Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Where to start once I arrive.

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Shahannie 
#1 ·
Will be spending a week in Manila in November and over the last month I have read and read so much about mountain biking here and I am still lost at where to go first.

I will be bringing my own bike with me and just want some nice scenic routes with the odd trail and possibly at least one nice scary downhill path..

Open to pointers and places you have discovered.. cheers.

#2 ·
Good luck... I was in the same boat as you back in May. I rode Timberland, a "trail" in Pangasinan and the Sapat "DH" trail in Ilocos Norte. I was gonna try Baguio but it was raining hard the day we got there. The only thing I'll say is, I'll never be going through the hassle in bringing my bike back again.

#4 ·
Well if you plan to only stay in Manila it shouldn't be too bad. I traveled around the country mostly in my wife's family's passenger van that was usually full. I also had to partially disassemble the bike and put it in my bike bag and then cram it in the trunk area every time I wanted to travel with it.

Also, since I was flying with a bike I anticipated fees. At the time I was living in Nebraska, so getting to the Philippines always meant I had to fly out of 3 different airports. I did a little research to find out which airlines had the cheapest excess baggage size fees. I got lucky once and didn't have to pay any fees(Seattle to Omaha). Still, the quality (or lack) of trails that was available to me was a huge huge letdown. It was basically riding pedestrian foot/carabao dirt paths.

#5 ·
Okay, thanks for the heads up.. I should be ok on the flights as I am flying from the UK so it's London Duabi, Duabi Manila, and I am allowed 52Kg total babage before fees. I am most likely to stay in Manila so I shall play it by ear.. not too sure what to expect but I will just be happy to be there and take stuff in.. if it is not saying much then my trip takes me on to Kualur Lumpur, then Bali and then Thailand so between those four places there should be some riding to enjoy..

Thanks for your input..

#6 ·
EFMax... the good trails are not in Manila. You have to go somewhere else for the good stuff. This is not the forum to ask either... you should sign up and try this one:

PinoyMTBiker Community

Transporting a bike also usually means paying extra fees (most airlines charge oversize fees despite the fact that your bike weighs less than the limit disassembled). I followed this instruction to save money when I brought my DH bike to Whistler this summer:

How To Fly Cheaper With Your Bike - Pinkbike

I would be reluctant to do that if I were to fly my bike to Manila, however. =P

#7 · (Edited)
Ok, thanks for that. I am there for a week so I will see where I can get to within that timetable.

Flight wise, I am flying business class and Emirates have already told me that my bike bag fits within their size limits so there will be no extra charge if I fall within their weight limits. Malaysian Airlines only have a 40Kg limit but charge a really small amount in 5kg blocks for any excess weight.. but I will read up on the link you have given, thanks. Both airlines allow for an extra 15Kg for sports equipment and both allow 2x 7kg walk-on luggage so I will be well within my weight limits.

#8 ·
How did you guys pack your bikes for the airflight? The bike box or a bike carry case? If so, what are the better brands? I'm thinking of bringing my bike when i go home for good and was thinking of how to take it with me without damaging it. I was thinking of just a bike box since it looks like just a one time thing for me. Any suggestions?

#10 · (Edited)
Well I got myself one of these

Dakine Europe Bike : Bike Bag 15s

I got mine at what I would describe as a total bargain as I paid less than $240US - £150GBP and that was a good and better price than Chain Reaction.

The bag so far has flown me from the UK > Philippines > Kuala Lumpur > Bali and still I have four more flights to get home. So far, not one single problem.

It was a tight fit for my 26incher but I have 170mm forks but we got it in without taking the forks off. Holds everything but does add 8Kg to your cargo weight.. so my total bike weight with my lights and batteries plus tools is 25Kg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.