mtbr member
    Sep 2010

$4.3 million photo

2480_44-gursky

Really? $4.3 Million for That Photo? | Raw File | Wired.com

Hell, i could've sold them one like that for $2 million.....

mtbr member
    Maybe it is $1 per pixel

Did the photographer give any reasons for such a high price?

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by newnan3 View Post
    2480_44-gursky

Really? $4.3 Million for That Photo? | Raw File | Wired.com

Hell, i could've sold them one like that for $2 million.....
    One "like" that isn't worth much.

It's a fascinating image several ways. The focal point is in the center, the composition divides the image in the center, the periphery dances your eye to the center with it's perceived motion, bringing the image to life. I would expect it is rather large and a real experience to stand in front of. The man is an accomplished artist who created a fine art movement and world class fine art is worth a lot of money. I'm a fine art photographer myself so maybe I'm a little biased.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    What a waste of 4.3 million dollars.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    Maybe it is $1 per pixel

Did the photographer give any reasons for such a high price?
    It was the sale price at auction..... Part of the reason I guess is the size and apparently he doesnt do too many of the prints thereby making it sorta rare.

Interestingly, below is the previous record holder for most expensive photograph sold at auction for $3.89 million.

Cindy Sherman, "Untitled #96."
    sherman3

mtbr member
    I'm sorry, but I really do not get this "fine art" thing. I went (got suckered into) going to a art show (art basel?) in Miami a few weeks ago and some of the stuff, like above, was rediculous. It was just random colors on a board selling for tens of thousands of dollars. One studio they had flash lights in frames, gas masks in frames, ladders in frames, and orange paper with slits cut into it in frames. It seems like my messy work table at work is just a mess. BUT, if I take a picture of it, now its "art"

Team Fearless Descender
    I do think it is a bit much, so I won't defend it 100%, but I equate things such as the very high price for this photograph, to things like pro sports players. Basketball, football, baseball. Are the guys that "play" these games worth the millions and millions they make to "play" a game? For me, I say no. But, people and sponsors are willing to pay, so they [players] don't turn the money down.

Oh, and I shoot product and architecture for a living, but I haven't quite cracked the million dollar mark for any image - yet! LOL.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt View Post
    I do think it is a bit much, so I won't defend it 100%, but I equate things such as the very high price for this photograph, to things like pro sports players. Basketball, football, baseball. Are the guys that "play" these games worth the millions and millions they make to "play" a game? For me, I say no. But, people and sponsors are willing to pay, so they [players] don't turn the money down.

Oh, and I shoot product and architecture for a living, but I haven't quite cracked the million dollar mark for any image - yet! LOL.
    I agree with you that I dont think anyone throwing a ball is worth millions, but its not a good comparison to expensive art. The players are "worth" millions because of how much money they bring in to the owners of the teams, areans, etc. No one single fan is paying millions to watch that player. It would be the equivalent of a art gallery paying millions for a piece of art, but then charging admission to see it so they eventually make their money back plus some. This I can understand from a buisness standpoint. But I still dont see paying millions or even in the thousands for one piece of art just to put on a wall.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by dkbikes4life View Post
    I agree with you that I dont think anyone throwing a ball is worth millions, but its not a good comparison to expensive art. The players are "worth" millions because of how much money they bring in to the owners of the teams, areans, etc. No one single fan is paying millions to watch that player. It would be the equivalent of a art gallery paying millions for a piece of art, but then charging admission to see it so they eventually make their money back plus some. This I can understand from a buisness standpoint. But I still dont see paying millions or even in the thousands for one piece of art just to put on a wall.
    You would do that because it will be worth ten or 100 times that much when/if you sell it, and it will attract visitors to your art museum. It's an investment that will be around a long time. Sports memorabilia would be a better comparison.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    You would do that because it will be worth ten or 100 times that much when/if you sell it, and it will attract visitors to your art museum. It's an investment that will be around a long time. Sports memorabilia would be a better comparison.

Bsieb / Dkbikes4life... Good points from both. I think you are both right. It is interesting what people will spend their money on. Crazy really if you think about it. I would never (Lotto winner or otherwise), for example, want, or want to buy a Rolex. But... don't have a second thought when spending more on say a fork, than some non-bike people spend on an entire bike! By the very fact of us being on this board (MTBR) we are all guilty of this sort of thing.

I guess its what makes the world go around?

"...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

mtbr member
    honestly that picture could have been taken with a disposable camera, it takes an eye to see whats there but its not worth 4.3 million by any stretch of the imagination.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    To be fair I think the photog (Andreas Gursky) has some other more interesting shots.....

andreas-gursky-photography-06

andreas-gursky-photography-07

andreas-gursky-photography-03

mtbr member
    Wish i could sell **** to a sucker for 4.3 million, that buys a lot of bikes hahah
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    i am a fine art fan myself. i only appreciate about 20% of what i see. that photo doesnt do it for me. but hey, to each his own.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Call me narrowminded or uneducated if you will, but I dont get it. I see a picture of a sidewal running in front of a lake....that scene runs rampant around here. The more I look at stuff like this the more I think I ought to become a photographer. Of course the more it makes me want to learn how to use my DSLR to its full potential.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    At least the new record holding picture subject isn't as hideous as the old record holder subject. Yikes- who'd want to look at that all day? Art spelled with a capital "F".