Thread: Youngstown Ohio

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Youngstown Ohio

Hello fellow mountain bikers. I will be in the Youngstown area over labor day weekend. Can anyone suggest some trails within a 50 mile radius?

Greatly appreciate any suggestions.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Moraine State Park fits your radius. Good rocky technical riding. Not sure about anything in Ohio.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Hermit
    I work in Y'town, and live near by.

Closest trails of any length would be at West Branch State Park, west of town. Head west on I-80 to I-76 - the state park is just a couple miles north of the interstate. Trails have an easier side (lakeside) and a more technical side (gorge side). And there's Quarry Trail as well - another more tech trail that is slightly separate from the rest of the network. It's been a wet summer, so the trails have suffered some, but bad areas have been routed around or closed.

Moraine is a great place to ride, but it's a bit further away. Head east into PA on I-80 and then south on I-79 to the route 108 exit to approach the park from the back. This place holds up really well to rain, but is one of the rockiest, most technical trails around. Not for beginners, but a TON of fun.

Beaver Creek State Park is a bit south. Head down route 11 to the route 154 exit and head east about 8 miles to the park. There is a bit of new trail here, plus a bit of old trail. The place is gorgeous and fun to ride, but doesn't have as much dedicated mtb trail (plus some illegal horse damage from rogue equestrians).

There are short beginner mtb segments in both Warren & Youngstown, but West Branch is your best bet for real riding. There are also a couple more options not too far outside your 50 mile radius.

If you need more details message me.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for all the help. I ended up hitting all three and had a blast. Although a little difficult riding flat pedals which is something I haven't done in a long time. Beaver Creek had some really fast flowing sections and was a blast but easy to get lost in. If anyone ever comes to South Florida and needs some trail advice, let me know.

Thanks again!