Thread: Pampamga action

mtbr member
    May 2010

Pampamga action

Hello all,

I am an active mountain biker & cyclist from South Africa, and a regular visitor to Phils, heading there shortly for three weeks This time I am bringing my hard tail Cannondale mtb along instead of my scuba gear. Will be based in Dau, near Angeles, and doing regular rides around Clark and the country side, but hoping to explore further afield with some kids in tow.

Wondering if there are any areas with off road routes or mtb parks in the broader area of north western Luzon: Zambales, north up along the coast, La Union etc or even up in the mountains, maybe even with some family accommodations, that we can go spend a few days at?

Or anyone it the area know some trails up & around the area like Mt Arayat etc

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Kosmonooit; 05-05-2011 at 09:32 PM.

mtbr member
    There are some trails in Subic...

mtbr member
    Kosmonooit: If you don't get enough responses in a few days, perhaps try
    http://www.pinoymtbiker.org
    it's a dedicated MTB forum for the Philippines. A drawback is that some some posters prefer local dialect vs English. But overall, everyone is very accommodating and friendly.
    We don't have any MTB parks (that I know of).. But local MTB enthusiasts always find ways to travel and explore. A common practice is to organize event and rides (usually very friendly/beginner pace) around the country.
    Check out this ride to Mayon Volcano and do other searches on it. I wish I could have joined, but had a medical convention to attend.
    Cheers and God bless!

Slave to the grind
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosmonooit
    Hello all,

I am an active mountain r & cyclist from South Africa, and a regular visitor to Phils, heading there shortly for three weeks This time I am bringing my hard tail Cannondale mtb along instead of my scuba gear. Will be based in Dau, near Angeles, and doing regular rides around Clark and the country side, but hoping to explore further afield with some kids in tow.

Wondering if there are any areas with off road routes or mtb parks in the broader area of north western Luzon: Zambales, north up along the coast, La Union etc or even up in the mountains, maybe even with some family accommodations, that we can go spend a few days at?

Or anyone it the area know some trails up & around the area like Mt Arayat etc

Thanks in advance.

clark has a few trails.

some awesome rides in bataan, if you can finda guide. if you do some searches there are some guided tours of the area.
    Let it flow, let yourself go, slow and low, that is the tempo.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks - will do. Travelling this week, going to be stopping over in Singapore for a few days and need to get a new helmet and shades, any suggestions for well-stocked bike shops with a good range of helmets in Singapore? Or is there something decent in Angeles area?

Walang Tagalog but my 'family' will be able to help

My impression for the bit of touring I have done is roads are generally safe, lots of slow moving traffic: trikes, carts, etc and quite a lot of back road options.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Singapore has a lot of bike shops. You can even try their only cool trail at Bukit Timah...I used to live there, but be prepared with the humidity.

mtbr member
    I wish I could help you on finding good trails in your area of destination but don't have any experience there. I hope the local forum was able to help you out.

Clark/Subic/Pampanga/Angeles area has many good roads to ride on.. but don't count on the streets being like other first world countries. Expect many potholes and speed bumps. Gravel and dust is the norm.

I bought a road bike thinking I wanted to start doing some triathlon training and sprint races. But found that a road bike was just not practical for me. For me a mountain bike is more practical and safe. Now as for hardtail vs. full suspension thats just up to rider's style and preference.

For safety, I would highly recommend that you always ride in a group.

Finding a good bike shop in Singapore might be much easier than finding one in Pampanga/Angeles.

Have a happy and safe trip!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the replies - tried to join the pin0y mtb bikers forum but haven't quite cracked the nod as yet, Now here in Dau with a bent front rotor (160mm) got a knock during shipping the bike. Tried a few mom&pops bike shops in the local 'hood but got weird looks when I showed the rotor, don't think they have ever seen mtb disk brakes before. I will try call some of the shops in Manila that advertise on the pinoy forum.

About the roads here: done some travelling around here before, nothing I haven't seen back in Africa. Actually its much better: there is a culture of giving way here.

mtbr member
    Yes, try the local shops in Manila... They would have better chances of fixing your rotor or even having a replacement than shops in Dau.

As for riding here... I've always thought of Manila roads as terrible to ride on, but I never thought of comparing them to Africa (I've never been there).

Just always be defensive when riding. General road rules here state "the bigger guy has the right of way."

Have fun & stay safe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    next time you are in Pampanga, check out the local mtb club Kabalen
    Mtb Rider, they got Facebook Page (last time i check)
    Try the Pinatubo Trail, they say its nice.