mtbr member
    Mar 2011

sending bike to PH

any idea on how much will it cost to send a mountain bike to the philippines from california?
    -----
    some drink from the fountain of knowledge...
    others just piss on it..

mtbr member
    If you're doing the balikbayan box route, you'll have to figure a way to stuff the wheelset into a 22X22 box (I think that's the largest one). I'm almost certain it will work... easier if the tires are off, obviously. As far as frame, well it's easier if you have full susser, that way you can disassemble the rear swingarm. So the cost would be the cheapest balikbayan service you can get.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Actually a balikbayan box does have standard sizes but you can also ship an odd size box. I have done that. Check with Manila Forwarder Balikbayan Box - Ship, Travel, Remit. Find and call their local rep.

Hope this is not too late. Where do you plan to ride. There is good riding arounf Santa Rosa about 20 mi south of Manila.
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

mtbr member
    May 2010
    how much does it usually cost sending a frame from the US using the balikbayan box? how many days does it take to arrive? do we have to pay customs in the philippines?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thanks, do i need to pay customs tax?
    -----
    others just piss on it..

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    My experience sending a BB box was that there was no additional charges for taxes or customs. The initial fee which, depends on your sending location and the company you use, is all inclusive.
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    im planning to have my LBS boxed it on its original box. im not sure whats the dimension of that box.
    -----
    others just piss on it..

mtbr member
    If you are flying to the PI, some airlines allow one bike box free (like Singapore or Asiana).

Hello
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    If you are flying to the PI, some airlines allow one bike box free (like Singapore or Asiana).
    THANK YOU FOR THIS INFO!!! I fly singapore, Cathay or Japan airlines!!!

It's true, it's more fun in the Philippines!!! I wish I could retire tomorrow..and go home.

sent from my rotary phone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesinoc View Post
    THANK YOU FOR THIS INFO!!! I fly singapore, Cathay or Japan airlines!!!

It's true, it's more fun in the Philippines!!! I wish I could retire tomorrow..and go home.
    Check out the Luggage restrictions of the airlines. It will normally say that a bicycle will count as one of your checked in pieces (even if it's oversized).

From Singapore's site:
    Bicycles
    For bicycles, you will be charged a standard excess baggage charge of 6 kg which is applicable for the first 15 kg of the bicycle. For every kg beyond the first 15 kg, normal excess baggage charges will apply. Excess baggage charges vary by zone of travel. As examples:

If you are travelling from Singapore to Malaysia and your bicycle weighs 20 kg, you will be charged a total of USD88 (at USD8 / kg). This is calculated as follows: 8 x 6 (for the first 15 kg) + 8 x 5 (for the next 5 kg) = USD88.
    If you are travelling from Europe to Singapore, the amount charged will be USD550 (at USD50 / kg). This is calculated as follows: 50 x 6 (for the first 15kg) + 50 x 5 (for the next 5kg) = USD550.
    For excess baggage charges between zones, please click here.

No excess baggage is charged if the total weight of your checked baggage and bicycle is within the free baggage allowance. Above which, a standard charge of 6kg for the first 15kg will apply. The normal excess baggage will apply after the 15kg.

Hello
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho View Post
    Check out the Luggage restrictions of the airlines. It will normally say that a bicycle will count as one of your checked in pieces (even if it's oversized).

From Singapore's site:
    Bicycles
    For bicycles, you will be charged a standard excess baggage charge of 6 kg which is applicable for the first 15 kg of the bicycle. For every kg beyond the first 15 kg, normal excess baggage charges will apply. Excess baggage charges vary by zone of travel. As examples:

If you are travelling from Singapore to Malaysia and your bicycle weighs 20 kg, you will be charged a total of USD88 (at USD8 / kg). This is calculated as follows: 8 x 6 (for the first 15 kg) + 8 x 5 (for the next 5 kg) = USD88.
    If you are travelling from Europe to Singapore, the amount charged will be USD550 (at USD50 / kg). This is calculated as follows: 50 x 6 (for the first 15kg) + 50 x 5 (for the next 5kg) = USD550.
    For excess baggage charges between zones, please click here.

No excess baggage is charged if the total weight of your checked baggage and bicycle is within the free baggage allowance. Above which, a standard charge of 6kg for the first 15kg will apply. The normal excess baggage will apply after the 15kg.

sent from my rotary phone

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My Bike survived it's trans-Pacific journey in a bike box/soft bike bag case. Cost of extra baggage (50lb weight) via All Nippon Air was $150 (from East Coast US to MNL) another 40 to my place in the boonies.

I was able to make a box within the 80 cu. in. bag size the airline wanted and fit the 90% disassemble bike in it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I just recently sent a niner frame via lbc to the philippines. I used the original box and got charged $65 for shipping and insurance. It arrived safely.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    thanks
    -----
    others just piss on it..

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    "I just recently sent a niner frame via lbc to the philippines. I used the original box and got charged $65 for shipping and insurance. It arrived safely. "

Holy crap that's cheap. In the East Coast I was charged close to $200 by Forex.
    Last edited by discombobulated_conundrum; 06-05-2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: incomplete post

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Pobox.ph - Philippine Online Box - just like forex, sea freight, but they offer non-standard box sizes depending on L, W, and H

Johnny Air -> not cheap but you won't wait a month before package arrives since it's air freight, but you'll pick up your item either in makati branch or sm megamall. Useful for small items (headset, handlebar, stem, casette, as long as its small)

I've tried both but for non-bike items. So far no problems experienced. Been using their services for over a year already with 5 to 6 shipments per month.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Here's what I got from PAL's website

Philippine Airlines :: Sports Equipment

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    ok already got a quote
    Last edited by walana; 12-12-2013 at 05:04 PM.