mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Bike Tours in the Philippines

Hi! I’m a student from Ateneo. Basically, for our Marketing class, our group is required to make a business proposal that’s new and unique here in our country. So we chose one-day bike tours. Since we don't know much about mountain bikes, we need your help. We wanted to provide a service that allows both locals and foreigners to experience some of our country’s natural beauty via bike tours and to help spread awareness about our rich culture and history. Our tours already include all transportation costs, entrance fees, lunch, and dinner. Then we will be making a website where our customer can just book a tour online.

So we need more data for our research. Kindly answer the questions below:

1. Do you use the internet often?
    2. Where do you usually bike?
    3. Are you a member of any bike associations?
    4. Have you heard of any bike tours here in the Philippines?
    5. Why do you like cycling?
    6. What is the best bike specs for you?
    7. What bike specs would you recommend for a beginner?
    8. What are the common problems you encounter when you bike?
    9. What are the solutions you would recommend to avoid or remedy these problems?
    10. How is information disseminated to the different bikers willing to participate in a tour/trail?
    11. What places here in the Philippines can you suggest that are great for biking?
    12. Do you think that our proposed business would click or be sustainable?
    13. Would you be interested in joining our tours? Why?
    14. How much are you be willing to spend if we were to take care of the transportation, food and other essentials for you?
    15. Any suggestions to improve the services we will offer?

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by bingyu; 02-03-2008 at 01:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    1. yes
    2. Santa Rosa to Tagaytay to Pagsanjan
    3. no
    4. No. Well maybe but not sure if that's what they call them. (Sabak Bike Stores that is)
    5. exercise, good outside activity, challenging, seeing new places
    6. ?
    7. ?
    8.diesel fumes, cars, trucks
    9. off road biking
    10. as many ways as possible
    11. Luzon Province
    12. nor sure
    13. have to know more about what you plan to do , where you plan to go etc.
    14. limited by choice. you'd have to have some real value added incentive to top just going out and hitting some trails with guys who know their way around.
    15. what services do you offer?

mtbr member
    1. Yes
    2. Northern California
    3. Maharlikan Cycling Club
    4. No
    5. Gets me off the couch
    6. All Mountain
    7. Any just get on one..
    8. time frame
    9. have more time
    10. Marketing
    11. I would ask the locals
    12. Yes
    13. Yes, see the beauty of me home land
    14. Not much.. im poor
    15. Get a hold of the Ultralord here in MTBR.. pinoy yun!

Veni Vidi Vici
    Hi Bingyu, this is a good program for tourism in our country... the sabak sports and adventures LBS and dealer of medium -high end MTBikes have been doing that for the passion and love for the sport.... they have organized several tours already for their customers like us in baguio, corregidor, sagada, banawe, norzagaray, bacolod, tagaytay etc and the next tour will be on guimaras... the participation ranges from 15 and the most number of attendees happened in their organized tour in corregidor, which reached a total of 48 mtbikers. Their vision aside from trail building, is to contribute in the tourism in the Phils through our beloved sport.... there has been number of foreigners and celebiries who joined their tour... and since they would like to develop it further, they will all be going to MOAB, this september and experience the MTB tour that is being done in the US (camping included)... you might want to hook up with them so you will be able to grasp more ideas about how it is done.... they might be able to give you some good oil. .. you can try reaching them at 028191733 you can look for Boy or Ricky, their shop is in pasay road makati located in ziebart bldg near don bosco... Good luck on your business proposal... and for sure that will be a good contribution for the sport

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

MTB tours in the Philippines

Hi Barelylegal,

Nice to hear that Sabak has been doing some MTB tours back home. It's the best and proper way to promote cycling tourism in the Philippines. Our country has so much beauty to show and needs to be exposed more...MTB cycling is one way to do it. Goodluck to Sabak's new endeavour. Give my regards to Tom and Ricky.

Is it true that some of the Sabak boys are going to Las Vegas Interbike and Moab this
    September? That would be nice...shoot me some PMs and I will try to join this event. Is their anyway also to hook me up for a "pass" for the Interbike event.

Another trail to check is Goosebery Trail, about 3 hours away from Las Vegas and on the way to Moab, Utah. This trails they said is better than Moab. But Moab is the mountainbike mecca and a must to visit in a lifetime. Me and Errol are going to Moab this
    Memorial weekend (last week of May). Errol has never been to Moab, but i've been their
    twice.

Fruita, Utah is another interesting place to visit and has more epic singletracks. never been to Fruita yet.

Akazan

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Slight Hijack here ...but i will be in the PH in a few weeks time and was wondering if there are any decentwell stocked bike shops ??

I will be in Manila. SF and Dumagette .

Cheers

Matty

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Not sure what SF is but there are many bike stores here. Sabak Sports has three stores. One in Makati, one in Alabang, and one in Santa Rosa. From the Santa Rosa store they have regular mountain biking trail rides on Tuesday Thursday Saturday and Sunday. I'm pretty regular riding with them. Saturday I rode 35 miles - some on road some jeep trails and some on singletrack. In Manila west of Makati but within a couple of miles is an area called Cartimar. There are several bike shops there as well (mountain and road). Near the Rockwell shopping Mall there is a good bike shop but don't remember the name. Sabak's also rents bikes. You just coming on a visit or business or to live?

Veni Vidi Vici
    Ey akazan, how is it goin? yea they are going to Interbike and if my schedule permits, I will be able to join them. it is indeed very interesting to finally be able to ride moab... hope we can see each other there... btw, I had less saddle time this year, because of overseas trip... and its a bummer.. thanks for the long holiday last week and we are able to ride 4 times... take it easy there buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by akazan
    Hi Barelylegal,

Nice to hear that Sabak has been doing some MTB tours back home. It's the best and proper way to promote cycling tourism in the Philippines. Our country has so much beauty to show and needs to be exposed more...MTB cycling is one way to do it. Goodluck to Sabak's new endeavour. Give my regards to Tom and Ricky.

Is it true that some of the Sabak boys are going to Las Vegas Interbike and Moab this
    September? That would be nice...shoot me some PMs and I will try to join this event. Is their anyway also to hook me up for a "pass" for the Interbike event.

Another trail to check is Goosebery Trail, about 3 hours away from Las Vegas and on the way to Moab, Utah. This trails they said is better than Moab. But Moab is the mountainbike mecca and a must to visit in a lifetime. Me and Errol are going to Moab this
    Memorial weekend (last week of May). Errol has never been to Moab, but i've been their
    twice.

Fruita, Utah is another interesting place to visit and has more epic singletracks. never been to Fruita yet.

Akazan

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

MTB tours in the Philippines

Hi Barelylegal,

Sorry for the hijack. Nice to hear from you too. I will be glad to met the Sabak boys in
    Las Vegas or Moab. Planning of going home after X-mas and i'm going to bring my MTB
    again.

Are you racing the TLDF next month, seems like at very nice festival? Briam Lopes and
    Hans Rey are coming as guest of the festival. Check it out and do the XC race. How's the trail at the Subic Bay area?

See you this September in Vegas and don't forget to hook me up for an Interbike pass. Just kidding, baka makalusot.

Akazan

Veni Vidi Vici
    Sorry for the hijack too

I am not joining the race in subic, I am however preparing for the 12 hour race of Sabak on May... trying to get back on shape after the holidays and the busy skeds I had last month... hope to see you there buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by akazan
    Hi Barelylegal,

Sorry for the hijack. Nice to hear from you too. I will be glad to met the Sabak boys in
    Las Vegas or Moab. Planning of going home after X-mas and i'm going to bring my MTB
    again.

Are you racing the TLDF next month, seems like at very nice festival? Briam Lopes and
    Hans Rey are coming as guest of the festival. Check it out and do the XC race. How's the trail at the Subic Bay area?

See you this September in Vegas and don't forget to hook me up for an Interbike pass. Just kidding, baka makalusot.

Akazan

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wmodavis
    Not sure what SF is but there are many bike stores here. Sabak Sports has three stores. One in Makati, one in Alabang, and one in Santa Rosa. From the Santa Rosa store they have regular mountain biking trail rides on Tuesday Thursday Saturday and Sunday. I'm pretty regular riding with them. Saturday I rode 35 miles - some on road some jeep trails and some on singletrack. In Manila west of Makati but within a couple of miles is an area called Cartimar. There are several bike shops there as well (mountain and road). Near the Rockwell shopping Mall there is a good bike shop but don't remember the name. Sabak's also rents bikes. You just coming on a visit or business or to live?
    Coming on Vacation and to see my GF whos from Leyte ........will check out the shops in Makati as well , do any of them have websites ??

Salmat Po

Matty

England

mtbr member
    Sabak website : http://www.sabaksports.net
    2007 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc
    2007 Giant Anthem 3
    2007 Titus Motolite II
    2008 Ellsworth Moment

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    B'yu you may consider Pinatubu guided tours and also get pointers from guided tours in Peru
    Great concept though