Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Funny how fixing the rim caused a flat.

Glad I could help with your Rhino problem.
    Indeed!!! Hahahaha.

Thanks!

650b me

My first frame designed in SolidWorks

Somebody's gotta give Charlie a run for his money.

Here's my first personal project since buying SolidWorks 2012 this summer. It's basically version two of the 650b frame I built at UBI earlier this year. I've learned a ton about the software through the process of completing this frame design. I'm prepping myself for a return to a career in product design and development with an emphasis on solid modeling.

3D bicycle and frame design-650b-2.jpg

mtbr member
    That frame looks great! Very solid!

Maybe you can shorten a bit the chainstays...

Are you going to model the whole bike?

mtbr member
    Starting with the frame...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-teaserframe1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Frame: Columbus Spirit with carbon seattube.

Despite the real angle of the seattube, the virtual one is 74, because it joints to the DT instead the BB.

With this configuration, the frame has 370 chainstays (pretty short...).

The weight should be around 1200 grams.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-frame1.jpg  

650b me
    Quote Originally Posted by charlichin View Post
    That frame looks great! Very solid!

Maybe you can shorten a bit the chainstays...

Are you going to model the whole bike?
    Thanks, Carlos. The chainstays are 425mm. The frame I built at UBI has 420mm chainstays, and that did not leave enough room for a front derailleur. I figure adding 5mm to the chainstays and using a direct mount front der ought to work with this frame design.

I am working on modeling other bike parts. It would be nice to eventually be able to assemble the complete bike in SolidWorks. Modeling a riser handlebar with bulged clamp area has been a great learning experience. I will share some of these parts here as I model them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    Thanks, Carlos. The chainstays are 425mm. The frame I built at UBI has 420mm chainstays, and that did not leave enough room for a front derailleur. I figure adding 5mm to the chainstays and using a direct mount front der ought to work with this frame design.

I am working on modeling other bike parts. It would be nice to eventually be able to assemble the complete bike in SolidWorks. Modeling a riser handlebar with bulged clamp area has been a great learning experience. I will share some of these parts here as I model them.
    Just after my comment, I thought about de FD and you are right. Anyway, 425 mm is pretty short and those 5 mm extra should not change the behavior of the bike.

Im looking forward to see those parts.

Regarding my project, here you have the frameset, with the fork from my latest bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-frame2.jpg  

Framebuilder
    That's cool....looks like a Julie!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Live Wire View Post
    That's cool....looks like a Julie!
    Thats right! I was not thinking in JRD, but since Im fun of their works... the idea of the ST meeting the DT just came up.

I was fitting the wheels to the frame, and some parts (old and new), with the idea of modelling a 17 stem and maybe doing something new in the drive-train.

Suggestions, comments?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-bike7.jpg  

mtbr member
    Since the colour design was a bit classy and boring, here you have a more fresh version.

New paintjob and decals, new crankset and stem.

I have to finish the seatpost, and maybe I can model a Rotor oval chainring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-bike12.jpg  

Nemophilist
    Hey;

You really have gotten quite good at this. It is only down to tiny details to really portray a super realistic image. Round rims without flat tires even!

How about paying some attention to the seat? It appears to be polished anodized aluminum with a razor sharp leading edge. It would seem to be more realistic if it had a soft surface look with seamless shadow gradients and soft round edges.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Hey;

You really have gotten quite good at this. It is only down to tiny details to really portray a super realistic image. Round rims without flat tires even!

How about paying some attention to the seat? It appears to be polished anodized aluminum with a razor sharp leading edge. It would seem to be more realistic if it had a soft surface look with seamless shadow gradients and soft round edges.
    Thank you for the advice.

Here you have a new render with some mods: saddle material and edges, mini-seatpost, headbadge and model name (Galician word, BTW).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-bike17.jpg  

DIY all the way
    I'd really wish I had you CAD skills.

I make loads of things, but it's all based on a few notes, and what can be drawn on the back of a napkin.

Like my latest carbon frame, is based on half a sheet of A4 of scribbling and doodles.

Lately I've stepped up a bit, and quit on used napkins though

Magura

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magura View Post
    I'd really wish I had you CAD skills.

I make loads of things, but it's all based on a few notes, and what can be drawn on the back of a napkin.

Like my latest carbon frame, is based on half a sheet of A4 of scribbling and doodles.

Lately I've stepped up a bit, and quit on used napkins though

Magura
    Id really wish I could build my own frames.... hehehe.

Thank you for your words!

mtbr member
    Hi again, here you have the definitive version, with the fork in orange, new orange tone and yellow decoration in the saddle.

I hope you like it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-bretema1.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-bretema2.jpg  

3D bicycle and frame design-bretema3.jpg  

Nemophilist
    VERY nice;

I like the seat and the new orange. Like the new background a lot. Warmer, brighter, and more interesting without infringing.

Super detaily fussy opinion stuff -

- The light source (window/door) derived shadow further adds drama, interest, and realism without infringing. However, I would move the bike back from it (even just a little) so that these elements did not intersect. Or, move it forward so that they overlap more completely. With items like that, make them completely seperate or more completely integrated (at least 30%) because very partial engagement like this fools the eye by making the two conflict instead of harmonize. I hope that makes sense.
    - Also, the edge of the shadow on the floor should be soft along its entire length. Perhaps more in focus (crisper) as it nears the light source, but not hard edged anywhere as it is in the lower half here.
    - I find the stand distracting, but that's kind of picky. Perhaps changing its color - even very slightly - would allow the bike to stand apart from it a bit better. It sort of blends into the rear wheel too much. That might be my problem with it. Worth playing with anyway.

Very nice work.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.

650b me

OK so it's not a frame...

...but at least it goes IN a frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-wheel-front-650b.jpg  

mtbr member
    Lace that wheel up! Hehe.

Actually it looks good. Which SW are you using for modelling?

Waiting for more images....

650b me
    I'm using SolidWorks for my models. I only have the standard version, so I can't do photo-realistic rendering, unfortunately.

I've seen spoked wheels modeled. Maybe some of them are yours? I may try it eventually, but it's not a priority right now. I wonder if people can actually model a laced wheel accurately, bends and all. That would be a trick!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    I'm using SolidWorks for my models. I only have the standard version, so I can't do photo-realistic rendering, unfortunately.

I've seen spoked wheels modeled. Maybe some of them are yours? I may try it eventually, but it's not a priority right now. I wonder if people can actually model a laced wheel accurately, bends and all. That would be a trick!
    I model the wheels with the lacing, but I think I dont do it accurately, or so accurately as a real wheel, but they are pretty close (IMHO).

At least with radial and 2X patterns, its easy to do.

mtbr member
    New work in progress. Im not really sure about the TT, but I am waiting for your opinions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-frame2.jpg  

Nemophilist
    Umm....

Is that recess where the beer cooler mount goes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Umm....

Is that recess where the beer cooler mount goes?
    'cross, innit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shandcycles View Post
    'cross, innit.
    Exactly. Its for having a more comfortable TT for your shoulder.

Here you have the frame again, but with a tiny mod in the TT and the right CS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-frame3.jpg  

mtbr member
    This is how it goes for the moment.

Im thinking about doing the fork again, because I think this one has very thin legs.

It has purple singlespeed Chris King hubs, Thomson seatclamp, and 3T components (Dorico, ARX and Rotundo).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3D bicycle and frame design-frame5.jpg  

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast