mtbr member
    Sep 2011

spokes: is it too short?

guys,
    i have had a 2 spoke length used on my wheel set 258mm and 260mm. according to the reviews that i have read its better to go on the next shorter length though it will not affect a milli or two when replacing spokes. so i purchased a box of dt revolution spokes 258mm in length, 72 pcs with a 12mm alloy nipples. upon assembly i noticed that the spokes came short i guess cause the tip of the threaded portion is just touching the rim eyelet, are my spokes too short? will this affect the strength of my wheel set? i ride cross country but love to do some jumps do you think the spokes might get loose from the nipples or could it be the nipples be broken? would love to hear from you guys.

mtbr member
    As long as they are threaded most of the way through the spoke nipples, you should be fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    thanks for the reply but guess what/ it is not possible to fix it, the rim is too offset when attach to the bike hehehehe need to buy another set of 260mm spokes to fix the problem

MTB B'dos
    Go check out this site and wheel building book, it will give you lots of very useful info. Wheelbuilding book for wheel building
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    i think it would be fine, as long as its trued/aligned properly

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    thanks guys, just got a set of 260mm from chain reaction cycle,uk. disassembled the wheels and replaced the non drive side spokes aligned it myself, the first time to align a wheel set just got the idea from youtube it was great i thought that aligning wheelset is too complicated but it turned out to be fun and challenging. anybody can do it with the will and determination to build your own wheelset.
    rode my bike for 100 km in 3 sessions the wheels are still aligned.
    guys its worth trying aligning your own wheelset and save some of the dollar

MTB B'dos
    Good for you, glad it worked out. Yeah building wheels isn't rocket science, well it can seem that way, just need loads of patience and time when you first get started is all and be willing to break a wheel back down maybe a few times as you learn.

Quote Originally Posted by derwin View Post
    thanks guys, just got a set of 260mm from chain reaction cycle,uk. disassembled the wheels and replaced the non drive side spokes aligned it myself, the first time to align a wheel set just got the idea from youtube it was great i thought that aligning wheelset is too complicated but it turned out to be fun and challenging. anybody can do it with the will and determination to build your own wheelset.
    rode my bike for 100 km in 3 sessions the wheels are still aligned.
    guys its worth trying aligning your own wheelset and save some of the dollar
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics