, materials look realistic and everything is as straight-forward as possible.
    Here's a review
    KeyShot 2.0. All the Raw, Realtime Render Speed You Can Squeeze [Review] - SolidSmack.com - SolidSmack.com

Quality wise, the best i've seen is Bunkspeed Shot- although I use Creo/Pro Engineer which is not compatible with bunkspeed, so cant comment of its interface as I have never used it.

Bunkspeed Steps it Up a Notch with Shot Pro [Review] - SolidSmack.com - SolidSmack.com
    Keyshot looks really good. I should try it.

Meanwhile, here you have a new rendering. Same model, same Vray configuration, same lights but different background.

I hope you like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-smallred4fondo.jpg  

mtbr member
    New project. Just starting out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-frame1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Is that a folding bike? I have worked on the first two prototypes to what eventually became the mezzo range of bikes possible the most difficult bike to design is a folder

Just noticed is that a gboxx mount?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ade ward View Post
    Is that a folding bike? I have worked on the first two prototypes to what eventually became the mezzo range of bikes possible the most difficult bike to design is a folder

Just noticed is that a gboxx mount?
    I agree. You have to check eveything, opened and folded, and check it again.

But I think its going to be a nice bike.

And, not, its not a Gboxx mount, but something similar.

Here you have the rear triangle, but its no finished yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-subframe.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Pinion?

mtbr member
    Pinion?
    Bingo!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I was interested in this but they were not forthcoming with any more details than on the website,

mtbr member
    I was interested in this but they were not forthcoming with any more details than on the website,
    You are right. I was lloking for some extra info, and its almost impossible.

Here you have a new pic, with wheels, saddle and bars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-bici3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Well, as ade ward advised me, a folding bike is one of the most difficult things to design in this field.

So, while I figure out how to solve the interference between frame and subframe the Pinion Brompton is in the fridge. This is my last model.

I used some things from the other Brompton, but the rear end is completely new, attached to the frame from the inside, so its narrower than the original B one.

Its for 120 mm rear hub, and, yes, its a fixed gear, but Im thinking in a front brake.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-bici3.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-rueda1.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-ruedatrasera.jpg  

mtbr member
    Well, since the fixed gear Brompton is almost finished, Im starting a new project.

NAHBS 2012 was very inspiring for me, so here you have a teaser:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-teaser1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Charlichin -

Great job on the designs and 3D work! I love looking at what you create. Are you and engineer or an industrial designer?

For a render engine I would give 'Flamingo NXT' a shot: Download Current Beta - Flamingo nXt
    It's FREE right now and the results are on par with some of the best renderer's. It also integrates directly into Rhino. I've used Keyshot (which is great) and some others but prefer Flamingo NXT. If you used the old Flamingo(which was terrible) this is nothing like it. They re-coded it from the ground up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-levers.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks for the hint. I will give it a try.

Meanwhile...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-frame1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    You got it, buddy.

mtbr member
    Im playing right now with Flamingo, but I have to learn how to use it properly.

For the moment, Im still with VRay:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-bike2.jpg  

mtbr member
    While I finish the cargo trike, Im starting a new project.

New wheels for a new frame.

Stay tuned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-bujedelantero.jpg  

mtbr member
    Well, since I had a problem with the Rhino file, I had to model the wheels again.

I also lost the frame I had modelled for using these wheels (you can see the picture and give your opinion on that).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-delantera1.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-delantera2.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-trasera1.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-trasera2.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-frameset1.jpg  

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast